Reload this Page >

F1 Student Query

F1 Student Query

Old Jul 18th 2002, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

gpkarthik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 Student Query

Dear Forum Users,

I came across your wonderful website which is so informative. I would like to really congratulate the users for having done a comprehensive job of answering queries.

I have a question?

I just graduated with a master's degree from Univ. of Massachusetts and am presently on my OPT card. I have gained admission in their PhD program. I have also received my I-20 for the PhD program.

My F1 visa is expiring in Dec 02. I plan to go to the Montreal US consulate office to get my F1 extended before my current F1 expires. I wanted to know if there would be any problem in returning/re-entry to USA in case my Visa is not approved?

I would be very grateful if anyone could spare some time to answer this query.

Sincerely,
Prabhu Ganesan
Old Jul 18th 2002, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: F1 Student Query

An expired F-1 visa with a current I-20 shouldn't cause any problem for extension. Likewise at port of entry, but there's never a 100% guarantee.
Old Jul 18th 2002, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

gpkarthik is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Mail mena,

I actually have an current F1 visa , But I have graduated and am on practical training card.

I just wanted to know if its easy/non problamatic to reenter USA with a current F1 visa and practical training card.

Thnaks for u'r time

Regards
Kart
Old Jul 21st 2002, 2:20 am
Sylvia Ottemoel

gpkarthik wrote:

> I actually have an current F1 visa , But I have graduated and am on practical
    > training card.
    >
    > I just wanted to know if its easy/non problamatic to reenter USA with a current F1
    > visa and practical training card.

It is not particularly risky if you have a valid F-1 visa, a properl endorsed I-20,
and a letter from your employer saying that you are expected to return to your job,
and that your job is a practical training position which is temporary in nature.

If you are not working, the risk is quite a bit higher.