Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Family Moving To The USA

Wikiposts

Family Moving To The USA

Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:31 am
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default Re: Family Moving To The USA

Originally Posted by James Box
Yeah, and...? Did you read no further?

"I am not a US citizen yet (beacuse I ahve not been here long enough) but when I am I would like to sponser my parents to come and live nearby"
watch the attitude James, re-read the next post I wrote.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:36 am

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
watch the attitude James, re-read the next post I wrote.
Looks like we're all mis-reading posts! Sorry for that.

So has anyone actually tried this loop-hole? How do the parents convince USCIS that they never had immigration intent in the first place?
Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:13 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
Looks like we're all mis-reading posts! Sorry for that.

So has anyone actually tried this loop-hole? How do the parents convince USCIS that they never had immigration intent in the first place?
Same as all the visa waiver marriage do.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
Will they actually have to have insurance? Can't they just pay for the treatment (if any) at the time?
A nieghbor's teenage daughter got in a car wreck a couple of months ago, spent ten days as an in-patient, and the bill came to $75,000! :scared:

Reallistically pay-as-you-go is only likely to work for one serious illness.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:07 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=James Box]How do the parents convince USCIS that they never had immigration intent in the first place?

Originally Posted by MightBe
Same as all the visa waiver marriage do.
And what would that be?

People who marry on the VWP can simply say they decided to elope. The marriage is spontaneous and therefore involved no immigration intent. At least an elopement is a catalyst for deciding spontaneously to stay.

But the parents were always that person's parents, nothing's changed except their desire to live in the States together. Just because people come here and decide to never leave doesn't make it legal to do so.

So no, I don't think you can put these two situations in the same category -- apples and oranges.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
This would be North West Michigan? (near the Canadian border?).
about 5 hours drive away

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I reckon his parents would freeze to death in those long, cold winters up there. Not being used to brutally cold winters they would probably be as miserable as sin. :scared:
it gets no colder here than it does the east coast.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:00 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
And what would that be?

People who marry on the VWP can simply say they decided to elope. The marriage is spontaneous and therefore involved no immigration intent. At least an elopement is a catalyst for deciding spontaneously to stay.
And people parents can come for a visit and decide they would like to stay with their children. The though frightens me. But apparently some people like their parents close to hand.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely it is slightly differant when someone young of age and with no ties, decides to get married vs a somewhat older age group?.

Anyway, I agree with the others, unless they expect to work for 10 years its a no goer. No Medical cover.

Unless they have pots of money of course.

But they can come and go for 3 month stints with very little hassle, assuming they are not of working age. I do not think they are that bothered about OAP's and long visits. Or does someone know different?
Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:20 pm
Bishop John MightBe

Originally Posted by Boiler
Surely it is slightly differant when someone young of age and with no ties, decides to get married vs a somewhat older age group?.
Anyway, I agree with the others, unless they expect to work for 10 years its a no goer. No Medical cover.
Unless they have pots of money of course.
But they can come and go for 3 month stints with very little hassle, assuming they are not of working age. I do not think they are that bothered about OAP's and long visits. Or does someone know different?
Older people can get a B-2 with no problem at all. and can stay for 6 months no problem. But I agree for parents to come out to stay with their children the medical cost would be a complete blocker. But they do do it.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok well thanks for all the replies, I think I understand what is being said: It would be frowned upon for them to enter on the visa waiver as they had the intent of staying here. Is that correct? If that is what is the best course of action? A B2 is no good as they want to live here, they do not want to leave after 6mths.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:09 am
Bishop John MightBe

Ok well thanks for all the replies, I think I understand what is being said: It would be frowned upon for them to enter on the visa waiver as they had the intent of staying here. Is that correct? If that is what is the best course of action? A B2 is no good as they want to live here, they do not want to leave after 6mths.
NO NO. The B-2 will give them a 6 months stay after 4 months you talk them into staying. They did not come with the pre-conceived idea of staying.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 4:36 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MightBe
NO NO. The B-2 will give them a 6 months stay after 4 months you talk them into staying. They did not come with the pre-conceived idea of staying.
Firstly, it's pretty obvious that the OP's parents already have pre-conceived intent to immigrate -- otherwise he wouldn't have spoken with an attorney to see about the possibility of them doing this. So regardless it is out of the question.

But let's say they entered on a B2 visa and "spontaneously" decided to stay. What would be the reason they give to USCIS for wanting to adjust their status? That they simply don't want to go home?

Sorry, I don't think that would fly. Otherwise everyone and their brother would do it. I think if the OP's parents tried to adjust their status from a B2 visa because their son lives here, USCIS would probably laugh in their faces.

Let's not forget the fact that very, VERY few people can just up and leave everything they own and never come back. USCIS knows this.

The fact that the OP obtained his green card based on marriage means that, at an absolute maximum, he can apply for naturalization in three years minus 90 days -- and that's if he got his green card today. He's better off waiting, rather than having his parents go through all the time and expense of trying to adjust, which would most probably be unsuccessful anyway.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 28th 2004, 4:39 am
I'm back!

No, the B2 is NOT an option for them if they want to live here. It is a tourist visa. Same goes for the VWP -- it is for tourism, not for emigrating. If they want to live here, you need to become a citizen first and THEN sponsor them.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:05 am
Bishop John MightBe

Sorry, I don't think that would fly. Otherwise everyone and their brother would do it. I think if the OP's parents tried to adjust their status from a B2 visa because their son lives here, USCIS would probably laugh in their faces.
And they are. on a regular basis.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:06 am
Bishop John MightBe

No, the B2 is NOT an option for them if they want to live here. It is a tourist visa. Same goes for the VWP -- it is for tourism, not for emigrating. If they want to live here, you need to become a citizen first and THEN sponsor them.
~ Jenney
Read the I-485. Thats how 70% of marriages get away with using the visa waiver with no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.