Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Extreme Makeover "Auditions"

Wikiposts

Extreme Makeover "Auditions"

Old May 17th 2004, 7:58 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extreme Makeover "Auditions"

I have to share this with you. I was in a hoity-toity mall in Raleigh last week (had to get a stock of HE washing powder for my front loading washing machine) when I saw an enormous line of people waiting.

It eventually dawned on me that the ones wearing black were from the makers of the Extreme Makover show and were looking for candidates for forthcoming shows.

I'll say that over 95% of the line consisted of women, most of whom looked normal to me and were of different ethnicities (mostly white and black). Visually speaking, I couldn't really spot anyone who "deserved" to be hacked up to improve their appearance.

Some of those in the line were certainly in their 20s and 30s too!

I think it's no coincidence that the booths were candidates were interviewed and the clothes worn by the production team were
black.

What drives these people to want to have surgery as broadcast in the show? Is it partly desperation to change their appearance to be "happier"?
Old May 17th 2004, 8:11 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Extreme Makeover "Auditions"

Originally posted by NC Penguin
What drives these people to want to have surgery as broadcast in the show? Is it partly desperation to change their appearance to be "happier"?
Maybe it's cos it'll cost them either next-to-nothing or nothing at all - it's amazing what having a television camera on you will do for you!

I tell ya what though, if only they'd be around my area after this baby's born then I'd offer myself up for a freebie! LOL
Old May 17th 2004, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
Maybe it's cos it'll cost them either next-to-nothing or nothing at all - it's amazing what having a television camera on you will do for you!

I tell ya what though, if only they'd be around my area after this baby's born then I'd offer myself up for a freebie! LOL

roflmao.........

oh yeah......After 4 kids, I would definately go for a free tummy tuck!!!! Not to mention the bags under my eyes from no sleep..

The rest of me is just fine thank you very much....

That show cracks me up sometimes... They are all gun ho to get it done. Have the surgery.... Then OMG EXERCISE!!! DIET!!! no way... so they don't end up as supermodels of 120lbs... but get free surgery....
Oh and what they think they will achieve with the counselling sessions I have no idea... Come on dear 3 months and we will free you of all your issues, while your body is being chopped up..

What if the coundelling worked and they realised that cosmetic surgery was not the thing to do because they can accept themselves for who they are now.... LOL

Must admit though there have been a couple that bought a tear to my eye, especially the woman with the hair lip... Amasing!!!

Oh and did anyone see the guy that lost so much weight they had to chop off all the lose skin!!!!
Old May 17th 2004, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

did anyone see the gollum look a like who worked in a dept store... OMG I would have run away from that kinda smile...

she did look a LOT better afterwards...

similar to "The Swan" in that its flawed but makes for good TV.
Old May 17th 2004, 2:29 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

I think it's no coincidence that the booths were candidates were interviewed and the clothes worn by the production team were
black.

Something wrong with wearing black?
Old May 18th 2004, 1:33 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monster
Something wrong with wearing black?
If I see someone head to toe in black I think:
1) they're mafia or mafia wannabees
2) they're in mourning or going to a funeral

It makes no sense in a place like NC at this time of year to wear black. You'd absorb more sunlight which is OK if you're a plant but not if you're human and might pass out at the wheel of your car or on the sidewalk
Old May 18th 2004, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by USBound
did anyone see the gollum look a like who worked in a dept store... OMG I would have run away from that kinda smile...

she did look a LOT better afterwards...

similar to "The Swan" in that its flawed but makes for good TV.
they kept showing her poor teeth over and over and I kept thinking, "What was that about Britons having bad teeth again?"
Old May 18th 2004, 3:02 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

If I see someone head to toe in black I think:
1) they're mafia or mafia wannabees
2) they're in mourning or going to a funeral

It makes no sense in a place like NC at this time of year to wear black. You'd absorb more sunlight which is OK if you're a plant but not if you're human and might pass out at the wheel of your car or on the sidewalk
Sad. Very sad.