Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

F1 student supplementing income by working remotely for UK company

F1 student supplementing income by working remotely for UK company

Old Apr 29th 2013, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Question F1 student supplementing income by working remotely for UK company

Hi All,

I am a software engineer in the UK with a BSc but planning to pursue MSc qualification in the US.

What would happen if I supplemented my income by working ~15 hours a week remotely for my UK based LTD with UK customers? The nature of my work is that it can be done from anywhere.

I guess my questions are:
a) How would they ever find this out?
b) If they did find it out what would the consequences be?

Thanks,
James
Old Apr 29th 2013, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 student supplementing income by working remotely for UK company

Originally Posted by destone
What would happen if I supplemented my income by working ~15 hours a week remotely for my UK based LTD with UK customers?
What would happen? You would be violating the terms of the F-1 visa. On an F-1 visa, you are allowed to work only on campus for up to 20 hours per week (or off campus in a very limited capacity), and only after the 1st year.

a) How would they ever find this out?
They likely won't... but that isn't the same as the question you really wanted to ask: "Can I get away with it?"

b) If they did find it out what would the consequences be?
You'd be in violation of your F-1 visa. The visa will likely be revoked, you'd have to leave school, and you'd likely be removed from the US - with a possible ban on returning.

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2013, 11:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
......You'd be in violation of your F-1 visa. The visa will likely be revoked, you'd have to leave school, and you'd likely be removed from the US - with a possible ban on returning. .....
You'd also likely guilty of tax evasion, if you don't pay US income taxes and social security deductions, assuming you don't file a US tax return showing the income earned while you were physically in the US.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Very good question -- and there are a lot of fuzzy areas. The law can get confusing in part because there unauthorized employment of aliens by employers and then there is unauthorized employment by aliens. The former is subject to more regulation than the later.

Where the various dividing lines are a matter of much in the way of debate in the immigration bar.

BTW, taxation is on "income."