British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fat Ass... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fat-ass-246700/)

Yosser Aug 6th 2004 7:49 pm

Fat Ass...

About 3 weeks ago, wife and I was going through some pics of our summer vacation in Destin FL, I came across this pic of me bending over with what could be described as a "beer gut" hanging over one's shorts....it was one of those weird angle photographs, that really looked weird....(yeah right I hear you cry;) ).

Anyways I decided to up my exercise from working out 3 times a week, to running 30 mins every morning before work as well as my afternoon workouts and really sticking to a clean diet. so far so good, as the pants are getting looser.

Matey was walking around Bally's last night with this hand machine that tests body fat.......OMG, that can't be right I said it must be wrong.."yeah right" he said "everyone says that!".

I'm coming upto 31 in september, I was 195lbs with a 34" waist when I first came here, now its like swimming against the bloody tide....is this when it all goes to rat-shit and you just fall apart???
I mean what the F*** do I have to do, run a bloody marathon every morning :scared:

LuTziE Aug 6th 2004 7:53 pm

you will hate me for saying this.......
i cannot gain weight, i eat what can best be described as junk, lots of choccie, chips, etc, never gained a lb, still a svelt 170lbs and 6 ft 2 tall
i look like someone draped a dead spider over a matchstick

Tone Aug 6th 2004 8:05 pm

Got you beat 160lbs but only 6'1"

jambo_2004 Aug 6th 2004 8:15 pm

I'm 163. Before I moved here I was 135. I never thought I looked unhealthy, in fact neither did my familly and mates back in scotia. When I came here the wifes family comented that I was way too thin etc etc. I don't care about the weight gain really as I feel pretty healthy, it's the gut that pisses me off, never had it before I came here. Anyone got a remedy for that? Everyone suggest sit-ups...but they don't do sh** for me.

Manc Aug 6th 2004 8:22 pm

My body is a temple.

narrow waist, broad shoulders, yes and athletic V shaped body me.

Yosser Aug 6th 2004 8:34 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
My body is a temple.

narrow waist, broad shoulders, yes and athletic V shaped body me.
lol;)

you women think you have it rough....I mean I had hair up until a year or so ago....thats now transporting itself to arse,back, shoulders and ears...

Yet another thing the bloody sunshine is so bright here in Texas, if I leave the shades at home, I have to squint everywhere and that is now leaving signs of crows feet.....

Time to slit the wrists me thinks:eek:

Lion in Winter Aug 6th 2004 8:57 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
My body is a temple.

Um, what kind of temple. One of those massive square Greek number with columns all around it, or a pyramid?

Don Aug 6th 2004 8:58 pm

Re: Fat Ass...

Originally posted by Yosser

I mean what the F*** do I have to do, run a bloody marathon every morning :scared:
No, just stop eating more than you need :lecture:

Sorrrreeeee!!! Boring answer but the simple truth.

Yosser Aug 6th 2004 9:00 pm

Originally posted by The Don
No, just stop eating more than you need :lecture:

Sorrrreeeee!!! Boring answer but the simple truth.
Ok...ok....I'll stop eating the lettuce and just eat the water then!;)

mattbutt Aug 6th 2004 11:26 pm

Ok...ok....I'll stop eating the lettuce and just eat the water then!;)
I just read this thread, I though what a load of whining women moaning about the size of their arse's.

Then I realised that it was a load of men!!!! WTF!!!!

When did men start worrying about crap like that? I think maybe since you lot came to Yank land you started putting on weight, I think you also all became very vein too!

Give me 8 pints and kebab any day of the week followed by a weekend sat on the sofa watching TV.

veryfunny Aug 7th 2004 1:32 am

About 3 weeks ago, wife and I was going through some pics of our summer vacation in Destin FL, I came across this pic of me bending over with what could be described as a "beer gut" hanging over one's shorts....it was one of those weird angle photographs, that really looked weird....(yeah right I hear you cry;) ).

Anyways I decided to up my exercise from working out 3 times a week, to running 30 mins every morning before work as well as my afternoon workouts and really sticking to a clean diet. so far so good, as the pants are getting looser.

Matey was walking around Bally's last night with this hand machine that tests body fat.......OMG, that can't be right I said it must be wrong.."yeah right" he said "everyone says that!".

I'm coming upto 31 in september, I was 195lbs with a 34" waist when I first came here, now its like swimming against the bloody tide....is this when it all goes to rat-shit and you just fall apart???
Move to Cali, you will lose the weight quick. Everyone here is into healthy eating and working out.

Steff Aug 8th 2004 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Yosser

:

My husband sounds the same way. He was 169 pounds when he came over and now he is 210!! Now he looks skinny with a beer gut like one of those starving african children.Hehe, he will probably kill me now.

