Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fahrenheit 9/11

Fahrenheit 9/11

Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:07 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Fahrenheit 9/11

Anybody get to see it yet?

Was it interesting or awful?

Unfortunately the state of Mississippi is so afraid of freedom of speech that only one cinema in the state up in Tupelo is showing it. Not a single place in the Jackson area. You may agree with Michael Moore you may not but what kind of facists are afraid to even show the movie? Lets face it they took $21.6 million this weekend on a limited distribution across 868 cinemas thats better than eg 'around the world in 80 days' across thousands of screens. Its just pure censorship.

I will get to see it next week when i move to Cambridge MA but i shouldnt have to move 1400 miles to enjoy freedom of speech and hear an alternative viewpoint. Mississippi is such a shit hole.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:36 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't seen it yet and it's driving me nuts. Being in the republican south, no cinema in my area is showing it. I'd have to drive 3 hours north to Atlanta to see it. If we could find a sitter, we'd go.

Some cinemas showed the movie all through the night so that people could get to see it.

You can read some feedback on Moore's site (granted it will be the positive feedback from his site) here:

The View From America: Responses to Fahrenheit 9/11

The reviews so far a good. Some Americans are claiming that they have never been to a movie that has received a standing ovation during the closing credits.

LOS ANGELES -- Michael Moore's anti-Bush "Fahrenheit 9/11" became the highest-grossing documentary of all time on its first weekend in release, taking in $21.8 million as it packed theaters across the country this weekend.

The movie, mocking President Bush and criticizing his decision to go to war in Iraq, was No. 1 at the box office, beating out the popular comedies "White Chicks" and "DodgeBall," which were playing on almost triple the number of screens.

Theater owners in large cities and smaller towns reported sellout crowds over the weekend, with numerous theaters declaring house records.
All those cinemas that were stupid enough not to show it are probably really pissed now that they didn't get a slice of the profits.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 6:23 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to see this on the weekend. After his last movie was dissected and shown to be mostly made up I didn't have high hopes for the accuracy of this one.

It was an enjoyable movie as a stand-alone film goes. But talk about conspiratorial! And none of it new thinking either to be honest. Mostly his arguments have been heard before. Alot of what he shows or says is pretty dodgy even on first viewing. For instance he presents Iraq, "a sovereign nation" as a paradise before it gets bombed to crap by those evil Americans. In fact he presents Iraq as a peaceful country that is of no danger to anyone, and that Saddam has never not once attacked or killed an American. Which is stretching it by somewhat. He also shows Bush "on another vacation" to show how lazy and uncaring he is, but sat right next to him is Tony Blair! That's a vacation? Or Moore's argument that the Afghan war was solely to build a pipeline is mentalism. The thing that really shows this movie is on shaky ground is the long opening. Moore suggests that as GWBush, the Saudi royal family, the Taliban, and Bin Laden are all in cahoots this explains why the bin laden family were permitted to leave the US during the no-fly days after 9/11. I suppose it must have irritated Moore that the 9/11 commission already debunked that one between Cannes and the US release, and his film's hero (Richard Clarke) went and ruined this by saying he allowed the Saudi's to leave the US.

Moore tho isn't afraid to go sticking camera's in important people's faces and that's always fun. But in an attempt to ask Members of Congress to enlist their own children into the armed services he goes and badgers Mike Castle of Delaware. I'm sure Moore knows this but Castle doesn't even have any kids!

Decent movie but blatantly full of it.

Oh, and nice to see Ralph Nader calling Moore a sell-out fatty -:
"I've been at him for years, saying 'you've got to lose weight,' " Nader said in the phone interview. "Now, he's doubled. Private exhortations aren't working. It's extremely serious. He's over 300 pounds. He's like a giant beach ball."
Old Jun 28th 2004, 6:56 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I was listening to a evening talk radio show the other evening on my way back from Saginaw toward Flint and a caller said that M.M.'s next project was going to be a "Full investigation" of the murder of Princess Diana". Of course it was by the CIA and Mossad. It would be interesting, but I doubt that M.M.'s in a big hurry to alienate his biggest following- European's of the left.

After he solves the Di thing, maybe he could work on the whold JFK issue?

Perhaps he could even look into FDR's allowing Pearl Harbor to happen too (more truth there than most Democrats care to hear....forget that- he'd alienate his followers here too)
Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

I have no desire to give 8 bucks to that fat ass, just so he can tell me HIS opinions on things he knows nothing about.

No thanks.

-= nav =-
Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:19 pm
Monkey

Trisha is an unknown quantity at this point

i saw it at the one theater in Tupelo.

I thought it was good. It was not as controversial as people have made it out to be. Obviously, (and i think everyone is aware) Moore has an agenda, but the movie was more than worth watching. I was actually proud of the crowd in the theater...some of whom drove upwards of 2 hours to come and see it. That's pretty amazing for this state...

T.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Well I posted about this somewhere else today so I'm just going to cut and paste

I went to see it on Saturday afternoon and to be honest my main motivation was the controversy surrounding it, that and the fact I live in DFW, Texas and really wanted to see how people reacted to it here.

We bought our tickets online, this turned out to be a good move as the lines were huge and the screening we went to was jam packed. It was good to see so many people moving around so all the available seats were used etc.

