British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   F1 to H1B, what do my spouse need, to apply for H4 visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/f1-h1b-what-do-my-spouse-need-apply-h4-visa-111003/)

rikenk Sep 5th 2002 1:52 am

F1 to H1B, what do my spouse need, to apply for H4 visa?

Hi,

I was on F1 visa, and have just got H1B visa, but I havent got it stamped, I got it as my change of status, a new I94.

Now I am planning to call my wife here to the US on dependent H4 visa. What documents does she need to carry with her when she appears for visa interview?

Do I need to have H1B visa stamped in my passport, for her to get the visa or the new I94 is good enough?

If H1B visa stamp is a must, then do I need to get it stamped ONLY in my home country?

Waiting for repliesss!!!

Have FUN!!!
Rik

Len Sep 5th 2002 11:28 pm

Re: F1 to H1B, what do my spouse need, to apply for H4 visa?

Rik, The consulate of your home country should contain the requirements for a H4
application. A lot of US consulates require that your spouse along with the
application provide a photo copy of your H-1 Visa stamped on your passport.

Yes, you have to go back to your country of origin. The option to apply in Canada or
Mexico no longer exists and if you enter those countries you will not be allowed to
return in to the US without a valid US visa.

I'm in a similar situation; when you get your wife over let me know if the I-94 and
the INS approval of your H-1 sufficed.

Hope this helps, Len

> I was on F1 visa, and have just got H1B visa, but I havent got it stamped, I got it
    > as my change of status, a new I94. Now I am planning to call my wife here to the US
    > on dependent H4 visa. What documents does she need to carry with her when she
    > appears for visa interview? Do I need to have H1B visa stamped in my passport, for
    > her to get the visa or the new I94 is good enough? If H1B visa stamp is a must,
    > then do I need to get it stamped ONLY in my home country?

Sylvia Ottemoeller Sep 11th 2002 7:55 pm

Re: F1 to H1B, what do my spouse need, to apply for H4 visa?

"Len" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...

> The consulate of your home country should contain the requirements for a H4
    > application. A lot of US consulates require that your spouse along with the
    > application provide a photo copy of your H-1 Visa stamped on your passport.
    > Yes, you have to go back to your country of origin. The option to apply in Canada
    > or Mexico no longer exists

The option to apply in Canada or Mexico still exists. If the consular post refuses
the visa application, the person must travel directly to the home country to apply
for the visa there, without entering the U.S

I just heard of a student from Nepal getting an F-1 visa in Canada. He had a
previous F-1 visa which had expired. So -- it may be difficult for third country
nationals to get a visa in Canada or Mexico, but it is not impossible.

and if you enter those
    > countries you will not be allowed to return in to the US without a valid US visa.
    > I'm in a similar situation; when you get your wife over let me know if the I-94 and
    > the INS approval of your H-1 sufficed.

> > I was on F1 visa, and have just got H1B visa, but I havent got it stamped, I got
    > > it as my change of status, a new I94. Now I am planning to call my wife here to
    > > the US on dependent H4 visa. What documents does she need to carry with her when
    > > she appears for visa interview?

> > Do I need to have H1B visa stamped in my passport, for her to get the visa or the
    > > new I94 is good enough?

> > If H1B visa stamp is a must, then do I need to get it stamped ONLY in my home
    > > country?