Chopper-Chris Aug 9th 2004 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Steff
My husband sounds the same way. He was 169 pounds when he came over and now he is 210!! Now he looks skinny with a beer gut like one of those starving african children.Hehe, he will probably kill me now.

I sit down for most of my day at work, and actually, I always have, but it never really seemed to matter, I kept on top of the weight without much in the way of excersize...since I got to the US though I keep getting people back home telling me that I've put on a lot of weight...

I'm not sure that 'a lot' is that accuarte but I know that I've gained a coupld of pounds...

American Diet?
American Food?
Lack of Proper English Beer?
Lack of excersize?
Getting older?

Probably all of the above...

I'll start to think about doing something about it when I hit 500lbs

:eek:

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 9th 2004 7:43 pm

Lack of Proper English Beer?

I am putting that down to losing weight, 13st and a bit when I came over in March, now 165lbs, which I reckon is just under 12st.

Think it must be a regional thing, you see the odd over sized, but they are usually squeezing out of 'out of state' vehicles.

PrincessofWales Aug 9th 2004 8:42 pm

try the South Beach Diet, sounds tough, but my bloke and I did it, and didn't give up the alcohol, just the bread, the potatoes, and pasta.

I was anti all that low carb stuff, but read the book and realised that this is not Atkins, and offers a pretty sensible diet alternative with stages to reintroduce fruit, veggies, and yes heaven forbid BREAD!

Never feel hungry, mind you the eggs take their toll. :eek:

dunroving Aug 9th 2004 8:54 pm

For most people the answer is simple: eat fewer calories than you expend if you want to lose weight and eat the same number of calories you expend if you want to maintain (i.e., not gain) weight.

All the other stuff (fancy diets, fancy workout programs) are just too complicated for most people to want to deal with, and are on the whole unnecessary to maintaining a healthy weight.

Walk the dog for at least 30 minutes every day (even if you don't have a dog), and stay away from processed food, high-sugar food, and food with saturated fat. Eat lots of natural foods (fruit, veg), drink water instead of soda, and eat "treats" (candy, ice cream, fast food) only occasionally.

Other than people with metabolic disorders, most other people who say they "can't understand" why they have put on weight are being disingenuous, IMHO.

207lonsdale Aug 9th 2004 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Move to Cali, you will lose the weight quick. Everyone here is into healthy eating and working out.

:confused:

I am in CA and all I seem to see are grossly overweight people?

Sure, the image portrayed of CA is of gorgeous women and muscle bound men who all eat healthy and work out! But the reality seems to be way too many people eating vast quantities of food, with the only exercise being in lifting the huge take outs into their mouth!

Yosser Aug 9th 2004 10:42 pm

Got on the scales yesterday, lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks, on the "Yosser, run yer ass off diet"... :) feeling better now!

Started paying attention to labels on food again, worked out what was doing it...About once a week the Mrs was making one of those marble chocolate cakes (Betty crocker or something)....just a generous slab on the plate was 44grams of carbs....and that wasn't including the icing :eek:

I've got a bugger of a sweet tooth though...got to keep going, flying back to Blighty next month, can't have the American lard ass look :D

207lonsdale Aug 9th 2004 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
For most people the answer is simple: eat fewer calories than you expend if you want to lose weight and eat the same number of calories you expend if you want to maintain (i.e., not gain) weight.

All the other stuff (fancy diets, fancy workout programs) are just too complicated for most people to want to deal with, and are on the whole unnecessary to maintaining a healthy weight.

Walk the dog for at least 30 minutes every day (even if you don't have a dog), and stay away from processed food, high-sugar food, and food with saturated fat. Eat lots of natural foods (fruit, veg), drink water instead of soda, and eat "treats" (candy, ice cream, fast food) only occasionally.

Other than people with metabolic disorders, most other people who say they "can't understand" why they have put on weight are being disingenuous, IMHO.

IMHO you are absolutely correct!

I remember reading the Atkins diet book more than twenty years ago and I thought it was nothing other than another fad diet. Today, everywhere you go there seems to be an obsession with carbs and yet the majority of people are not getting any slimmer!

supernav Aug 9th 2004 11:18 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Obviously you haven't been to Cali have you??

Don't believe what Hollywood throws at you. The typical californian you see on the street is hispanic, female, and 145-160lbs with 3 kids. 80% of the population here is overweight. FAR from whatever misconstrued notion you have in your mind!

-= nav =-

Pimpbot Aug 9th 2004 11:39 pm

My waistline has grown from a 34 to a 36 or even 38 in some trousers/jeans. I've probably gained about 25 pounds in the year and a bit I've been here. I thought I'd start losing it once I got back to work, but I have reached a steady level of fatness.

