British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Family moving to Orange County - so many questions but today's is driving licences. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/family-moving-orange-county-so-many-questions-but-todays-driving-licences-908762/)

JJ06 Feb 3rd 2018 7:43 pm

Family moving to Orange County - so many questions but today's is driving licences.

My husband and I together with our two teenagers - 19 k & 18 are moving to Orange County in August on E2 visas. Obviously I have loads to organise but at the moment we are talking driving licences. Both kids drive in the UK and would like to do so in the US. If we buy a car, are they able to drive and get insured on their uk licences? If not, can they just apply for US licences (I know they need Ssn for this) or do they need to do another test? And actually, guess it's the same for me?

Any advice very much appreciated.

Noorah101 Feb 3rd 2018 8:01 pm

Re: Family moving to Orange County - so many questions but today's is driving licence

Originally Posted by JJ06 (Post 12434048)
If we buy a car, are they able to drive and get insured on their uk licences?

As for driving, they may be able to do so for a limited time, but they need to get drivers licenses ASAP. As for insurance, that's separate and you'll need to shop around and ask the insurance agent.

can they just apply for US licences (I know they need Ssn for this)
I'm not very knowledgeable about the E-2 visa, so just make sure the kids qualify for obtaining a SSN, and an EAD.

or do they need to do another test? And actually, guess it's the same for me?
Yes, you will all need to test again, both written and driving, I believe. The process is not difficult, but can be lengthy (in California).

Rene

lansbury Feb 3rd 2018 8:53 pm

Re: Family moving to Orange County - so many questions but today's is driving licence

My husband and I together with our two teenagers - 19 k & 18 are moving to Orange County

Just as an FYI there are 8 Orange Counties in the USA. While most will assume you mean the one in CA, giving precise information when asking questions will enable more usual help to be given.

While Rene thought of CA, my immediate thought was where the Tuttles live. :lol:

JJ06 Feb 3rd 2018 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12434077)
Just as an FYI there are 8 Orange Counties in the USA. While most will assume you mean the one in CA, giving precise information when asking questions will enable more usual help to be given.

While Rene thought of CA, my immediate thought was where the Tuttles live. :lol:

had no idea more than 1 Orange County. Rene was correct - California.

lansbury Feb 3rd 2018 9:01 pm

If we buy a car,

For practical purposes you really need to think in terms of cars plural.

The practical driving test in most States is pretty simple and is harder to fail than pass. The written test is a little more tricky as they seem to like you to know more detail information about drink drive limits, stopping distances etc. But there are plenty of sample tests online using the real questions to brush up on first.

ETA - CA seem very helpful they have sample tests online https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...ve/tdrive/exam

lansbury Feb 3rd 2018 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by JJ06 (Post 12434078)
had no idea more than 1 Orange County. Rene was correct - California.

Big place America you can always bet there is more than one of most places. :nod:

Pulaski Feb 3rd 2018 9:07 pm

California gives residents 12 DAYS to get a California license, so I would get started ASAP on getting a local license. Beyond 12 days you are in a dubious area, but you are unlikely to have too much of an issue if you carry evidence that you have started the process and are working towards getting your license i.e. you have taken the written test and have a road test booked.

That said, (i) I would stick to necessary driving, and (ii) I would definitely not allow your teenagers to drive on their UK licenses after 12 days, because if they (or you) have an accident there could be questions raised about their license status, and if the license is ruled invalid then your insurance may be void too! :eek:

Generally US road tests are embarrassingly easy - be sure to entirely stop at STOP signs and red lights, and you are pretty much certain to pass, though anecdotally, it has been reported that teenagers may be given a more rigorous test than an adult immigrant who obviously has more experience and confidence behind the wheel.

That said, be sure to read the California DMV handbook, which can be downloaded from the California DMV Web site, and pay attention to things such as limits and penalties for drink driving, rules and penalties for stopping/passing stopped school buses, stopping distances, warning signs, etc as the written test may be much more challenging than the road test.

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12434089)
Big place America you can always bet there is more than one of most places. .....

There are Pulaskis all over the East Coast and the South. :)

GeoffM Feb 4th 2018 12:26 am

Regarding insurance, you're likely to have to declare the kids no matter whether they drive or not. I guess the suspicion is that they will drive regardless so the quote is adjusted accordingly (upwards). We used to be with Mercury Insurance via an agent but said agent royally cocked up the renewal so we went with AAA who were slightly cheaper.

IIRC you get one of six multiple guess written tests, and you need 30 out of 33, or is it 30 out of 36... not hard anyway. I assumed I'd failed the driving test as I spotted a jaywalker walking through stopped traffic later than the examiner (still in loads of time, and I was stopping anyway), but she said I didn't kill the jaywalker so I passed :D

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 4th 2018 12:31 am

They should be able to get US licenses but they will expire when they are 21, I was also thinking on multiple vehicles and did not think E2 children could get SSN's, spouses can with EAD.

CA DMV will have it but younger age groups seems to be much more painful than the walk i9n the park most people have here.

Also Driving Schools seem to be about as common as Yeti.

SanDiegogirl Feb 4th 2018 1:16 am

What happens to children with parents on E2 visas, when the child ages out at 21?

Do the children then have to get their own visas?

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 4th 2018 1:20 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12434235)
What happens to children with parents on E2 visas, when the child ages out at 21?

Do the children then have to get their own visas?

Or go home

Havnfun Feb 4th 2018 4:42 pm

We moved to Orange County in 2008 with our son who was 16 at the time. We all had to complete both the writen and driving tests to get our CA licenses. I don't believe our son had a SSN (we were on L1 & L2 visas at the time) but he was still able to get his license.

It did take a number of months to get through the process, the waiting was quite long, not sure what it is like now. What area of Orange County will you be in?

Good luck with your move! It is sunny and the high for today is 81F:thumbup:

My husband and I together with our two teenagers - 19 k & 18 are moving to Orange County in August on E2 visas. Obviously I have loads to organise but at the moment we are talking driving licences. Both kids drive in the UK and would like to do so in the US. If we buy a car, are they able to drive and get insured on their uk licences? If not, can they just apply for US licences (I know they need Ssn for this) or do they need to do another test? And actually, guess it's the same for me?

Any advice very much appreciated.

md95065 Feb 4th 2018 5:32 pm

The requirement to provide an SSN in order to get a California driver's license is that that you must provide an SSN if you are eligible to have an SSN - if you are not eligible for an SSN (eg because of the type of visa that you are on) then you need to provide evidence of that fact.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 4th 2018 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 12434690)
The requirement to provide an SSN in order to get a California driver's license is that that you must provide an SSN if you are eligible to have an SSN - if you are not eligible for an SSN (eg because of the type of visa that you are on) then you need to provide evidence of that fact.

Or you have no visa.

Pulaski Feb 4th 2018 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Havnfun (Post 12434669)
We moved to Orange County in 2008 with our son who was 16 at the time. ..... It did take a number of months to get through the process, the waiting was quite long, ....

Heading out to a DMV office in a rural area will likely get you a road test much sooner.

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12434693)
Or you have no visa.

Then you get a different sort of "restricted" license.