British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   extra baggage? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/extra-baggage-735708/)

britwhore Oct 15th 2011 2:04 am

extra baggage?

Hi folks,

Just researching shipping stuff back to the UK (headache inducing!!) We've decided against shipping furniture so it would be mostly clothes, books etc. I noticed BA allows 3 pieces of luggage if you're flying first class (airmiles - thankfully!!!!!!) But u can have up to 10 bags each (each bag is $119) It would definitely be cheaper than shipping.

Just wondered if anyone had moved back and used their extra baggage allowance to get their stuff back?!?

If not - anyone moving back from California next may/June and want to split a container?!?!

Mummy in the foothills Oct 15th 2011 3:35 am

Re: extra baggage?

We just paid for one extra bag for Ds I think it was $40 or $60 up to 50lbs but he wasn't in first class, it's cattle class for us LOL.
I had wondered about doing this, but we don't know anyone with a vehicle big enough to take so much luggage for us. We'd need a U-haul.
Have you looked at First luggage, you get a BA discount and it says it's door to door so you wouldn't have to schlep it yourself. but it's more than $119 a case

britwhore Oct 15th 2011 5:28 am

It would usually be cattle class for me too!!!! :)

I saw that they can deliver but I can't access that part of their site for some reason. I know what u mean about schlepping it especially with 4 dogs as well :ohmy:

Shazban Oct 15th 2011 4:31 pm

I actually shipped my belongings over with Upakweship. I got a 50 cube crate filled to it's brim (no weight restrictions) that was delivered to my door just yesterday actually. Total cost was $1,058.00. I did incur an additional fee of £53 because the container my crate was in was stopped at customs. I've gone through most of the contents so far and not one single item was broken or damaged and I have a LOT of glass. I'm very pleased with the service I received.

britwhore Oct 15th 2011 4:34 pm

Sounds good Shazban. Was that 50 cubic feet?!?! Glad to hear everything turned up in one piece! :)

Shazban Oct 15th 2011 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 9676543)
Sounds good Shazban. Was that 50 cubic feet?!?! Glad to hear everything turned up in one piece! :)

Yes, 50 cubic feet. I just packed everything in boxes and then put those boxes in the crate. It was pretty straightforward and easy. Just glad it arrived when it did because all our winter clothes were in it and the weather is supposed to change this week I've heard :thumbup:

britwhore Oct 15th 2011 7:22 pm

winter clothes!! It's been a while since I've needed those!! :D

Mummy in the foothills Oct 15th 2011 8:18 pm

50 cubic feet sounds like plenty of room for us to ship stuff. Did everything have to be boxed?
Where did you ship from East or West coast for that price Shazban?
Take a picture of the crate so we can see what they sent you to fill please please please

britwhore Oct 15th 2011 9:58 pm

Sadly I don't think 50 cubic feet is going to be enough :o We did get a great deal from Premier Worldwide for 400 cubic feet - $4400 door to door, not bad right?!?!?

Mummy in the foothills Oct 15th 2011 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 9676894)
Sadly I don't think 50 cubic feet is going to be enough :o We did get a great deal from Premier Worldwide for 400 cubic feet - $4400 door to door, not bad right?!?!?

That does sound good seeing that the 50 cubic feet was just over $1000 :thumbup:

dave99 Oct 16th 2011 10:01 pm

I shipped all mine, 9 medium sized boxes, cost me around $500 using wridgeways

They are due to arrive in a couple weeks

britwhore Oct 16th 2011 10:19 pm

Hi dave99. Where did u ship from? I haven't heard of that company. Was that 500 door to door with no hidden fees? Let us know when they arrive :)

britwhore Oct 16th 2011 10:21 pm

I just googled them and see they're in Oz. Oh well!

Brigette Oct 16th 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks so much for the information. I'm sure I won't have that much to ship..but my older sister is now considering moving with me and she has a house etc. Here is the link to the site provided in this thread:

http://www.upakweship.com/index.php

Shazban Oct 17th 2011 10:12 pm

Sorry guys, walked away for a bit. Hoping I can figure out how to post a pic. The daughter was rifling thru it today looking for her wii game console so everything is pulled out of order. Upakweship will also ship individual boxes for much cheaper than I paid. the size is 48" x 43" x 42"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/morganstreet/6255557336/