British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Family emergency travel: 2 passports, 2 names (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/family-emergency-travel-2-passports-2-names-879017/)

livinginUSA Jun 17th 2016 1:33 am

Family emergency travel: 2 passports, 2 names

Hey all,

My wife and I are both duel citizens of the US and UK and we just got the terrible news that my mother (who lives in the UK with my father) unexpectedly passed away today.

We are desperately trying to get everything together for our travel back and remain calm. We recently got married and my wife changed her name on her US passport but hadn't got around to doing the UK one yet so it has her maiden name.

We are booking travel with her name on the US passport, but when we check in and eventually enter the UK, will the different name on the UK passport from her ticket and US passport cause a huge issue?

We are looking to travel this weekend.

Thanks for any advice

Bob Jun 17th 2016 2:00 am

Re: Family emergency travel: 2 passports, 2 names

Change the name on the ticket?

Sorry to hear about the bad news.

Pulaski Jun 17th 2016 2:13 am

Sorry to hear of your sudden loss.

So your wife has a US passport that matches the name on the ticket? ..... That's all she needs unless she is planning on returning to live in the UK, or stay for longer than six months.

She could leave her UK passport at home (in the US) for all the good it will do her on a short visit to the UK. I travelled to the UK last Christmas with my wife and daughter, my daughter and I are dual citizens, but my British passport had expired - and my daughter has never had one anyway. We all traveled using US passports only. :)

RICH Jun 17th 2016 2:15 am

Sorry to read this. The simplest thing is to use the US passports all the way, no problem on arrival - you will get 6 months visitor entry stamps. You will need to use the US ones on the way back anyway. Have the UK ones handy, though.

Pulaski Jun 17th 2016 2:18 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11975921)
.... Have the UK ones handy, though.

For what? :confused: Mine had expired when I last went back. My daughter has never had one. The chances of an unremarkable couple or family of US citizens being rejected at UK immigration is approximately zero.

Nutmegger Jun 17th 2016 2:24 am

Originally Posted by livinginUSA (Post 11975893)
Hey all,

My wife and I are both duel citizens of the US and UK and we just got the terrible news that my mother (who lives in the UK with my father) unexpectedly passed away today.

We are desperately trying to get everything together for our travel back and remain calm. We recently got married and my wife changed her name on her US passport but hadn't got around to doing the UK one yet so it has her maiden name.

We are booking travel with her name on the US passport, but when we check in and eventually enter the UK, will the different name on the UK passport from her ticket and US passport cause a huge issue?

We are looking to travel this weekend.

Thanks for any advice

She can do the entire trip on the US passport, but if you want to take the UK passport along, just carry a copy of the marriage certificate that evidences the transition between names.

RICH Jun 17th 2016 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11975923)
For what? :confused: Mine had expired when I last went back. My daughter has never had one. The chances of an unremarkable couple or family of US citizens being rejected at UK immigration is approximately zero.

Peace of mind, backup. Not required, and almost certainly won't be needed, but why not have them available.

Passports should not be on the list of things to worry about in this scenario.

Pulaski Jun 17th 2016 3:02 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11975948)
Peace of mind, backup. Not required, and almost certainly won't be needed, but why not have them available.

Passports should not be on the list of things to worry about in this scenario.

True. I just wondered if I was missing an angle. :unsure:

livinginUSA Jun 17th 2016 3:05 am

Thanks everyone for their thoughtful responses.

I always thought it was illegal to enter the UK as a UK citizen without showing your UK passport? Misrepresenting yourself or something?

We will definitely be carrying both - we are just wondering if they would even care at immigration that the name on the UK passport don't match the travel docs booked on the US passport name

LondonSquirrel Jun 17th 2016 3:45 am

I'm sorry about your mum. UK immigration will only look at the passport, not compare it to the ticket. But bring the marriage certificate too. Lots of women who change their surname on marriage wait until their passport needs renewing to change the name, I did.

RICH Jun 17th 2016 3:47 am

Originally Posted by livinginUSA (Post 11975956)
Thanks everyone for their thoughtful responses.

I always thought it was illegal to enter the UK as a UK citizen without showing your UK passport? Misrepresenting yourself or something?

We will definitely be carrying both - we are just wondering if they would even care at immigration that the name on the UK passport don't match the travel docs booked on the US passport name

US law require US citizens to use their US passport to enter US. There is no such law for the UK.

The name mis-match would be a security issue regarding getting on the plane. UK Immigration would not care (much) about the name on the ticket for the plane you just got off.

LondonSquirrel Jun 17th 2016 4:00 am

Yes, get on the plane with US passports and enter the UK with British passports.

Wintersong Jun 18th 2016 3:59 am

You already have the answer to your query, but I wanted to pass on my condolences to you and your family.

Jerseygirl Jun 18th 2016 4:02 am

My condolences to you and your family. I've been through the same twice...my father and FIL died within 4 weeks of each other...both of a heart attack.