The audience ranged from small babies to very old people with walking sticks, who had to be assisted to sit down. I don’t think in my year in the country with a hefty amount of movie going under my belt, I have ever seen the room so packed with such a wide age range. I have definitely never seen an audience more involved.

I have not seen any of Michael Moore’s other films, so I was interested to see if all the scathing reviews of this film were valid and to be fair, some points are, some points are most definitely not.

I don’t think there was any key fact I was not already aware of just from reading the news from the BBC etc. It was however, far more thought provoking seeing the footage.

As a film maker Michael Moore played very well with emotions, that is certainly true, many people in the audience cried and at points I found myself on the verge of tears.

He also very skillfully spliced together footage of many of the Bush administrations comments on Iraq prior to 9/11 and then post 9/11 in the run up to the war. That had far more impact than having just read about it.

For me he let himself down with his humour, it was often misplaced, I found it to be tasteless sometimes, and sometimes it would have been much more powerful if he had let the image speak for itself. The part showing Pres.Bush in the classroom after being told of the planes hitting the twin towers would have benefited from silence, or at least without his humour which I personally didn’t find funny.

There are some graphic scenes of violence which are hard to watch, and while I will probably take my 16 year old daughter to see the film I probably wouldn’t take children much younger than that unless they are particularly adept at handling that kind of thing, it is after all real violence, and not actors, and that I find to be particularly upsetting.

Overall I found the film to be good, and worth a watch. I think even if you like Bush and support his policies you would be hard pressed not to laugh at some of the footage. Also, some of the realities of the war that we don’t really see on a day to day basis were covered and that really brings it home and it’s harsh.

There was an enormous round of applause at the end and at points throughout. I originally thought this would be a rental movie but the audience participation was amazing.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:07 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by supernav
I have no desire to give 8 bucks to that fat ass, just so he can tell me HIS opinions on things he knows nothing about.

No thanks.

-= nav =-
ahh, who asked for your opinion?

Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ironporer
I was listening to a evening talk radio show the other evening on my way back from Saginaw toward Flint and a caller said that M.M.'s next project was going to be a "Full investigation" of the murder of Princess Diana". Of course it was by the CIA and Mossad. It would be interesting, but I doubt that M.M.'s in a big hurry to alienate his biggest following- European's of the left.

After he solves the Di thing, maybe he could work on the whold JFK issue?

Perhaps he could even look into FDR's allowing Pearl Harbor to happen too (more truth there than most Democrats care to hear....forget that- he'd alienate his followers here too)
I watched an interview with him the other morning and he said his next project was going to be HMOs and the Pharmacutical Cos. Hope so, they really need to be taken to task or at least hi-lited as being the shits that they really are.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:10 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by effi
I watched an interview with him the other morning and he said his next project was going to be HMOs and the Pharmacutical Cos. Hope so, they really need to be taken to task or at least hi-lited as being the shits that they really are.

don't blame the pharma. companies,

blame the government for pushing them into a corner
Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:15 pm
dealing with it

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
don't blame the pharma. companies,

blame the government for pushing them into a corner
I should elaborate...

Government want Pharma companies to research new and important drugs in order to solve the disease and illness in the world...

But they are not that keen on funding any of this research

so Pharma. companies spend their own money (but they are a business and need to mae a good return)

so they charge extortionate rprices for the new rpoduct when it hits the market...

did you relaise that only 1 in 40 of IND (Investigational New drugs) actually makes it to market and each drug can cost up to 1 Billion to research to phase 4

want cheaper drugs? then lobby the government to fund (at least part of the research)
Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by supernav

No thanks.

-= nav =-
LMAO you were born a fool & a fool you will die nav. Why do we have to put up with your opinions on things you know nothing about ?

Moore for president.........
Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

ahh, who asked for your opinion?

Oh go on, complete the sentence Chopper. You know, the "on things he knows nothing about" part.........

Hmm, I see we have a case of great minds thinking alike - just saw previous post. Well it was a bit of a set-up line, wasn't it.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 28th 2004 at 8:34 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

I should elaborate...

Government want Pharma companies to research new and important drugs in order to solve the disease and illness in the world...

But they are not that keen on funding any of this research

so Pharma. companies spend their own money (but they are a business and need to mae a good return)

so they charge extortionate rprices for the new rpoduct when it hits the market...

did you relaise that only 1 in 40 of IND (Investigational New drugs) actually makes it to market and each drug can cost up to 1 Billion to research to phase 4

want cheaper drugs? then lobby the government to fund (at least part of the research)
Sorry but this to a certain extent is bs. When USA can sell USA manufactured drugs to Canada cheaply who in turn sell them back to American Citizens at a reduced rate then something is sadly wrong. The pharma industry in the US is out of control as far as pricing for medications. I know they have to spend a lot of money on research etc, but they are screwing the American public. It is a sad indictment when the citizens of this country have to go to foreign countries to get the medications they need and those that cannot afford to go to other countries often have to decide which medication to give up for the month as they cannot afford to buy them. Either that or they cut back on the dosage to try and save some money, very sad state of affairs.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:46 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy

Moore for president.........
I'll vote for him- as long as it's for President of Cuba, N. Korea, Iraq, Afganistan, or (PM) of the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.