Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Old May 26th 2012, 9:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I think many could pass a US test without ever having driven a vehicle. Maybe an hour beforehand would be enough.
My wife did better than that when she took her test, albeit some years ago. She got in the family truck and the first time she drove was from the farm to the DMV, about 15 minutes. She passed.
Old May 26th 2012, 9:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
These are good points and I'm sure fatbrit is just being facetious.
Except in places like New York or similar big cities, he is right. The test here in most places is extremely simple. Provided you turn your head to look over your shoulder, keep to the speed limit and stop at stops signs you should be good to go.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Malibu Jen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Sorry, Malibu Jen, that sucks! I took my test in Santa Monica, too. I think it's a slightly annoying neighbourhood to take the test in, by local standards, because there are *shockhorror* pedestrians and cyclists and fiddly little streets.

Have you taken any driving lessons here? I had my British license for ages, but taking a couple of lessons here helped me get some tips for the test, and generally made me confident about driving in LA (I originally learned to drive in backwoods Somerset). But it seems like you've probably just been unlucky with examiners. So many chronically grumpy people at the DMV...
Thanks for the sympathy

I've booked my third and final test on Friday so lets see what kind of examiner they give me this time! I could not really be more prepared than i am now. I've driven around the area a lot and watched all of the DMV 'Common mistakes' videos on YouTube. I've also read the manual like a hundred times.

It really is crazy how much effort i've had to put in to this, as a lot of people will argue that it's a really easy test to pass. I guess people have to remember that not everyone's experiences will be the same, even if you're in the same area. I drove a rental car all over Northern California, Nevada and Arizona in the Summer last year, and that was without really knowing any of the official rules. Had no issues at all, just like with my driving in the UK. The fact that i failed says more about the test and the examiner than it does about the way i drive.

But hey, i'll give it one more shot on Friday! Hopefully i'll get a nice examiner who doesn't feel like taking out their miserable day on a nice friendly Brit!
Old May 28th 2012, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Most drivers "with experience" have a multitude of bad habits. And I'm sorry, but in my experience most of them are also arrogant enough to believe they know it all and therefore the blame for any fail must lie with the test or the examiner.
Originally Posted by Malibu Jen
I drove a rental car all over Northern California, Nevada and Arizona in the Summer last year, and that was without really knowing any of the official rules. Had no issues at all, just like with my driving in the UK. The fact that i failed says more about the test and the examiner than it does about the way i drive.
Would it be bad form to say "I told you so".

Aww heck, of course not.
Old May 28th 2012, 8:21 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
My hubby failed first time too (for switching lanes without being asked so he could let someone in who was trying to get out of the turn left lane).

He continued to drive on his temp licence with no issues until his retest.

Over-exaggerate every move when taking your test. My examiner passed me but told me some people wouldn't have as he could see I was looking each way, but not physically turning my head so my chin was on my shoulder in each direction.
My neighbor in the Netherlands failed HIS driver's test there in the NL for the same reason. He retook the test with an exaggerated turn of the head,
Old May 28th 2012, 8:30 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee

No hill start, parallel park, three point turn or reversing 'round a corner!
I had to do all of those when I went to take my test in VT when I was 17 and I failed. It was in Jan, there was ice and snow and I was driving a Bug. The hill start was a no go.
Old May 28th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Aww heck, of course not.
It simply means you agree with him. Doesn't mean you're right.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

"Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused"

I'm confused about what the confusion is? Some mush behind the counter said you can drive home. Do that and book another test.

Next time waggle your head about a bit more and you'll pass the test.
Old May 29th 2012, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Aww heck, of course not.
I'm not saying that i know it all. I'm just saying that the test is clearly bollocks and isn't a very good indicator of a good driver. The British test is much better designed and does require a lot of practice and knowledge to pass.

And it's a fact that i do have a lot of experience behind the wheel, i just didn't learn over here. Plus I learned the CA road rules the wrong way: by watching other drivers and actually driving on the roads (shock horror). If i'd learned like the teenagers do then i may have passed first time. That doesn't mean they're safer or better drivers, just that they conformed to the picky standards of the exam and examiners. Within a day of passing they'd be straight to rolling through stop signs and honking at everyone

But on my first test i was totally arrogant enough to think i knew it all. I expected to pass without reading anything about the rules

That's all i'm saying
Old May 29th 2012, 4:39 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I learnt most of what I know about US roads by watching Columbo on TV. That's how I knew you had to stop for school busses

As for the actual test, it was barely worth the effort to show up with an actual car.
Old May 29th 2012, 4:43 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying that i know it all. I'm just saying that the test is clearly bollocks and isn't a very good indicator of a good driver. The British test is much better designed and does require a lot of practice and knowledge to pass.

And it's a fact that i do have a lot of experience behind the wheel, i just didn't learn over here. Plus I learned the CA road rules the wrong way: by watching other drivers and actually driving on the roads (shock horror). If i'd learned like the teenagers do then i may have passed first time. That doesn't mean they're safer or better drivers, just that they conformed to the picky standards of the exam and examiners. Within a day of passing they'd be straight to rolling through stop signs and honking at everyone

But on my first test i was totally arrogant enough to think i knew it all. I expected to pass without reading anything about the rules

That's all i'm saying
Why don't you try a different test centre? I took mine in Winnetka, I drove around the block while the instructor asked me questions about England. We got back to the test centre and he said 'I've really enjoyed our chat, oh, and you've passed.' Then again the same test centre did fail my husband first time
Old May 29th 2012, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by N1cky
Why don't you try a different test centre? I took mine in Winnetka, I drove around the block while the instructor asked me questions about England. We got back to the test centre and he said 'I've really enjoyed our chat, oh, and you've passed.' Then again the same test centre did fail my husband first time
Yeah, i thought about a different test centre; Santa Monica appears to be a tricky place. But i've practiced a lot there now, so i'm going to give it one more shot

If they fail me again then i'll definitely go elsewhere!
Old May 29th 2012, 5:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Not so. In the UK you are expected to check over both shoulders before moving off, and to then look over the respective shoulder (left or right) before any change of direction (lane change, entering/leaving carriageway etc etc).
That's so true for the test, when you've passed the test you really learn to drive, all you are doing in the test is showing that you can control the car and do everything the way they are written, usually suggested that you slightly offset your rear view mirror so that you have to move your head each time you use it, just so the examiner can see the movement. I very much doubt that anyone does that amount of looking over their shoulder once driving after the test has been passed.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just saying that the test ... isn't a very good indicator of a good driver.
It's not meant to be. You aren't being tested to determine whether or not you're a good driver. You're being tested to determine whether or not you can drive according to the accepted rules.

Ian
Old May 29th 2012, 6:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's not meant to be. You aren't being tested to determine whether or not you're a good driver. You're being tested to determine whether or not you can drive according to the accepted rules.

Ian
My driving instructor always told me. "I'm not teaching you how to drive, I'm teaching you how to pass the test".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.