Lion in Winter Aug 9th 2004 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
My waistline has grown from a 34 to a 36 or even 38 in some trousers/jeans. I've probably gained about 25 pounds in the year and a bit I've been here. I thought I'd start losing it once I got back to work, but I have reached a steady level of fatness.

Well now you've got your drivers license you can expect another couple of inches and a few more pounds.

Pimpbot Aug 9th 2004 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well now you've got your drivers license you can expect another couple of inches and a few more pounds.

Yes, but my brother in law just got me a snazzy new mountain bike to replace the one I had stolen. If it wasn't 114 outside today, I might be tempted to ride it.

ladyofthelake Aug 10th 2004 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving

Isn't it amazing also, the people who just can't shift the weight normally, as soon as they are physically stopped from eating too much through gastric bypass, can lose a 100lbs in a year. Obese people may like to think that maybe it's a metabolism thing, but it's plainly obvious they just eat too much.

Chopper-Chris Aug 10th 2004 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Isn't it amazing also, the people who just can't shift the weight normally, as soon as they are physically stopped from eating too much through gastric bypass, can lose a 100lbs in a year. Obese people may like to think that maybe it's a metabolism thing, but it's plainly obvious they just eat too much.

Oh My God...

we'll all be wearing make up and having periods next.

http://www.malespecies.com/

Manc Aug 10th 2004 12:57 pm

That's the biggest load of shite I've ever read.

ladyofthelake Aug 10th 2004 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by manc1976

How come? :confused:

Chopper-Chris Aug 10th 2004 1:05 pm

I agree with Mancster...you are somewhat underinformed here, you need to read up on Cortisol, and its stress related synthesis, basically, cortisol is a steroid hormone created by the body inn the adrenal cortex in response to stress, the cortisol is essential for carbohydrate metabolism so is directly linked (not only) to the weight gain but also an individual’s ability to actually lose the weight safely.

Chopper-Chris Aug 10th 2004 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
I agree with Mancster...you are somewhat underinformed here, you need to read up on Cortisol, and its stress related synthesis, basically, cortisol is a steroid hormone created by the body inn the adrenal cortex in response to stress, the cortisol is essential for carbohydrate metabolism so is directly linked (not only) to the weight gain but also an individual’s ability to actually lose the weight safely.

We are only recently becoming fully aware of the full implications of cortisol regulation.

ladyofthelake Aug 10th 2004 1:07 pm

Ah right, so eating less has nothing to do with it, it's all because they're less stressed. Got it.

Manc Aug 10th 2004 1:17 pm

How come? :confused:

My wife was given the green light for a gastric bypass, not to loss weight for aesthetic reasons, but her acute rheumatoid arthiritis in her joints.
She is still in agony 18 months on, and some days cannot walk. I would hate to imagine what she would suffer like if she were still a big lass.
Blue Cross Blue Shield will not authorise Bariatric Treatment for just aesthetic reasons anymore (In Michigan at least) There must be a medical reason to back up the surgery.

Chopper-Chris Aug 10th 2004 1:17 pm

Ah right, so eating less has nothing to do with it, it's all because they're less stressed. Got it.

no, not 100% stress but certainly you havn't been doing your reading yet...you need give more of the benefit of the doubt to some poeple, and have a little more respect to the fatties (lol)

try these sites...very well respected and up to date information on Cortisol.

http://stress.about.com/cs/cortisol/a/aa012901.htm

http://www.aeron.com/new_page_27.htm

http://www.waichung.demon.co.uk/webanim/CortWeb.htm

http://members.tripod.com/~charles_W/cortisol.html

ladyofthelake Aug 10th 2004 2:02 pm

My wife was given the green light for a gastric bypass, not to loss weight for aesthetic reasons, but her acute rheumatoid arthiritis in her joints.
She is still in agony 18 months on, and some days cannot walk. I would hate to imagine what she would suffer like if she were still a big lass.
Blue Cross Blue Shield will not authorise Bariatric Treatment for just aesthetic reasons anymore (In Michigan at least) There must be a medical reason to back up the surgery.

Are you saying she has had a gastric bypass then? :o I can understand your reaction to my comments. However, I did not say that obese people do not deserve the op, or shouldn't have the op and I don't feel that way either. It still does surprise me however that the weight loss only occurs when there has been a radical change in lifestyle and eating habits brought on by this op, rather than 'doing it the old fashioned way' and changing the lifestyle and attitudes towards food by themselves.
My comments were posted in rather an acidic manner and I apologise if I offended (and obviously I did)
Perhaps I should just go back to being a mostly silent observer :)

Manc Aug 10th 2004 2:16 pm

Are you saying she has had a gastric bypass then?

