British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fastest way to mail documents to the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fastest-way-mail-documents-uk-872198/)

rpjs Feb 10th 2016 2:24 pm

Fastest way to mail documents to the UK?

What does the panel think, preferably from experience, is the fastest way to get a document mailed from the US to the UK? USPS, FedEx, something else?

(Because the Crystal Methodist must have sold all of the Co-op Bank's fax machines and email servers to buy more meth, I only have the option of actual mail.)

I would have assumed that FedEx ought to be faster but I had an underwhelming experience sending my passport application through them. I didn't ask for any super-fast service, but it was delivered a day later than promised and the tracking seemed to suggest it was chilling at their facility at Stansted for a day or so *after* having cleared customs.

Also, the UK address is a PO Box. I know in the US, only the USPS can deliver to PO Boxes, but I think I'm right in saying that's not the case in the UK, or is it Royal Mail only there? In which case I guess USPS is the only option.

Many thanks!

markcst Feb 10th 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Fastest way to mail documents to the UK?

I used UPS recently but the cost was horrendous ($59).

You can request an address other than a PO Box for recorded delivery. I am pretty sure the receiver is obliged to offer an alternative to a PO Box in the UK. I know I phoned a UK company because I wanted proof of delivery and they gave me a real address with real humans.

lansbury Feb 10th 2016 4:51 pm

If you are sending to a UK mail box USPS International Priority Express is the quickest. If you have a physical street address UPS or FedEx overnight. From New York they may even do able to actually do next day even with the time difference, but it is very expensive.

McBadger Feb 10th 2016 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11863337)
What does the panel think, preferably from experience, is the fastest way to get a document mailed from the US to the UK? USPS, FedEx, something else?

(Because the Crystal Methodist must have sold all of the Co-op Bank's fax machines and email servers to buy more meth, I only have the option of actual mail.)

I would have assumed that FedEx ought to be faster but I had an underwhelming experience sending my passport application through them. I didn't ask for any super-fast service, but it was delivered a day later than promised and the tracking seemed to suggest it was chilling at their facility at Stansted for a day or so *after* having cleared customs.

Also, the UK address is a PO Box. I know in the US, only the USPS can deliver to PO Boxes, but I think I'm right in saying that's not the case in the UK, or is it Royal Mail only there? In which case I guess USPS is the only option.

Many thanks!

I posted my last vote back to the UK via Global Express Guaranteed, a bit painful, but postal votes just don't go out fast enough to expats.

FedEx has a crazy service called "FedEx® International Next Flight", basically you pay for someone to come to you, then drive it to the next plane... Price on application I believe.

rpjs Feb 10th 2016 6:25 pm

Interesting, it looks like USPS Global Express Guaranteed is FedEx in a USPS wrapper. I think I'll just head to the Post Office tomorrow and say I need this to get ASAP to a PO Box address in the UK and see what they recommend.

MidAtlantic Feb 10th 2016 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11863605)
Interesting, it looks like USPS Global Express Guaranteed is FedEx in a USPS wrapper. I think I'll just head to the Post Office tomorrow and say I need this to get ASAP to a PO Box address in the UK and see what they recommend.

Do your homework on-line before you go because, in my experience, you don't necessarily get the greatest level of expertise behind the post office counter.

Peter124 Feb 11th 2016 3:54 pm

USPS first class mail is the least expensive, and in my experience, often the fastest. (I'm not referring to Global Express, just regular first class international.)

I've been mailing items from the USA back to the UK since 1980, and nothing has ever gone astray. Post on Monday, usually arrives Friday of the same week. And no problems delivering to a PO box, of course.

Wintersong Feb 11th 2016 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 11863640)
Do your homework on-line before you go because, in my experience, you don't necessarily get the greatest level of expertise behind the post office counter.

That's the understatement of the year!