Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Family based Green Card

Family based Green Card

Old Nov 14th 2001, 1:40 am
Just Joined

manouelian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody!

I have a rather specific question to ask. I am applying for Family Based Green Card. I am a brother of an US citizen.

Form I-864 (Affidavit of support), Part 4, Item #4 says:

"Number of persons who are otherwise dependent on you, as claimed in your tax return for the most recent tax year."- This question addresses the sponsor (my sister). She (my sister) has two kids and a husband. In item #1, which says: "Number of persons living in your residence, including yourself." she has already written 4 (four). That includes the husband along with the kids in the list.

What number should she provide in Item #4?

And: How long does it take for the whole thing to gets issued?

I hope that I have made my point as clear as possible.
I am looking forward to your reply! Thank you.

Old Nov 29th 2001, 7:19 pm
Liwen Liang

manouelian <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Can't answer your first question, but the answer to your second question regarding
how long it is going to take - well. LONG.

It took my mother almost 8 years and that's in early 1980; she applied in 83, I
believed, via her US citizen sister, and got her green card in 1991. And it is
almost 2002 now, it will only take longer. Last time I heard it would take around 10
- 15 years?

You can probably go to http://www.travel.state.gov/visa_bulletin.html, and I beleive
you are family based 4th priority.

Old Nov 29th 2001, 7:50 pm
Shelley

As for the first question - question 4 refers to other dependents - such as foster
children, an elderly or handicapped person (that is not a child or spouse) that can
be claimed as a dependent. If your sister has none of these kinds of dependents, her
answer for #4 is zero. Take Care. Shelley

"Liwen Liang" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Hi everybody![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I have a rather specific question to ask. I am applying for Family Based Green[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Card. I am a brother of an US citizen.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Form I-864 (Affidavit of support), Part 4, Item #4 says:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > "Number of persons who are otherwise dependent on you, as claimed in your tax[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > return for the most recent tax year."- This question addresses the sponsor (my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sister). She (my sister) has two kids and a husband. In item #1, which says:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > "Number of persons living in your residence, including yourself." she has already[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > written 4 (four). That includes the husband along with the kids in the list.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What number should she provide in Item #4?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > And: How long does it take for the whole thing to gets issued?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I hope that I have made my point as clear as possible. I am looking forward to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > your reply! Thank you.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >