Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

family visiting - trip to Mexico

family visiting - trip to Mexico

Old Mar 6th 2018, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all
Default family visiting - trip to Mexico

Folks - I'm a Brit LPR in SoCal - next week my parents are visiting. We're debating driving into Mexico - either for a day, or 4-5 days, not sure yet. Can anyone point me at an information that will inform me as to what, if anything, we need to do for them? They are Brits, and will have ESTA's - but I don't know if we can just drive them across the border and back with their passports, or if we need to make more formal arrangements?

thanks in advance,
Matt
Old Mar 6th 2018, 9:58 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: family visiting - trip to Mexico

To anyone responding, would the same apply to Canada also?
Old Mar 6th 2018, 10:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Traversing the border, either north or south isn't a big deal, just show their passports, and their ESTAs cover them for returning to the US. Their entry date, for the purpose of counting 90 days in the US is not reset by leaving the US to visit Mexico or Canada.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

thanks for the reply - and Mexico doesn't require anything from Brits entering other then a passport?
Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmhendrie
thanks for the reply - and Mexico doesn't require anything from Brits entering other then a passport?
We went on a trip from San Diego to Mexico for 3 days. Entered Mexico at Tijuana - just showed passport to Mexican Border Force.
On return US border force just scanned passport and that was it! This was in 2012. Might be bit tighter now I suppose!
Also no problem going from Seattle to Vancouver. Passport checked and stamped by Canada Border Force and on return to USA pulled aside and asked where we'd been etc. Took 5 minutes. Presumably they could check our ESTA online?
Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:43 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA doesn't apply to land border crossings. Your folks will need to pay the $6 land crossing fee, even though they will have an "in-date" stamp in their passports. Blaine, WA border post collected $6 from me despite having several weeks left on my WT stamp in my passport. This was in 2014. Their justification? "ESTA is invalid for land. We need $6 to process your arrival on a separate system". Maybe I made a donation to the Christmas party fund.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Mexico only requires a valid British passport but you'll need to complete an immigration card on arrival and present it on departure.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
To anyone responding, would the same apply to Canada also?
I've driven to Canada a couple of times with my British parents. They did get a Canada eTA just in case, but as we were driving it wasn't needed. We weren't charged anything - they just asked a few questions including how much cash we were carrying. We weren't charged any fees.

My daughter goes to boarding school right beside the Canadian border and often you can get cheaper hotels in Canada than the US, so we do a fair few border crossings.