Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Father-daughter Dances

Wikiposts

Father-daughter Dances

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:13 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Father-daughter Dances

Or Hollywood, Ca.

http://www.hollywoodpurityball.com/pledge.php

"Once you pop, you can't stop."

ZOMG
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Btw, I wonder if the teen thing is more regional, say a southern thing?
I don't know about regional, but in my last town, they had them for that reason.

Doesn't seem to be such a big thing in my current town, actually haven't heard anyone talk of it at all.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Do you consider Colorado Springs to be the south?

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/virgin-daughters/
Or Hollywood, Ca.

http://www.hollywoodpurityball.com/pledge.php

"Once you pop, you can't stop."

ZOMG
lol, I've never heard of them. When my older daughter was a teen (ok, we spent the last half of her teen years in the UK) it certainly wasn't something that I'd ever heard of. I would think the south is a bit more religious and more concerned with virginity and the lack of it...
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:47 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Do you consider Colorado Springs to be the south?

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/virgin-daughters/
That's it! (the documentary I saw) - thanks for finding it, I knew I didn't imagine it.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 7:59 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's it! (the documentary I saw) - thanks for finding it, I knew I didn't imagine it.
You're welcome. I didn't know it was lost but I'm glad I found it.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:14 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
How creepy are these?
I love the introductory passage. "..... so many twinkles int the eyes of little girls,......" No, not creepy at all. *shudders*
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The father-daughter dance was certainly an experience. I went in jeans and a plain buttoned shirt, my daughter chose stretchy leggings and a t-shirt. We arrive a few minutes after it began, the people we walked in (due to parking at the same time, I have no idea who they were) with made me feel very under-dressed. The father was dressed in full military regalia, his daughter in a puffy dress. Another "couple" were equally dressed-to-the-nines. I was relieved that in the dance hall (school cafeteria) there were an even mix of people dressed like me and guys in tuxedos, about 15 or so. Only three couples were on the dance floor, but my daughter came to dance so she didn't want to help herself to the free lemonade and cake, or wait for a danceable song, so she dragged me out there and started her thing. I suddenly became very self conscious and shuffled awkwardly to the weak beat (it was Taylor Swift), regretting that I didn't drink a flask of something strong which is what used to help me get on the dancefloor back in my younger days. As the dancefloor filled up I got much more comfortable and they actually player songs I could dance to. There were definitely a few guys who were just as creepy as I thought they'd be, but most guys were actually rather normal and it was more like a family wedding. The creepy guys really stuck in my mind though, there were at least three out of the twenty-odd early attendees who were a bit too touchy-feely. And you really aren't supposed to look at your daughter like that, this isn't a prom, you won't be getting lucky tonight (I hope!). We were there for an hour. During a break we had from dancing, my daughter complained about feeling unwell and then promptly threw up in the bin that we were conveniently right next to. After she was satisfied that she had finished, we made our way to the exit where she suddenly threw up again. I stood around trying to find someone who looked like they were in charge, which was very hard to do due to the number of smartly dressed people and the people taking money ignored us. One of the other dads managed to find someone for me while I comforted my daughter. A bit of clean up and we went home. I'm betting that a few of those creepy dads would have enjoyed showering with their daughters but in my case we were cleaning vomit out of hair. While at the entrance, I noticed that most of the dads in tuxedos and suits were in a long queue for the photographs and us plain-clothes dads would probably have been outnumbered by the end of the event. The vomiting thing was probably due to over excitement and jumping around with a belly full of lemonade, she wasn't unwell afterwards.

Justin Bieber - it's clear he can sing (if horribly high-pitched), but his songs are awful. Two of them in an hour?! I rarely swear but that Cha Cha Slide song from about 10 years ago is plain shit - the guy in front of me during it was far too familiar with the moves, I bet he requested it. I would have put some particular song requests in but then I realised that most parents probably don't let their young kids listen to inappropriate songs like I do. As a dance-lover, my daughter had a great time and wanted to go again next year. This thing should really be a family dance event, restricting the sexes is just weird. My son and wife would have loved to go to a thing like this, and there are no weddings left to be had amongst our friends and family so not much further opportunity. Jumping around the living room seems to be the limit for us.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly sounded like you guys had errr....an event of it
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:43 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for getting back and letting us know how it went.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
This thing should really be a family dance event, restricting the sexes is just weird. My son and wife would have loved to go to a thing like this, and there are no weddings left to be had amongst our friends and family so not much further opportunity. Jumping around the living room seems to be the limit for us.
At my kids school they have dads night (but kids can also take a grandfather or uncle in place of dads) and a seperate mothers night. The mothers night was cute we had cookies, made/decorated a plant pot then each kid got ot plant a flower to take home. Fathers night they carved pumpkins.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough

I don't know about father daughter dances, but in the South we had cotillion. As the lead character of "The Big Bang Theory" described cotillion, "It gives middle to upper class children the skill set to be able to survive in 18th century Vienna." We were tought manners, proper place settings, classic dancing ie the waltz, and punch bowl etiquette. Then at the end we had a dance. I think I'm still scarred.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_GG_Byron
I don't know about father daughter dances, but in the South we had cotillion. As the lead character of "The Big Bang Theory" described cotillion, "It gives middle to upper class children the skill set to be able to survive in 18th century Vienna." We were tought manners, proper place settings, classic dancing ie the waltz, and punch bowl etiquette. Then at the end we had a dance. I think I'm still scarred.
Not just in the south but in New Jersey too. Although the Cotillions my daughter attended were not a father/daughter thing...it was just teens and it was by invitation only.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not just in the south but in New Jersey too. Although the Cotillions my daughter attended were not a father/daughter thing...it was just teens and it was by invitation only.
Good to know they're traumatizing youths the country over, I still shake a little when I see a shrimp fork.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

jackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nice

I went to the father-daughter dance with my dad in California, so I don't think it's regional.

I don't think there's anything creepy about it. I went and ate cookies and played with my friends, I danced with my dad only once and was on his shoes as well.

I remember he just wore a suit, it was like business casual attire, though all the little girls were pretty dressed up in comparison to their fathers (obv the mothers' doings).