Reload this Page >

Extending tourist visas and taking pets to the USA

Extending tourist visas and taking pets to the USA

Old May 17th 2011, 8:31 am
Just Joined

kegan5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Extending tourist visas and taking pets to the USA

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes...but if you're changing your plan to travel March - May, you'll be using the VWP and won't need to mention your travel dates to anyone at a visa interview.

Rene
Ah yeah I understand that

Originally Posted by rpjs
Towards the end of last year we looked at using the QM2 for our move to the US to spare our cat (and my wife, who hates flying) from having to fly, but as well as the cost we found out that the animal kennels were booked out for over a year in advance. Have you checked if they have availability?
You have a good point, we haven't checked availability and given that there are only 12 kennels available on each ship. Mind you even if we have to plan for a Christmas trip a year or two ahead, this information has proven to be very useful anyway

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Describing the Queen Mary 2 as a ferry is like describing Guernica as some scribbles.
Oops

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but it's not correct. Your pets will be in the ship's kennels for the entire voyage...they will not be allowed to run around the deck. You are allowed to visit your dog but that's about it. They will not be allowed to be in contact with any other animal.

You must have a UK Pet's Passport before you leave the UK or your dog will have to go into quarantine for 6 months when you return. There is no getting around DEFRA's rules.

As others have pointed out your biggest problem is going to be with US Immigration...bringing your pet thousands of miles is going to look like intent to stay. Maybe the people you know that have done this are the ones whose dogs are running around the decks of ferries all day returning to the UK.
The information regarding the QM2 itself is from people who have travelled with pets on board in both directions. They have an area on a particular deck which is enclosed but allows the dogs to run around on deck (it isn't accessible to other passengers other than the pet owners and kennel master and I assume some staff).

People have mentioned that in most cases the dogs will run around all day together unless there is a specific reason not to.

We have the UK pet passport.

The information re travelling with pets is here:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...icted.xml#Pets

It says the dog must be free of disease communicable to humans and that sometimes a health certificate is required at point of entry into the United States.

A certificate showing the dog has been vaccinated against rabies more than 30 days before arrival into the United States... since he has his UK passport I would think this proves this ? Since the rabies vaccination + 6 month wait is what happens through the UK Pet Passport system.

As far as I see here: http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html
Dogs are only quarantined if the correct procedures are not taken.

I have sent an email to them though for further information

Originally Posted by Bob
Also you don't say where you plan to go in the US, each state has different requirements and would travel insurance cover any liability if the dog bit someone, or got hurt itself?
Thanks, I knew about each State having different requirements but hadn't thought about the Insurance at this point... thanks for that