Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fastest Step-parent Adoption in the West!

Fastest Step-parent Adoption in the West!

Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:25 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fastest Step-parent Adoption in the West!

Well, after much procrastinating, I finally filed a step-parent adoption petition so hubby could be legally a father instead of step-father to my two girls. I did it without a lawyer. I filed the papers with the family court in Dallas on Friday, went back the next working day (today) with hubby and the girls, and got the adoption immediately approved by the judge!! I've been in a state of shock all day!!

Wa-haaay!

A side-product is the girls have beaten me to citizenship. I have my interview next month. Just wanted to share the great news. Who knew it could be so easy or so FAST?

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:42 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fastest Step-parent Adoption in the West!

Originally Posted by Scarlett-Dallas
Well, after much procrastinating, I finally filed a step-parent adoption petition so hubby could be legally a father instead of step-father to my two girls. I did it without a lawyer. I filed the papers with the family court in Dallas on Friday, went back the next working day (today) with hubby and the girls, and got the adoption immediately approved by the judge!! I've been in a state of shock all day!!

Wa-haaay!

A side-product is the girls have beaten me to citizenship. I have my interview next month. Just wanted to share the great news. Who knew it could be so easy or so FAST?

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Congrats

How does the citizenship thing work - do you have to be a minor to be eligible for adoption and therefore take this route ??

Just asking......
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:44 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Congrats

How does the citizenship thing work - do you have to be a minor to be eligible for adoption and therefore take this route ??

Just asking......
I believe so, but I'm no expert. We didn't file primarily to get the girls citizenship, though. It was to make legal the father-daughters relationship that has been there in all but legal status for the last four years.

Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:07 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

A coworker (American) adopted a toddler from China. The day she stepped on US soil, she was an American citizen. I believe the adoption process included naturalization for the Chinese child.

NC Penguin