Yes.
Well there is a lot of stigma attached to having the op, and it wasn't really a food issue with the misses, I mean she was way more active that I was, she's fit as a fiddle otherwise, but about 2 years ago this RA started and it basically crippled her from the onset. We went back to England last April (It was her first visit) and she needed steroids just to be able to get through the week of walking around the UK (well walking back from the boozer)
So she decided to go for the op. The RA is still there but I hate to imagine what it would be like with 90+ lbs on top of the knees.

What I am against is the tom dick and harry surgeries opening up offering this surgery. To be honest, Bariatric Treatment have been 100% great with the whole proceedure, and I think there are a lot of Nip/Tuck places cropping up which are just in it for the 'craze' that gastric bypasses have become recently. This is worrying as I don't think they offer the level of pre-op psyciatric care (To make sure the patient is level headed enough to know what they're doing, or why they're doing this) and indeed, after the Op, Melissa needs to submit bloodwork every 3 months to Bariatric Treatment to make sure she's getting enough nutrients and vitamins etc etc. I doubt these new set-ups offer anything like this care to the people whom are just looking for a quick fix on the cheap.

veryfunny Aug 10th 2004 2:31 pm

Always excuses, people put on weight because the lack self control with food period.

Chopper-Chris Aug 10th 2004 2:36 pm

Always excuses, people put on weight because the lack self control with food period.

You're not listening to me...

I agree with you, self control is a major factor in obesity, but it is NOT the only reason (or 'period' as you so politely put it), you must have a basic understanding of the bodies biochemical pathways in order to understand why the body reacts like it does and what can be done about it. Once the body is obese, it IS a FACT that it becomes mush harder to lose weight due to the over production of cortisol.

:rolleyes:

I'm not an obese person making excuses for myself, I'm not even overweight, I'm just pointing out the facts.

James Box Aug 10th 2004 3:11 pm

I have become disenchanted with BCBS. They would not cover a contraceptive treatment even though it would cost them a whole lot more if we had another child! Thankfully my insurance would cover it 100%.

207lonsdale Aug 10th 2004 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
You're not listening to me...

I agree with you, self control is a major factor in obesity, but it is NOT the only reason (or 'period' as you so politely put it), you must have a basic understanding of the bodies biochemical pathways in order to understand why the body reacts like it does and what can be done about it. Once the body is obese, it IS a FACT that it becomes mush harder to lose weight due to the over production of cortisol.

:rolleyes:

I'm not an obese person making excuses for myself, I'm not even overweight, I'm just pointing out the facts.

I won't argue that for "some" there is a medical reason for gaining weight or being unable to lose excess weight. However, it is also a FACT that for many overweight people it is a lot easier for them to lose weight than it is for the person trying to lose just 5 lbs of excess weight. This being simply due to the fact that the more weight you carry the more energy you require just to get through each day.

My younger brother, who does not claim to have any medical reason for being overweight (i.e. he just eats more than his body needs and his BMI reading equates to clinical obesity), is 230lbs, I am 115lbs and we recently went on a diet together. My brother had more than double the calorie allowance I had ...... he lost 12lbs whereas I only lost 2lbs!

It would seem that far too many people today look for a quick fix to their weight problem, or just look for an excuse as to why they are overweight. My eldest brother is also obese, in fact he has been described as "morbidly obese" and as a result suffers from various weight related medical problems. Surgical intervention is not a possibility as the risk of surgery due to his weight is considered too high. All he can do is lose weight via the usual method of counting calories, but as he has absolutely no inclination to lose weight by that method his future is rather bleak.

Chopper-Chris Aug 10th 2004 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by 207lonsdale

It would seem that far too many people today look for a quick fix to their weight problem, or just look for an excuse as to why they are overweight. .

I'd agree with that.

207lonsdale Aug 10th 2004 7:02 pm

Yes.
Well there is a lot of stigma attached to having the op, and it wasn't really a food issue with the misses, I mean she was way more active that I was, she's fit as a fiddle otherwise, but about 2 years ago this RA started and it basically crippled her from the onset. We went back to England last April (It was her first visit) and she needed steroids just to be able to get through the week of walking around the UK (well walking back from the boozer)
So she decided to go for the op. The RA is still there but I hate to imagine what it would be like with 90+ lbs on top of the knees.

I am curious as to the exact reason for your wife having the operation. Was there a medical reason why she was carrying an additional 90+lbs and could not lose that weight via normal methods? Or, was it that due to being debilitated by RA she was unable to lose weight by normal methods quick enough to bring any form of relief?