Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fallen tree, legal advice needed

Fallen tree, legal advice needed

Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fallen tree, legal advice needed

I called electric company about a neighbor's tree which I thought was dying, overhanging their power cables in my yard.
Electric Co said ‘no problem, it will outlive us’
Two months later, while I’m away on vacation, tree falls down and cuts the power etc.
Electric company come and restore power, cut the tree and leave a mess.
Neighbor enters my yard and starts to saw the tree so he can repair his broken fence.
All this was going on without my permission or knowledge. I have a private property, no trespass etc. sign on my closed gate.
When I get to hear about it, I email the neighbor and politely ask him to leave my yard; I don’t want any accidents with me footing the medical bills. No reply from him.
Another neighbor tells me he has now left my yard. I’m not scheduled back for a few more weeks.
Without talking to a lawyer, does anyone know who is actually responsible for the clean-up, me, neighbor or electric Co? Thanks.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:29 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fallen tree, legal advice needed

Depends on the state you live in. I would suggest that you get some advice from a lawyer to understand your local laws, but I am sure it could be settled in a small claims court, especially if repairs and costs of restoring power and fixing the fence do not affect you. Any chance of better interaction with your neighbour? He may just clean it up for you to keep the peace.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tegwyn.
Florida. I want to keep clear of the courts if I can but I would like to know my rights before I discuss the matter with all concerned.
IMO, my neighbour is a bit strange, his place is always totally locked with dogs patrolling his yard so I think it is a bit rich him entering mine without permission. I want him staying out of my yard until I return as he is the sort of guy to take me to court for any damages to his property or himself whilst working in my yard.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you have damage contact your insurance company and leave it all to them. Trespass is a civil matter, and you'd have to show that you had suffered a loss to have a case to pursue. Criminal trespass depends on exactly how the law is worded, but it seems unlikely that entering your yard to clear up debris from a fallen tree would meet that definition. It is possible that the utility, considering their contractor felled the tree, could be "on the hook" for the clear-up.

IMO your concerns are likely unwarranted, and unless your yard has dangerous hazards, I don't see how someone ignoring a "No Trespassing" sign to clear felled tree debris would have a claim against you, and even if they did, it would be a matter for your home owner's insurance to worry about, not you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 18th 2013 at 1:54 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks your replies.
Coming into my yard is no big deal for me but lawsuits are.
I keep hearing about homeowners being sued for the most ridiculous situations. So IMO some amateur wielding a chainsaw is not ideal. Incidentally’ overwrought I am not, over cautious maybe.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 1:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Thanks your replies.
Coming into my yard is no big deal for me but lawsuits are.
I keep hearing about homeowners being sued for the most ridiculous situations. So IMO some amateur wielding a chainsaw is not ideal. Incidentally’ overwrought I am not, over cautious maybe.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, but so long as you have home owner's insurance you likely have very little to worry about. And as an amateur chainsaw wielder myself, I agree having one wandering into your yard uninvited, is not ideal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 18th 2013 at 1:53 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, but so long as you have home owner's insurance you likely have very little to worry about. And as an amateur chainsaw wielder myself, I agree having one wandering into your yard uninvited, is not ideal.
No offence taken. Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 3:51 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think that neighbour did this because of his concerns of liability action against him for the damage to your property. If the damage is over $500/$1000 (depending on your deductable), you could get your insurance company involved and will most likely pay for repair and then pursue reimbursement against the neighbour. Still, if it is just a mess that needs to be cleaned up without structural damage you can forget insurance dealing with it and that takes you to small claims court. I think letting the neighbour do it might not be a bad thing all around, or at least talk to each other about getting a company to do the clean up and he carry the costs. He may be strange but his intent may be well intended for both of you.

It may be worth your while finding out what your ordinances are so you know your rights with stuff like this. In some states, you have the right to remove big branches or protruding roots on your property without consulting the owner of the tree. In others, that property owner needs to be advised to either do something to fix the issue, or you take care of the problem on your property at their cost. Honestly though, if you folk can talk to each other, you both may reach an agreement that stretches further positively than becoming hostile neighbours.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I actually think that neighbour did this because of his concerns of liability action against him for the damage to your property. If the damage is over $500/$1000 (depending on your deductable), you could get your insurance company involved and will most likely pay for repair and then pursue reimbursement against the neighbour. Still, if it is just a mess that needs to be cleaned up without structural damage you can forget insurance dealing with it and that takes you to small claims court. I think letting the neighbour do it might not be a bad thing all around, or at least talk to each other about getting a company to do the clean up and he carry the costs. He may be strange but his intent may be well intended for both of you.

It may be worth your while finding out what your ordinances are so you know your rights with stuff like this. In some states, you have the right to remove big branches or protruding roots on your property without consulting the owner of the tree. In others, that property owner needs to be advised to either do something to fix the issue, or you take care of the problem on your property at their cost. Honestly though, if you folk can talk to each other, you both may reach an agreement that stretches further positively than becoming hostile neighbours.
+1 plus wouldn't it be better for him to clean everything up and have the fence repaired before you return home then having him clean up and repair the fence and making noise while you are at home. Since there was a power loss, you'll probably get compensated by your power company for any spoilage in the freezer/refrigerator.

As far a lawsuit, he decided to do it on his own so I suspect that should be a low risk.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

If he has dogs, it may have been necessary to fix the fence to stop them from getting out.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 5:19 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

And what no one else has said on here i will say. Don't harm, attempt to harm or threaten to harm your neighbour or his property no matter how this thing shakes out. Not with that stand your ground law. Use the law, don't break it because they will kick you out!
Old Aug 18th 2013, 6:32 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
does anyone know who is actually responsible for the clean-up, me, neighbor or electric Co?
If I were you, I would presume that the utility company and your neighbor are both 100% responsible, and seek compensation from both.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
If I were you, I would presume that the utility company and your neighbor are both 100% responsible, and seek compensation from both.
Not in Maryland. Here if the tree falls into your yard, it's yours.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
And what no one else has said on here i will say. Don't harm, attempt to harm or threaten to harm your neighbour or his property no matter how this thing shakes out. Not with that stand your ground law. Use the law, don't break it because they will kick you out!
For goodness sake will you please stop making inane comments? I've lost count of the number of times I have asked you...this may well be the last.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Not in Maryland. Here if the tree falls into your yard, it's yours.
Same as in Oregon. Are you responsible for damage to your property as well?

Here if a neighbors tree falls on my house my insurance has to cover it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.