British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Family Friendly Chicago Neighborhoods (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/family-friendly-chicago-neighborhoods-607280/)

getmetoaus May 5th 2009 12:34 pm

Family Friendly Chicago Neighborhoods

My husband, 2 year old son and I will be moving to Chicago at the end of the summer. Next week we will be going to Chicago on a 2 week break to check out where we'd like to live. I'd like to narrow down my search to only a few neighborhoods that might suit us, and for this, I'd really appreciate your input.
This is my criteria:
Family Friendly Neighborhood, ie lots going on for kids and mum's during the working week (as I won't be working the first 6 months) and also for all the family on weekends.
Decent childcare/nurserys (not worried about schools yet) for when I do start to work.
Within 40-45 minute commute to downtown.
Rental range is $1000-$2200 per month.
2 -3 bed, larger than 1000sq ft apartment or house, hopefully with some sort of outdoor space, balcony, patio, garden etc.
Safe enough so that I feel happy to walk around during the day and early evening with my son.
Restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, supermarket, parks/lake within walking distance.

Are there any neighborhoods that might fit this criteria within our price range, or at least 90% of it?

Thanks for you help.

Gibo May 5th 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Family Friendly Chicago Neighborhoods

Originally Posted by getmetoaus (Post 7542729)
My husband, 2 year old son and I will be moving to Chicago at the end of the summer. Next week we will be going to Chicago on a 2 week break to check out where we'd like to live. I'd like to narrow down my search to only a few neighborhoods that might suit us, and for this, I'd really appreciate your input.
This is my criteria:
Family Friendly Neighborhood, ie lots going on for kids and mum's during the working week (as I won't be working the first 6 months) and also for all the family on weekends.
Decent childcare/nurserys (not worried about schools yet) for when I do start to work.
Within 40-45 minute commute to downtown.
Rental range is $1000-$2200 per month.
2 -3 bed, larger than 1000sq ft apartment or house, hopefully with some sort of outdoor space, balcony, patio, garden etc.
Safe enough so that I feel happy to walk around during the day and early evening with my son.
Restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, supermarket, parks/lake within walking distance.

Are there any neighborhoods that might fit this criteria within our price range, or at least 90% of it?

Thanks for you help.

Albany Park is a nice area; I have been here for just under a year. Its 20 mins to downtown on the EL, I would say it meets 95% of what you’re looking for. I have a huge 3 bed apt, and I pay just over $1000 a month. It has a garden front and back, patio. Look around the Kedzie area. They are all converted houses. Albany Park has some nice parks also.

The closer you are to the lake, the more expensive.

Use to live in the Lakeview area, and a 1 bedroom would set you back about $1200 and they were very small.

keira-2007 May 5th 2009 9:41 pm

Hi there and welcome to BE. :)

I live in the Northwest suburbs. There are lots of good areas around here. It can be quite pricey though depending on where you pick. I can't speak for areas closer to the city but near me, you would probably get some decent properties to rent in Buffalo Grove or Lincolnshire. Plus the schools are excellent, there is a fair amount to do, tons of good eateries and it is a very safe place to be.

Have a look on craigslist.org and look for properties to rent.

Good luck.

lj2 May 6th 2009 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 7544157)
Hi there and welcome to BE. :)

I live in the Northwest suburbs. There are lots of good areas around here. It can be quite pricey though depending on where you pick. I can't speak for areas closer to the city but near me, you would probably get some decent properties to rent in Buffalo Grove or Lincolnshire. Plus the schools are excellent, there is a fair amount to do, tons of good eateries and it is a very safe place to be.

Have a look on craigslist.org and look for properties to rent.

Good luck.

I live in Riverside, which my family and I adore, and matches all of your criteria. Naperville is the most obvious choice although it is a 40 minute commute. Your rental range sounds reasonable.

When I came over, I spent two days with a realtor taking me around various places (no cost to me) and she showed me a lot of the burbs and available rental properties. she was extremely helpful. I would be happy to refer you f you want to IM me your contact details to pass on?