I do remember my school days:

2 x 45 minutes
Break 15 mins
2 x 45 mins
Lunch, 2 sessions, 75 minutes total
3 x 45 minutes
9 till 3.45
BUT
6 days a week, Wednesday and Saturday afternoons were for sports.

9 weeks summer hols?
Old May 7th 2005, 6:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A favor - US schools

If your child could benefit from having more homework time, or learning better organisational skills then I think a conference with the teacher(s) and counsellor is the best bet. Take advantage of the American system of pathologising everything and ask that your child's special educational needs be accommodated.

Bill Gates and other entrepreneurs who are disorganised no doubt have personal assistants who keep their schedules and issue reminders, many times daily. You may have to become your child's personal assistant in this regard.

With respect to mind-numbing work: that is down to high-stakes testing as introduced by Ross Perot in Texas and spread by George W. Bush across this country. It is *EVIL*. Your choices are to protest this in every way possible and to try to convince your school and/or district that teaching without a strict curriculum can still produce children who will pass the high-stakes tests; or to remove your child from public school in favour of either homeschooling or private school.

See http://www.fairtest.org/ for information on opposing these tests.

Also, this man does not "teach the test" but helps create fantastic minds:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4608476
Old May 8th 2005, 12:40 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Ah yes, the "lack-of-good-organisation-skills" gene. That'll be next to the Attention Deficit Disorder gene, I imagine?

Honestly, by all means say that your child has trouble organising his life, but at least credit him with some self-determination, rather than blaming it on his genes. Claiming a genetic predisposition to every minor flaw and personality trait is no better than a dark-ages belief in the law of fate and all one's troubles being God's will.

I agree with most of what you've said about the problems with the US education system, but as Anotherlimey said, in my school you didn't get your work marked at all if it was late by even one day. And whilst you're right that in many walks of life deadlines aren't that strict, in many others they really are. If I haven't finished my preparations in time to meet with clients or a supplier, I don't have the luxury of asking them to wait a day or two while I get my shit together.

If your son is an A-grade student getting F-grades because his homework is late, and if that hasn't motivated him to start getting work done on time, then I would suggest that he has other issues relating to school, achievement and self confidence. I know that feeling, because that's just how I was. I would write A+ essays, then be so lacking in self confidence that I would fail to submit them at all, or submit them late. Hell, at least he's still attending school, which is more than I did for a while at that age... None of which held me back in later life.

Your son's intelligence may be hereditary, but being a teenager (and being compared to a straight-As younger brother) is a passing phase. At least you care enough to be worried about his education, which is more than many parents do.

Yeah but all that bollox is in America. Move to Spain or somewhere similar and see how much people give a shit about deadlines being met.

Old May 8th 2005, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

Dare I ask if there's anything I can do now here in the UK to prepare my two girls (who will be 14 & 16 when we move next year) for the US system?
Old May 8th 2005, 3:07 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Yeah but all that bollox is in America. Move to Spain or somewhere similar and see how much people give a shit about deadlines being met.
Oh yes, Spain. That powerhouse of the European economy, and model of innovative business practices.

Portugal and Greece are pretty laid back about deadlines too, in my experience... and it's clear that their economies are a roaring success.
Old May 8th 2005, 3:24 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britnyank
Dare I ask if there's anything I can do now here in the UK to prepare my two girls (who will be 14 & 16 when we move next year) for the US system?
Hi! I don't have much time as I'm meant to be walking the dog , but here are a couple of things for starters:

It is up to you, as the parent, to inform yourself about the American school system. www will no doubt help, as will this forum. Be sure to look at sites that relate to the state that you are moving too as things vary a lot from state to state.

The US system is not currriculum based, i.e. you do not cover the various subjects in a straight line,as it were. Instead you accummulate 'credits' for different subjects, and these are split into different sub-subjects. For instance, you don't just do history and work yourself through the centuries and different wars and revolutions; you do US History, World History, World Civilizations, etc. The difference is probably most difficult for British kids to adjust to for Maths (which they call Math here - no s...). Instead of working through the various 'Maths bits' logically, they do Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry separately. My son, who had just got an Maths GCSE grade 'A' before we moved here, found this really difficult because he was ahead in algebra but behind ingeometry (or maybe vice versa...).

May I also quote from my previous post:

You will probably find that counselors (who are meant to assist students in subject selection etc.) are pretty hopeless: it's up to parents to ensure that their kids get all the subject credits they need, not just to graduate from High School, but for the college(s) they are planning to apply to. (NB: university is always called College here.) It is important to realise that what is sufficient to graduate from high school may not be sufficient to meet the requirements of universities. And don't expect the school to tell you when said colleges have moved their goalposts.

Some of these requirements do not make any sense at all. It can be particularly difficult for those who move to the US halfway through high school as schools here won't know what to do with your precious GCSEs. We had to fight to get the proper credits for our son. To help get proper credits for schooling in the UK, you will not only your daughters' grade sheets (called 'report cards' here....), but a detailed list of what was studied in those years (i.e. subject curriculums). This will help the school determine what credits to allocate, which in turn is vital for graduation from high school.

