Reload this Page >

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Old May 29th 2012, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Malibu Jen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Originally Posted by Nutek
My driving instructor always told me. "I'm not teaching you how to drive, I'm teaching you how to pass the test".
Yep. Most people say that you only learn to drive after you pass your test. I guess i've just been driving my way for far too long!
Old May 29th 2012, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving Instructors seem rarer than hens teeth.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:00 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lots of em back in 1979. Mostly having kids reversing into parking spaces next to my fathers Datsun Sunny
Old May 29th 2012, 7:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
My driving instructor always told me. "I'm not teaching you how to drive, I'm teaching you how to pass the test".
I only passed my driving test in the UK because I did an emergency stop when a kid outside a school stepped off the curb. I beat the examiner to the break (dual break instructors car). I was a nervous wreck going round and swear thats the only reason he passed me. His exact words when we got back to the centre were 'congratulations you have passed, now go home and practice'
Old May 29th 2012, 8:15 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Once my examiner realized I was from England, he got all excited and asked me lots of questions about the BBC, especially his all time fave show Are You Being Served. I drove around a parking lot then out to a set of traffic lights and back, by the time Mrs Slowcombe's pussy had come up in conversation we were done and I had passed.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Once my examiner realized I was from England, he got all excited and asked me lots of questions about the BBC, especially his all time fave show Are You Being Served. I drove around a parking lot then out to a set of traffic lights and back, by the time Mrs Slowcombe's pussy had come up in conversation we were done and I had passed.

Mrs Slocombe's pussy could be quite distracting.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malibu Jen
I'm not saying that i know it all. I'm just saying that the test is clearly bollocks and isn't a very good indicator of a good driver. The British test is much better designed and does require a lot of practice and knowledge to pass.

And it's a fact that i do have a lot of experience behind the wheel, i just didn't learn over here. Plus I learned the CA road rules the wrong way: by watching other drivers and actually driving on the roads (shock horror). If i'd learned like the teenagers do then i may have passed first time. That doesn't mean they're safer or better drivers, just that they conformed to the picky standards of the exam and examiners. Within a day of passing they'd be straight to rolling through stop signs and honking at everyone

But on my first test i was totally arrogant enough to think i knew it all. I expected to pass without reading anything about the rules

That's all i'm saying
Highly unlikely unless you took drivers ed as a teenager. When I was a teenager many years ago, myself and all my friends failed the first time since we didn't take drivers ed and just took the old mans car out without a licensed driver but the rich kids all took drivers ed and usually passed the first time. The person scoring the test is extremely strict with teenagers.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Highly unlikely unless you took drivers ed as a teenager. When I was a teenager many years ago, myself and all my friends failed the first time since we didn't take drivers ed and just took the old mans car out without a licensed driver but the rich kids all took drivers ed and usually passed the first time. The person scoring the test is extremely strict with teenagers.
Under-18s have to take 6 hours of driver training behind the wheel here. Then they get straight in the Hummer and go
Old May 29th 2012, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There's quite a few down my way, but that's mostly so kids can drive on the motorway as folks don't seem to want to take that risk

Scariest one I saw and the insurance must be through the roof was the car being either a Magnum or a 300. Either way, tad large for a 15 yr old pizza face to be learning to drive in
Old May 29th 2012, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Under-18s have to take 6 hours of driver training behind the wheel here. Then they get straight in the Hummer and go
But 50 years ago, that wasn't the case. Driver's ed was optional then and anyone in Minnesota could get a license at 15. I lived in a country village of about 400 people as a kid so all the kids learned by driving their dad's car for a few months (probably at 13 or 14) before they took the test.

I had a friend who owned a car (Keith) but he didn't have a license. I was in his car when the police (my uncle) was in the area (highly unusual) and he pulled us over. He said "Keith" I know you don't have a license but I'm just going to give you a warning this time but next time you won't be so fortunate. However this time the driver was "Harry", his older brother who had a license.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

But 50 years ago, that wasn't the case. Driver's ed was optional then and anyone in Minnesota could get a license at 15. I lived in a country village of about 400 people as a kid so all the kids learned by driving their dad's car for a few months (probably at 13 or 14) before they took the test.

I had a friend who owned a car (Keith) but he didn't have a license. I was in his car when the police (my uncle) was in the area (highly unusual) and he pulled us over. He said "Keith" I know you don't have a license but I'm just going to give you a warning this time but next time you won't be so fortunate. However this time the driver was "Harry", his older brother who had a license.
Oh I'm sure. My neighbour was telling me she's angry at the 'government interference'. She lets her kids drive at 14 because that was they did.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

I was such a wuss when i started driving that i probably would have taken Driver's Ed if i grew up here. I might be wrong but i don't think there is anything like Driver's Ed in the UK. It took me ages to learn in the UK when i first started driving and i basically just studied the HIghway Code and took a million practice tests for the theory and 'Hazard Perception' tests. Other than that it was HOURS of lessons and practice with my parents.

What i meant really was that if i'd grown up over here and learned on these roads with an instructor over here, i'd probably have no problem passing it and i can see why people think the test is so easy. Compared with the UK test it is very basic, and i passed that one first time.

Do you think they are stricter with teenagers? If so then i think it's pretty unfair. The same rules and scoring system should apply to all applicants really.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I might be wrong but i don't think there is anything like Driver's Ed in the UK.
I had lessons from a driving school and I think it's quite common to do so.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was such a wuss when i started driving that i probably would have taken Driver's Ed if i grew up here. I might be wrong but i don't think there is anything like Driver's Ed in the UK. It took me ages to learn in the UK when i first started driving and i basically just studied the HIghway Code and took a million practice tests for the theory and 'Hazard Perception' tests. Other than that it was HOURS of lessons and practice with my parents.

What i meant really was that if i'd grown up over here and learned on these roads with an instructor over here, i'd probably have no problem passing it and i can see why people think the test is so easy. Compared with the UK test it is very basic, and i passed that one first time.

Do you think they are stricter with teenagers? If so then i think it's pretty unfair. The same rules and scoring system should apply to all applicants really.
When I was a kid, all adults over 30 always passed (unless they hit someone) even if they only had one tooth left in their mouth, was hard of hearing, and could barely see.

But seriously, it seems that the person scoring the test is more vigilant for very small mistakes to mark down when the driver is a teenager. I believe that is just human nature. It would probably be the same if you were a passenger when a 15 year old is driving where you may not feel comfortable.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I had lessons from a driving school and I think it's quite common to do so.
I thought Driver's Ed was like a course you can take where you're taught in a classroom and practice in parking lots etc. (Of course i ashamed to say i'm basing that knowledge on really old school American high school shows that i watched when i was a kid like 'Saved by the Bell) Then if you want to learn with an instructor afterwards i thought that was your choice...

I took lessons with a independent instructor... probably about 30 before i put in for my test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.