British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   family out to visit GC holders (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/family-out-visit-gc-holders-429799/)

linda and nick Feb 23rd 2007 11:39 am

family out to visit GC holders

Hi to all!

Having read quite a few horror stories on another forum about family coming out to US to visit and holiday with parents who are GC holders, we are really very concerned.:ohmy:
We are expecting to be given our GCs within the next couple of months (just waiting for our interview knowing that our papers are now in London) and hope to move out to Florida some time after that.
As we will be leaving grown up daughters - who are quite happy in their jobs in England thank you very much - we naturally would be anticipating their holidaying with us. However, after reading an account of a daughter and grandson being grilled for 6 hours and then refused entry to visit parents, we are wondering how common a problem this is.
Also, since we started our paperwork over a year ago, we have been unable to visit our son and his family in Michigan and also to do a further recce of Sarasota, where we plan to live.
If, on receiving our GCs we go over to the US for that visit, return to England to finalise everything out here - we've sold up, have everything in storage and have even got down to the nitty gritty of shipping the dog - would we have any problems then re-entering the States?
Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Linda

Ray Feb 23rd 2007 1:23 pm

Re: family out to visit GC holders

Originally Posted by linda and nick (Post 4445668)
Hi to all!

Having read quite a few horror stories on another forum about family coming out to US to visit and holiday with parents who are GC holders, we are really very concerned.:ohmy:
We are expecting to be given our GCs within the next couple of months (just waiting for our interview knowing that our papers are now in London) and hope to move out to Florida some time after that.

First ..don't believe every story you hear !!

Once you get you visas ..you will head over ...
at the POE they will stamp you passport with the I-551 stamp
thats your GC ...you could now turn around and come straight
back.. Your actual GC will arrive in the mail usually within the month ..

Your children should have no problem at all...why should say
Thousand of relatives visit their kin folk all the time..

You could have visited while you waited. nothing say you could not ..

suzanne7575 Feb 23rd 2007 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4445908)

Is this for definate, hopefully we will have our GC filed for by the time we go to Florida in September and I was worried about this, we might also have another visit closer to the moving time to look at areas and what not, but don't want to spend money on tickets etc only to be turned away

Ray Feb 23rd 2007 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by suzanne7575 (Post 4446418)
Is this for definate, hopefully we will have our GC filed for by the time we go to Florida in September and I was worried about this, we might also have another visit closer to the moving time to look at areas and what not, but don't want to spend money on tickets etc only to be turned away

Nothing is ever certain ...or guaranteed .. but carrying the right info would help..

Silverdragon102 Feb 23rd 2007 5:01 pm

like anything no guarentee especially at POE

I have managed to visit the US a few times with my application pending and had no problems

linda and nick Feb 23rd 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4445908)

Once you get you visas ..you will head over ...
at the POE they will stamp you passport with the I-551 stamp
thats your GC ...you could now turn around and come straight
back.. Your actual GC will arrive in the mail usually within the month ..

Your children should have no problem at all...why should say
Thousand of relatives visit their kin folk all the time..

Thanks Ray,
You''ve been very quick to answer all my other queries and you didn't let me down with this one. I feel loads better now!:thumbup:
We did ask our attorney about visiting the US whilst our papers were being filed etc. and she told us not to as 'you would be refused entry at the POE'.
Not having any other guidelines, we took her advice. Really miss seeing my grandchildren.

Ray Feb 23rd 2007 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by linda and nick (Post 4446969)
Thanks Ray,
You''ve been very quick to answer all my other queries and you didn't let me down with this one. I feel loads better now!:thumbup:
We did ask our attorney about visiting the US whilst our papers were being filed etc. and she told us not to as 'you would be refused entry at the POE'.
Not having any other guidelines, we took her advice. Really miss seeing my grandchildren.

He should or should have said you may be refused but then so
could anybody ...
But they can see that nobody would enter illegally if they were in the middle of doing it properly ..

linda and nick Feb 23rd 2007 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4446985)
He should or should have you may be refused but then so
could anybody ...
But they can see that nobody would enter illegally if they were in the middle of doing it properly ..

That's what I've always thought. It never did make sense to me!:unsure: