British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Family friendly areas near San Jose (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/family-friendly-areas-near-san-jose-927808/)

RaeRee Sep 10th 2019 10:49 pm

Family friendly areas near San Jose

Hi there, we’re a British family currently living in South East London. My husband has been asked by work (he’s a partner in a big 4 accountancy firm) to transfer to US for 3-4 years. He will be working in downtown San Jose so I’m looking for advice and ideas on suitable areas to live within commuting distance.

We have a 3 year old daughter and 8 month old son so good preschools/elementary schools are a factor but more broadly we’re looking for somewhere family friendly with parks, kids activities etc. I won’t be working initially (might do once everyone is settled) so would be nice to be in a community where there are other stay at home mums around.

I realise the request is pretty broad, we just found out about the move and I don’t know the area at all (thought a move to NYC was more likely and we lived there for a while before kids). We will get some support from my husband’s company but would love some independent advice too.

Nutmegger Sep 11th 2019 12:31 am

Re: Family friendly areas near San Jose

They are going to San Jose!

Jerseygirl Sep 11th 2019 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12733971)

So they are. Thanks. :o

sherbert Sep 11th 2019 6:02 am

Look into Campbell, Los Gatos, Saratoga and Morgan Hill.

RaeRee Sep 11th 2019 6:20 am

Thanks! Will do

Jerseygirl Sep 15th 2019 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12733971)

Thought I was losing it for a minute. The OP has opened a very similar thread about NYC. :lol:

RaeRee Sep 15th 2019 7:22 pm

Sorry for confusion, we had been expecting a move to NYC but when my husband had the formal meeting about it last week he was told San Jose was more likely.

We we also lived in NYC for a couple of years pre kids so I have a better idea of areas etc. I’ve never even been to San Jose!

sherbert Sep 16th 2019 4:28 pm

Heads up then... San Jose and NYC couldn't be further apart, physically, literally and culturally! I'm assuming your husband is a high earner as a partner in his firm (you'll need oodles of cash for all the places that I mentioned above).

markonline1 Sep 17th 2019 6:05 pm

The commute over 17 is a bitch, and the cost of housing is extortionate, but I’d seriously consider the Santa Cruz area. Beautiful coastline and bearable temperatures (it rarely climbs above 80). My father in law lives in Gilroy and I just couldn’t handle the temperatures they get in the summer. Once you get north of Gilroy, I find the landscape starts to have that LA concrete sprawl about it. Having said that, I wouldn’t want to do the Santa Cruz commute if I was working in the Bay Area in a 9 to 5 job.

Giantaxe Sep 17th 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12736571)
The commute over 17 is a bitch, and the cost of housing is extortionate, but I’d seriously consider the Santa Cruz area. Beautiful coastline and bearable temperatures (it rarely climbs above 80). My father in law lives in Gilroy and I just couldn’t handle the temperatures they get in the summer. Once you get north of Gilroy, I find the landscape starts to have that LA concrete sprawl about it. Having said that, I wouldn’t want to do the Santa Cruz commute if I was working in the Bay Area in a 9 to 5 job.

I'm not a fan of living in Santa Cruz for various reasons despite the fact that, on paper at least, it has a lot going for it. I have a relative living there so have quite a lot of exposure to it. I don't think the combination of college town and beach town is a particularly healthy one. There are too many hangers on who drop out of college and then continue to live there. All towns have drug issues, but my perception is that Santa Cruz has one that is disproportionate to its population. And another result is that it has a relatively itinerant population. And, yeh, the commute over 17 is certainly something I wouldn't want do on a daily basis.

sherbert Sep 17th 2019 6:54 pm

All these reasons and more is why I didn't mention Santa Cruz: save it for lovely sunny weekends at the beach rather than living there proper.

PTCruiser Oct 1st 2019 7:08 pm

Hi there,

I h have lived in San Jose for 20 years, moved from Buckinghamshire. I'd recommend Campbell, Willow Glen, Cambrian, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Almaden, Santa Clara, also The Alameda. Personal favorite would be Campbell/Cambrian/Willow Glen -- for affordability, ease of access to downtown SJ, and also a great family vibe -- lots of downtown events etc. Cambrian has an excellent school district for elementary and middle, which then goes to Campbell Union District for high school -- which is great too.

You are welcome to message me separately -- can definitely point you in the right direction!.

Paul

LeavingLondon Oct 14th 2019 7:01 pm

Hi, I live in Los Gatos, moved here from London just over 6 years ago and I had never been to the Bay Area and was as in the dark as you! It's scary planning to move to an unfamiliar area but help is at hand - this forum was a godsend for me!

We love it here in LG (and the Bay Area in general) - we have a great downtown (with sidewalks!!), a really friendly community, nice parks, it's safe, etc. But it is expensive! Everywhere in the Bay Area is expensive but some places more than others (Palo Alto/Los Altos even more so!)

I know your eldest is only 3 but if you're planning on being here several years, you might want to plan schooling. If you'll be needing a public elementary school then we have two school districts in LG/Monte Sereno - one is more expensive than the other but both have very good elementary schools (you have to live within the district's boundary to be enrolled in the school). I love Campbell too (no idea about the schools) - great downtown. Saratoga is pretty but a bit too quiet for me and more expensive than LG I think. Check out the great school's website to get an idea of school rankings. Many people say they're here for a couple of years and 15 years later are still here so unless you want to have to move, after making friends and getting settled in an area, to another district, it might be worth thinking ahead about the schools.

https://www.greatschools.org/

Exciting times! Feel free to IM me if you have specific questions