Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Extra Baggage for Migrants?

Extra Baggage for Migrants?

Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough
Default Extra Baggage for Migrants?

When we moved to Australia 5 years ago we were allowed to have an extra baggage allowance (with Singapore Airlines) as we had a one way ticket and a residency visa. Our flight to Seattle is with Delta, leaving Sydney via LAX but I can't find any info on whether this extra allowance is offered by U.S. based airlines. I've tried ringing Delta here in Australia and their Indian-based minimum wage call centre tell me that there's no extra baggage allowance but I don't really trust their answer.... has anyone else gotten an extra allowance because they were a migrant?

Btw, I've tried asking DH's employers to look into it and they thought I was asking for them to pay for excess baggage charges (which they will up to a certain limit).

Any thoughts??
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extra Baggage for Migrants?

Originally Posted by SamG
When we moved to Australia 5 years ago we were allowed to have an extra baggage allowance (with Singapore Airlines) as we had a one way ticket and a residency visa. Our flight to Seattle is with Delta, leaving Sydney via LAX but I can't find any info on whether this extra allowance is offered by U.S. based airlines. I've tried ringing Delta here in Australia and their Indian-based minimum wage call centre tell me that there's no extra baggage allowance but I don't really trust their answer.... has anyone else gotten an extra allowance because they were a migrant?

Btw, I've tried asking DH's employers to look into it and they thought I was asking for them to pay for excess baggage charges (which they will up to a certain limit).

Any thoughts??
The "Indian-based minimum wage call centre" could well be right - to your surprise.

No extra lugg based on just migration..

However, I am told DELTA offer generous checked in lugg.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by E3only
The "Indian-based minimum wage call centre" could well be right - to your surprise.
Absolutely they could be, and probably are - I just have less trust in the answers I get from call centres because they generally work from a script and aren't necessarily the best place to get the answer to an unusual request.

I have looked at Delta's website and the only thing I could find on checked luggage allowances for flights from our part of the world is 2 items totalling <50lbs. No mention of exceptions except for active service military personnel.

Just wondering if anyone knew different....
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:28 am
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

I have looked at Delta's website and the only thing I could find on checked luggage allowances for flights from our part of the world is 2 items totalling <50lbs. No mention of exceptions except for active service military personnel.

Just wondering if anyone knew different....
When I flew from the UK in June this year, the limit was roughly that...two cases each weighing 25kg max. Extras were at a surcharge of £50, which is about $75US.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bivlover
When I flew from the UK in June this year, the limit was roughly that...two cases each weighing 25kg max. Extras were at a surcharge of £50, which is about $75US.
BA, from the UK, only allow one checked on bag if you're travelling cattle class
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I flew from Heathrow to the US last October with Continental and I had 6 massive cases, (I was flying with my 2 young kids) and I had to pay $50 for each extra case. Although they were all over weight I didn't have to pay any more at check in, even though I thought I should. We were also only allowed 1 piece of carry on each and that had to be a certain size. I think only Australia allow extra baggage for people emigrating.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only

No extra lugg based on just migration..

However, I am told DELTA offer generous checked in lugg.

They do? News to me and I've flown Delta on the last two trips I've taken in the last year. A sh*t airline.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I'm told by a friend who worked at LHR, if you call Virgin, explain that your emigrating, they are very helpful, I didnt need to use it in the end so thats not person experience. Worth a phone call though.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
I'm told by a friend who worked at LHR, if you call Virgin, explain that your emigrating, they are very helpful, I didnt need to use it in the end so thats not person experience. Worth a phone call though.
I hope you mean VAustralia? I called them 2 times (well I called and then my wife called) and explained and they said - 'tough'.....nothing more than 32 kgs even if immigrating..
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
They do? News to me and I've flown Delta on the last two trips I've taken in the last year. A sh*t airline.
Oh, I meant when I flew Vaustralia - Delta were offering more than what Vaustralia did. VA was 32 kilos and Delta was more than that.

Delta = piece of sh** though. I don't think they even have individual tv screens & the common TVs are controlled by the crew......13 hour flight, I rather pay few hundred more and travel with entertainment....
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, looks like no extra for us

Sadly, it's not us booking our flight, it's DH's employer's Travel Dept. I already requested 'anyone but United' due to their lack of individual screens (thinking we'd get Qantas) and nearly had heart failure when I saw it was Delta!!! Delta's website said that some planes have shared screens and some have individual, I look on seatguru and they said that our flight would have individual entertainment. Let's hope so!!

Yes it would be a long flight with shared entertainment - I have 4 kids between the ages of 5 and 9
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, it's not us booking our flight, it's DH's employer's Travel Dept. I already requested 'anyone but United' due to their lack of individual screens (thinking we'd get Qantas) and nearly had heart failure when I saw it was Delta!!! Delta's website said that some planes have shared screens and some have individual, I look on seatguru and they said that our flight would have individual entertainment. Let's hope so!!

Yes it would be a long flight with shared entertainment - I have 4 kids between the ages of 5 and 9
Dont bank on what they tell you the aircraft has and what you actually get! AA advertised seat back screens last time I flew with them, in reality it was the old telly every so many seats in the isle, not that it mattered because the ones we could see didn't actually work!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Your husband's employer will 99.9% of the time pick the cheapest flights regardless of any of your wishes
Thing to look for is what plane you'll be flying in on on Delta's website as that determines the TV type you get. The newer the plane the more chance of a TV in the back of the seat in front of you. In our recent Phoenix/Seattle/Chicago/Manchester/Newark/Seattle trip only 2 of the planes had TVs on the seat backs - From Chicago to Manchester and from Manchester to Newark. 3 different airlines too
I would have thought Long Haul you'd have a good chance but LA to Seattle I wouldn't bank on it
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
Your husband's employer will 99.9% of the time pick the cheapest flights regardless of any of your wishes
Thing to look for is what plane you'll be flying in on on Delta's website as that determines the TV type you get. The newer the plane the more chance of a TV in the back of the seat in front of you. In our recent Phoenix/Seattle/Chicago/Manchester/Newark/Seattle trip only 2 of the planes had TVs on the seat backs - From Chicago to Manchester and from Manchester to Newark. 3 different airlines too
I would have thought Long Haul you'd have a good chance but LA to Seattle I wouldn't bank on it
Unfortunately they often switch aircraft, and of course offer anything to get bookings!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by traceym
Unfortunately they often switch aircraft, and of course offer anything to get bookings!
Ah, I've only had my plane changed once and that was an internal flight in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.