British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   favorate US traditions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/favorate-us-traditions-815822/)

kimilseung Nov 23rd 2013 8:05 pm

Re: favorate US traditions

I like Thanksgiving too, because of the absence of commercialization, some do make it religious and I give thanks that myself and family are lucky enough to be somewhere that we have a roof over our heads and food on the table. Those that thank god make me think of this. http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...od-de-nada.jpg

Sally Redux Nov 23rd 2013 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11004551)
I like Thanksgiving too, because of the absence of commercialization, some do make it religious and I give thanks that myself and family are lucky enough to be somewhere that we have a roof over our heads and food on the table. Those that thank god make me think of this. http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...od-de-nada.jpg

:lol: That's really good.

Melly Nov 24th 2013 3:12 pm

:lol:

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11001707)
Thanksgiving is mine, too. Basically because I'm a fat bastard and I love a big feed. Funny, I always thought of it as a secular holiday, myself.

That being said, I'm an atheist who loves Christmas, so what do I know?

SalopianFunk Nov 24th 2013 6:35 pm

420 bro, yo yo yo yo yoooooo...

But in all seriousness, Independence Day. Barbecue, beer, and freworks. And all the kitsch.

SultanOfSwing Nov 25th 2013 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by SalopianFunk (Post 11005599)
But in all seriousness, Independence Day. Barbecue, beer, and freworks. And all the kitsch.

That's my second favourite. The weather is nicer in July but for me, the food is better at Thanksgiving :D

Rete Nov 25th 2013 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11001831)
After a false start I now like Thanksgiving as well, it is a good time to just have family together and to enjoy a meal together at home, and each others company.

Now my wife's brother and sister and their families come over and we have a great time having a simple Thanksgiving as we want it and everyone enjoys. Good food and good people for company.

+1

Rete Nov 25th 2013 2:53 pm

My favorite holiday has always been Thanksgiving. It is a family and friends holiday where I love being with people I care about and are thankful to have in my life. I don't invite people if I don't care for them or them for me. Why would I?

Besides loving the food of the holiday, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, roasted veggies and lots of pies and cakes for desert, it is a day that is easy flowing, filled with catching up on the latest news and laughing our fool heads off at the remembering of years gone by.

We do say thanks before eating but we don't thank a deity but say "we are thankful for the good health, blah, blah, blah."

Rete Nov 25th 2013 3:03 pm

Is Thanksgiving a Spiritual Holiday or Not:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/GW/gw004.html

As per George Washington:

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

"Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness. "

As per Abraham Lincoln:

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/...hes/thanks.htm

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. >>>> They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy.

Ulsterman in Texas Nov 25th 2013 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 11006817)
Is Thanksgiving a Spiritual Holiday or Not:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/GW/gw004.html

As per George Washington:

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

"Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness. "

As per Abraham Lincoln:

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/...hes/thanks.htm

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. >>>> They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy.

Interesting post

SalopianFunk Nov 26th 2013 6:16 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11006712)
That's my second favourite. The weather is nicer in July but for me, the food is better at Thanksgiving :D

If Christmas didn't come with a roast, turkey day would probably rank number one for me, too. But then I'm also a sucker for barbecue, so maybe not.

Either way, they're both worth the wait.

SultanOfSwing Nov 26th 2013 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by SalopianFunk (Post 11008028)
If Christmas didn't come with a roast, turkey day would probably rank number one for me, too. But then I'm also a sucker for barbecue, so maybe not.

Either way, they're both worth the wait.

If we're talking US bank holidays (or the standard six I get), I like them all, really.

The summer ones (May, July, September) for the nice weather and BBQ and the winter ones for the turkey, which we do at Xmas as well, because we're quite frankly, brilliant.

New Year's Day is the odd one out because we don't do anything as such, except take down the Christmas tree and eat lots of sweets but it's a day off and a lie in, so it's all good for me.

kimilseung Nov 26th 2013 1:07 pm

I have problems with Independence Day, it is not so much the celebration of the establishment of a politically strong middle class, but the disdain for those ignored at the time of that revolution.

SultanOfSwing Nov 26th 2013 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11008480)
I have problems with Independence Day, it is not so much the celebration of the establishment of a politically strong middle class, but the disdain for those ignored at the time of that revolution.

It's a piss-up with lots of grilled meat and fireworks, WGAF?

Plus, I have to have a day off in July, it's in my genetic makeup :nod:

kimilseung Nov 26th 2013 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11008489)
It's a piss-up with lots of grilled meat and fireworks, WGAF?

Plus, I have to have a day off in July, it's in my genetic makeup :nod:

Its just another one of Those euro centric legacies. Piss up and eat up aspects are always welcome.

SultanOfSwing Nov 26th 2013 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11008503)
Its just another one of Those euro centric legacies. Piss up nd etc aspects re always welcome.

We can't be held responsible for the actions of those long dead. Enjoy your lie in instead, it makes the day much nicer :D