For anyone moving: when they ask you 'how many years French has she done', bear in mind that here they do each subject every single day. So a child doing French here would have 5 lessons a week, whereas in the UK they normally would have only 2 or 3. If possible, try to see if your daughters can look at the text books of some of the courses being considered for them, to see whether it looks too easy, too difficult, or seems to follow on from what they have been doing in the UK.

Schools can be very competitive here. In our kids' high school we found that all the bright kids were in classes for the very able and the 'normal' classes were reserved for the not very bright/not interested in learning/not very well behaved. To get them into the classes for the bright, they had to be tested by a psychologist, i.e. do a kind of IQ test, to prove that they are bright enough to cope... All the US kids had done this in elementary school, paid for by the schools, but we had to fork out several hundred $$$ to have this done privately.

Okay, the dog really needs to go now - HTH for starters!
Old May 8th 2005, 3:46 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Funny thing, is if they are doing well now, they'll probably do well (academically at least) in the US system. My college teaching years showed that very few US students had covered any calculus in high school unless they had done college prep or AP classes, probably about half had never done a science experiment that required apparatus of any kind. Most can't do arithmetic without a caclulator. These are not the priorities of the US system.

Your kids' biggest difficulty is likely to be fitting in socially.
Old May 8th 2005, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget you will have to supply the school with medical records proving that your children are up to date with all their vaccinations. Children aren't routinely given hepatitis shots in the UK but in NJ, not sure about other states, no child can attend school without these shots. I suggest you get them done in the UK before you come over.
Old May 8th 2005, 3:58 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Funny thing, is if they are doing well now, they'll probably do well (academically at least) in the US system. My college teaching years showed that very few US students had covered any calculus in high school unless they had done college prep or AP classes, probably about half had never done a science experiment that required apparatus of any kind. Most can't do arithmetic without a caclulator. These are not the priorities of the US system.

Your kids' biggest difficulty is likely to be fitting in socially.
Agree about fitting in socially being a likely problem. When we moved our sons found that their classmates were completely 'scheduled out' and didn't have time to make new friends...

As far as coping academically is concerned, I guess it depends where you are. Here, most of the bright kids seem to be doing calculus in high school, and tons of AP classes.

Ah, AP classes - another thing to beef up on! Advance Placement, i.e. college level courses undertaken at high school. Becoming increasingly important when applying to 'good' colleges. Can be very high pressure. Nice thing, though, is that they get college credit, so fewer credits needed to graduate from college. Which may mean graduating sooner. Which in turn means less college fees.

Oops, just opened another can of worms: college fees
:scared: Does the previous poster have a college fund? If her older daughter is 16, 18 months from now she'll be applying for college. Chances are they won't qualify for financial aid (including loans), and most of the scholarships are open to USCs only.
Old May 8th 2005, 3:59 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by mandpete
Don't forget you will have to supply the school with medical records proving that your children are up to date with all their vaccinations. Children aren't routinely given hepatitis shots in the UK but in NJ, not sure about other states, no child can attend school without these shots. I suggest you get them done in the UK before you come over.
Oh, yes, that's another requirement. BTW, we are talking about hepatitis B, which requires 3 shots at months, 0,1 and 3, so better to get this done sooner rather than later.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:03 am
Homebody

Just remembered something else that is important for anyone with kids close to college: SATs!

Entirely different from UK SATs. An absolute requirement for anyone going to college here. Requirements have changed this year, so to get up to speed on the latest requirements, go to www.collegeboard.com.

NB: Info on AP classes/tests are somewhere on the same site, I believe.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:09 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Oh yes, Spain. That powerhouse of the European economy, and model of innovative business practices.

Portugal and Greece are pretty laid back about deadlines too, in my experience... and it's clear that their economies are a roaring success.

I didnt say they were, but to be honest Spain is doing as well as the USA at the moment, for whatever reasons...
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...s/sp.html#Econ

And lets be completely frank, to a lot of people theres more to life than working 70 hours per week to pay for endless consumer products they dont need. It seems there are an awful lot of unhappy people here who would gladly swap their endless work drudgery for the more simple and often fullfilling life of actually spending time with their families, even if it meant giving up the new cars, massive houses and 56" TV's.

Last edited by ImHere; May 8th 2005 at 4:16 am.

Old May 8th 2005, 4:15 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Portugal
Oy mate. Don't know where you get your idea from, but Portugal is FAR from laid back. They just hosted the most brilliantly-run Euro Cup, and are not laid back when it comes to business in the least. (Speaking from personal experience here).

Plus, they all sit at the cafes after work and sip an expresso, take a full hour or two lunch, and have 4 to 6 weeks' vacation a year to enjoy the important things in life.

If Americans had a clue as to what life in Europe was truly like, they'd all revolt.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:16 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
If Americans had a clue as to what life in Europe was truly like, they'd all revolt.
I already have!
Old May 8th 2005, 4:21 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by izibear
Oy mate. Don't know where you get your idea from, but Portugal is FAR from laid back. They just hosted the most brilliantly-run Euro Cup, and are not laid back when it comes to business in the least. (Speaking from personal experience here).

Plus, they all sit at the cafes after work and sip an expresso, take a full hour or two lunch, and have 4 to 6 weeks' vacation a year to enjoy the important things in life.

I have to say I much prefer the European work/life balance as opposed to the US work/work imbalance. Its no wonder divorce rates, single parent family rates and the number of kids with serious societal problems are so high here compared to the EU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.