British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fave American Bevvies? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fave-american-bevvies-265752/)

NC Penguin Nov 10th 2004 8:17 pm

Fave American Bevvies?

It's a been a little serious on this forum lately so let's talk about our fave American drinks.

It's odd but whilst I lived in the UK I used to enjoy a Southern Comfort from time to time. Since moving to the US, I've barely drunk any of the stuff, even though it's a lot cheaper (and comes in much bigger bottles).

I don't like American wine (and most "New World" wines) so I'm still drinking old world plonk on the whole.

Sweet ice tea is fine if it's made right (none of the brown colored water, please!) and too much ice in it spoils the taste. The slice of lemon is essential too.

Long Island Ice Teas are nice until I realized how much alcohol is contained in one measure. Oh well. I live and learn :rolleyes:

The concept of light beers is too much for me and I don't drink any beer here (I liked non-American brews in the UK).

I prefer Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke but prefer Coke over regular Pepsi. I don't drink hardly any soda/fizzy drinks here. Still not found a ginger beer that has the bite like Fentimann's. In fact I drink less than I did back in the UK! My coworkers, many born and bred Southerners, drink their fizzy drinks like it was water! Ugh...

Heading for the red wine this evening! :)

Manc Nov 10th 2004 8:19 pm

Re: Fave American Bevvies?

I really like a beverage called "Blue Moon" a earthy wheat based beer, not too dissimilar to Stella Artois. (I still prefer Stella though)

I don't do liquors or the hard stuff. mainly because I mixed with lemonade and it's just not the same here.

tony126 Nov 10th 2004 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
It's a been a little serious on this forum lately so let's talk about our fave American drinks.

It's odd but whilst I lived in the UK I used to enjoy a Southern Comfort from time to time. Since moving to the US, I've barely drunk any of the stuff, even though it's a lot cheaper (and comes in much bigger bottles).

I don't like American wine (and most "New World" wines) so I'm still drinking old world plonk on the whole.

Sweet ice tea is fine if it's made right (none of the brown colored water, please!) and too much ice in it spoils the taste. The slice of lemon is essential too.

Long Island Ice Teas are nice until I realized how much alcohol is contained in one measure. Oh well. I live and learn :rolleyes:

The concept of light beers is too much for me and I don't drink any beer here (I liked non-American brews in the UK).

I prefer Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke but prefer Coke over regular Pepsi. I don't drink hardly any soda/fizzy drinks here. Still not found a ginger beer that has the bite like Fentimann's. In fact I drink less than I did back in the UK! My coworkers, many born and bred Southerners, drink their fizzy drinks like it was water! Ugh...

Heading for the red wine this evening! :)

Like you I enjoyed my southern comfort mixed as a cocktail called a 'slow screw'. I did say cocktail. I miss a good pint of M&B bitter but have acclimatised to what is on hand here. Do not have that much really but where do you get your 'red plonk' from as it is difficult to see a good range of french wines in my area.

NC Penguin Nov 10th 2004 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
Like you I enjoyed my southern comfort mixed as a cocktail called a 'slow screw'. I did say cocktail. I miss a good pint of M&B bitter but have acclimatised to what is on hand here. Do not have that much really but where do you get your 'red plonk' from as it is difficult to see a good range of french wines in my area.

I used to drink Southern Comfort and lemonade. Manc's right though. American lemonade is not the same. Probably explains why I don't drink SC any longer.

As for old world plonk, my everyday drinking red would be an Italian wine from Kroger. Can't remember the name but it's highly drinkable and not dry. I haven't found a French everyday drinking red but I should stop by my local "Total Wine" (or Total Wino as I like to call it) to see what they have on offer.

Total Wino is a wine warehouse kind of store. They're in NC and VA (and maybe other states).

NC Penguin

TexasPenguin Nov 10th 2004 8:47 pm

The 100 proof Southern Comfort you can get here is wayyyy better than the stuff in Blighty!

Shiner beer (0nly available in Texas though) is pretty good - let it warm up a bit :scared: and it's even better!

Really miss Robinsons barley water though!

Tone Nov 10th 2004 8:49 pm

I'm going to do a couple of shots of Red Headed Sluts when I get off work, should finish the day off nicely...or just end the day

Roightmush Nov 10th 2004 8:56 pm

Fat tire
Brewed in Fort Collins CO but available in other states.
I recently enjoyed a pint of it in San Jose

AdobePinon Nov 10th 2004 9:45 pm

:mad: Ugh! Flat Tire. Stuff gets everywhere. Virus in a 12-oz bottle. Was going to leave this thread alone until someone went and mentioned the devil spawn. (OK, sometimes it's your only choice, I know...)

OK, general rule is that beer gets worse moving from Northwest to Southeast. So, if you're in NC you'll have problems. Contrary to popular belief, there is a lot of good beer west of the Rockies. East of the Rockies and you're in the rough.

Shiner can be gotten in NM and CO too. OK when it's the cheap beer on tap, but nothing too exciting. At least it's cheap in the stores too.

Recommend Deschutes and Full Sail. Deschutes is hard to find in NM though.

Blue Moon is decent. If you like that, you might also try Widmer Hefeweizen if you can find it where you are.

Southern Comfort can be had in 120 proof form too, for those who really want to get plastered. Talking of hard stuff, a not-so-well-known fact is that the stores at Heathrow will let you taste test their Scotch. Worth doing now and again since you really have to keep a bottle or two of the stuff around, so it might as well be good.

Wine's just like everywhere - ranges from crap to great, not necessarily with price.

Down here in NM you learn to appreciate margaritas and tequilla. Yum!

Jan Alaska Nov 10th 2004 10:00 pm

I've found linenkugels red is pretty good (brewed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) apart from that sad to say i'm still drinking British beer .. boddingtons, Hens Tooth and latest find McEwans scotch ale. Yes I am a girlie but I've always preferred real ale / beer :)

BritGuyTN Nov 10th 2004 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
I really like a beverage called "Blue Moon" a earthy wheat based beer, not too dissimilar to Stella Artois. (I still prefer Stella though)

Blue moon is great, I also like pyramid another wheat beer

We have this local brewery called Yazoo, they have all kinds of stuff that sells in the local bars and you can buy kegs of...

check it here

www.yazoobrew.com

Most of the time I drink miller or bud shite - I can't argue with 50% less calories than heinekin etc

Pimpbot Nov 10th 2004 10:51 pm

I like Fat Tire and also enjoy a brew called Kilt Lifter which I believe is brewed locally in Tempe, AZ. Sam Adams is ok, just don't try the Cranberry version :eek:

Pimpbot Nov 10th 2004 10:56 pm

I forgot Anchor Steam. Great beer.

dbark Nov 10th 2004 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I used to drink Southern Comfort and lemonade. Manc's right though. American lemonade is not the same. Probably explains why I don't drink SC any longer. <snip>
NC Penguin

Takes me back a bit! SC & lemonade used to be mine too. Haven't had it for ages and anyway, I live in a dry county :(

Oh well.

warksgirl Nov 10th 2004 11:47 pm

These flavoured martinis that are in fashion are good. I had one that was called a Lemon Drop and it was fab.

Patrick Nov 10th 2004 11:49 pm

Steel Reserve beer = 6% = one pissed Patty