Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fave American Bevvies?

Fave American Bevvies?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:57 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fave American Bevvies?

Originally Posted by Patrick
Steel Reserve beer = 6% = one pissed Patty

If steel reserve is the liquid in the big stainless steel can....

thats not really beer - more commonly known as malt liquor AKA cobra, colt 45 et al

I had the mistake of having one the weekend before last... PHEW KNOCKED ME OUT

and i got laughed at for drinking malt liquor...
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:22 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Patty, huh? Is fatherhood mellowing you or something?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:38 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
It's a been a little serious on this forum lately so let's talk about our fave American drinks.

I prefer Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke but prefer Coke over regular Pepsi. I don't drink hardly any soda/fizzy drinks here. Still not found a ginger beer that has the bite like Fentimann's. In fact I drink less than I did back in the UK! My coworkers, many born and bred Southerners, drink their fizzy drinks like it was water! Ugh...

Heading for the red wine this evening!
I know one beverage I can't drink ... diet coke. I never drunk it before, straight regular coke guy. Turns out I have a "funny turn" when I drink it. Thought I was having a stroke with pins and needles down one side and a throbbing head. Just my bad luck the pins and needles were down one side. :scared:

Rushed to ER (meaning a friend rushed me to ER) and Bob's your uncle ... more debt; I have a one-off $1,000 deductible or prepay and then pay 20% of the rest. After various scans of my head, neck, EKG, blood tests and zippo. Zippo, I did not have a blood clot, I had not experienced a heart attack, my blood chemistry was sharp.

So I was sort of happy, I always wanted one of those brain scans to check if there was a tumour lurking around reading to pounce and liked the idea of getting told my heart was dandy and running like a well oiled machine/spring chicken ... so I got my brain scan, got my heart checked out in some style, just wish it was not done in such stressful circumstances.

Only later did I twig it was the diet coke, I drunk a couple of cans a week or so later and Bob's my uncle, same symptoms (except worse and not restricted to one side of my body, heart beat was all over the shop and a really throbbing head) really bad this time. I gave up drinking the stuff and have been free of said symptoms.

I have never experienced an allergic reaction before ... first time for everything I guess.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Nov 11th 2004 at 12:45 am.

Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:56 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AdobePinon
Down here in NM you learn to appreciate margaritas and tequilla. Yum![/QUOTE]
Double yum!!! i've spent my whole U.s experience down here in the south...my first Summer here my neighbours were amazed to find somebody who had reached their twenties without ever having tasted a margarita(heck the only time i'd had a cocktail was on holiday in Ibiza!!)

so of course i was introduced to the frozen margarita!! we lived within walking distance of a frozen daquiri bar too yumm i tried every flavour/combination.....margarita's still my fav though

Since coming to Texas I've noticed not only can't you buy anytype of booze other than beer and wine in the grocery store but you can't even buy that before noon on a Sunday!!! WTF?!

oh yeah wine that comes in a box ...very handy.....whaaaaat? hey that stuff tastes good!! i've had expensive stuff that tastes like muck!

Last edited by Celtic_Angel; Nov 11th 2004 at 1:08 am.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:56 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I thought NC had some law that the alcohol content in beer couldn't exceed 5%. Are you sure this Steel Reserve is really 6%? Maybe it's 0.6!!

NC Penguin
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:03 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warksgirl
These flavoured martinis that are in fashion are good. I had one that was called a Lemon Drop and it was fab.
Ah, martinis. Now you're talking.

Had a couple of odd martinis whilst visiting different parts of the States. On a visit to the San Francisco area, I was taken to a jungle themed restaurant and ordered an "elephant" size martini. I think this was the only size for this drink. It was gargantuan. Not surprisingly, I didn't finish it. I didn't pay for it either (my friend was paying).

Then, on a really fun trip in NY in 2000 my friend and I went out for dinner and I ordered some weird flavored martini from an extensive martini menu. The drink was blue! Tasted OK though but my pee didn't turn blue thankfully.

On that same trip, I got dragged to karaoke, American style by my spouse's best friend who lived in NY. Drank hurricanes that night. Also was asked to show ID to get into a bar! I was shocked. Maybe it had something to do with the "penguins" in my hair!

Those were the days...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 11th 2004, 2:32 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Since coming to Texas I've noticed not only can't you buy anytype of booze other than beer and wine in the grocery store but you can't even buy that before noon on a Sunday!!! WTF?!
The 12 o clock booze thing caught me once - dunno why, it's the same deal as in Scotland. But this Sunday I managed to time it just right at Albertsons and arrived at the checkout with my beer just after 12. It's the first time ever that I've picked the longest supermarket queue to stand in.

Sounds like you need to make your way to a liquor store. I noticed today that a new liqour store has opened near us and I was particularly interested to note that the store is called "Celtic Liquor". I look forward to visiting to see what, if anything, makes it Celtic.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I really like a beverage called "Blue Moon" a earthy wheat based beer, not too dissimilar to Stella Artois. (I still prefer Stella though)
Are you kidding me??? Blue Moon almost made me go off wheat beers for good, and it tastes nothing like Stella! Try a Harpoon UFO or a Celis White for a good wheat beer.

As for beer getting worse the further southesat you go, I don't think that's true. I've had great beer from Washington State, Maine, Texas, Florida and most other states in between, you just need to know where to look and what to look for!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a refit in our local 'King's' supermarket (incidentally this chain is owned by M&S but virtually never sells any M&S produce ).

They used to have a sectioned off area to sell alcohol but now it's in the usual produce aisle.

My husband was in there last week and put some Heineken in the trolley. He got to the checkout and they had a young fellow on the till packing all the groceries for the customers.

Suddenly he stopped when he spotted the Heineken coming down the conveyor belt.....he had to call an older member of staff over....and it was explained to my husband that under 21's are not allowed to even *touch* the bottles of alcohol..... LOL!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:03 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Suddenly he stopped when he spotted the Heineken coming down the conveyor belt.....he had to call an older member of staff over....and it was explained to my husband that under 21's are not allowed to even *touch* the bottles of alcohol..... LOL!

LMAO!! are you serious!!! talk about making it desirable every 21 yr old in that place is gonna be off his head drunk for weeks!!! delighting in the consumption of the evil nectar mwaahaaahaaa
Old Nov 11th 2004, 2:19 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I like Mud-Slides that they sell a Ruby Tuesdays but I prefer Vodka and Red Bull.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Englishmum
<<snip>>

My husband was in there last week and put some Heineken in the trolley. He got to the checkout and they had a young fellow on the till packing all the groceries for the customers.

Isn't that like in bars where under 21s can work but cannot work behind the bar serving drinks to customers? I suppose they can clear tables (alcohol has already been drunk and the bottles, cans, glasses are empty).

NC Penguin
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:54 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

My fave bartender

http://www.virtualbartender.beer.com/beer_usa.htm

Ah yes, very atheltic girl. Got her doing cartwheels etc.

Most impressive, even the tatoo on her @rse, but "get me some nuts" did not provoke the response I anticipated :scared:
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Stewarts Orange Cream Soda. Mmmmm!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Fave American Bevvies?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Isn't that like in bars where under 21s can work but cannot work behind the bar serving drinks to customers? I suppose they can clear tables (alcohol has already been drunk and the bottles, cans, glasses are empty).

NC Penguin
Well, I don't know about other States but here in New Jersey you can actually have 18 year old pole dancers working in bars but they're not allowed to drink or serve alcohol LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.