Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

extra baggage?

extra baggage?

Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: extra baggage?

Cool, thats a huge box, so do they want that back or do you have to dispose of it?
I went hunting about on their site and they have a 100 cubic feet one too, I was hoping to put Dh's tool chest in one plus boxes of household stuff if they are sturdy enough seeing you said they don't weigh it. Either that or we'd move up to a 20 foot container and fill it our self if it was left with us for a week or so.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Shazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Cool, thats a huge box, so do they want that back or do you have to dispose of it?
I went hunting about on their site and they have a 100 cubic feet one too, I was hoping to put Dh's tool chest in one plus boxes of household stuff if they are sturdy enough seeing you said they don't weigh it. Either that or we'd move up to a 20 foot container and fill it our self if it was left with us for a week or so.
The crate is mine to keep. I was worried about the disposal of it but my friend (who's garage it's in) says she doesn't mind keeping it so I've lucked out there
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:00 am
Just Joined

jminaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britwhore
Hi folks,

Just researching shipping stuff back to the UK (headache inducing!!) We've decided against shipping furniture so it would be mostly clothes, books etc. I noticed BA allows 3 pieces of luggage if you're flying first class (airmiles - thankfully!!!!!!) But u can have up to 10 bags each (each bag is $119) It would definitely be cheaper than shipping.

Just wondered if anyone had moved back and used their extra baggage allowance to get their stuff back?!?

If not - anyone moving back from California next may/June and want to split a container?!?!
We are moving back next month and as you, are only taking clothes, books and memorable items. We shipped our stuff last week with U Pak We Ship in S. Carolina (we are in Arizona) and so far are very impressed. The price was not too bad ($9.95/cubic foot in a shared container). They had UPS Freight pick up our boxes and deliver to their terminal in South Carolina where it is then loaded into a shared container and sent over to Felixstowe in the UK. All said and done they say 5-6 weeks with delivery to our new address. The website for more info is http://www.upakweship.com. Will try to remember to post when we get our stuff the other end and see how it does. Airline luggage can get expensive, plus you have to deal with it all at the airport. Personally moving is enough stress without worrying about how to get around with all that luggage - we are taking our personal limit on BA which is 1 checked bag and one carry on per person in coach, plus our cats who are coming via the Pet Scheme. Personally that is enough luggage for me and luckily we have a family member with a bigger car picking us up so not having to worry about managing with trains and such. Good luck!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks yeah, after giving the extra baggage thing more thought I realized it would be too much of a headache!! Good luck with the move. So far that company seems to be a popular choice.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

jminaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to retract the recommendation I gave for UPakWeShip-we used them for our recent move and they lost 16 of our boxes and after only "searching" for a week are saying there is nothing they can do. Unacceptable and I would recommend others stay away from this company-not quite sure how they can "loose" that many boxes - I could possibly understand one or two boxes but 16?! Really wishing I had mailed some of the stuff that is now missing as it is irreplaceable (handed down from generations and cannot be replaced). Next time I would definately spend the rediculous fees and mail stuff to myself or pay extra luggage rather than trust a shipping company who does not seem to care. Sorry for my rant, my Christmas has now been ruined! I hope no one else has this kind of loss when moving as moving is already stressful time.

Originally Posted by jminaz
We are moving back next month and as you, are only taking clothes, books and memorable items. We shipped our stuff last week with U Pak We Ship in S. Carolina (we are in Arizona) and so far are very impressed. The price was not too bad ($9.95/cubic foot in a shared container). They had UPS Freight pick up our boxes and deliver to their terminal in South Carolina where it is then loaded into a shared container and sent over to Felixstowe in the UK. All said and done they say 5-6 weeks with delivery to our new address. The website for more info is http://www.upakweship.com. Will try to remember to post when we get our stuff the other end and see how it does. Airline luggage can get expensive, plus you have to deal with it all at the airport. Personally moving is enough stress without worrying about how to get around with all that luggage - we are taking our personal limit on BA which is 1 checked bag and one carry on per person in coach, plus our cats who are coming via the Pet Scheme. Personally that is enough luggage for me and luckily we have a family member with a bigger car picking us up so not having to worry about managing with trains and such. Good luck!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 10:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness thats an awful update Jminaz.
Now I'm really going to have to re read all the recommendations here to make sure our stuff arrives. Maybe I'll post the most precious stuff and cross my fingers.
The idea of putting all the pics on flash drives sounds good to me now, it'll be a few boxes of picture albums less to ship and I can stick flash drives in the bottom of my bag.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh my goodness thats an awful update Jminaz.
Now I'm really going to have to re read all the recommendations here to make sure our stuff arrives. Maybe I'll post the most precious stuff and cross my fingers.
The idea of putting all the pics on flash drives sounds good to me now, it'll be a few boxes of picture albums less to ship and I can stick flash drives in the bottom of my bag.
I too will have to re-think about using them as well. While I am not bringing furniture I do have pictures on the wall, ornaments etc that want to bring...ugh one more headache