Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Extending tourist visas and taking pets to the USA

Extending tourist visas and taking pets to the USA

Old May 16th 2011, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

kegan5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending tourist visas and taking pets to the USA

Myself and mum are considering spending time travelling the USA over Christmas and beyond (with my dog), we were hoping for a 2-3 month trip.

However there seems to be no transatlantic ships (back to the UK) available until May which would mean 5 months in the USA.

The time frame isn't so much of a problem for us, however I'm assuming the Visa is, as it's only 3 months for a tourist visa I believe?

I have seen guides on extending tourist visas online but they all seem to imply that the extension is done after arrival to the USA.

Has anyone else come across this problem? How can we overcome it ? Is it possible to apply for a visa to cover the duration of our stay before leaving the UK ?

Are there any other solutions to bringing my dog home within the 3 months, i.e. other ferry companies? or other routes we would be allowed to take perhaps into other areas of Europe ?

I understand we could fly with him as cargo but we don't want to take this option.

We are British Citizens.

Many thanks for any help in advance

Last edited by kegan5; May 16th 2011 at 4:39 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending tourist visas and taking pets to the USA

Originally Posted by kegan5
Myself and mum are considering spending time travelling the USA over Christmas and beyond (with my dog), we were hoping for a 2-3 month trip.

However there seems to be no transatlantic ships (back to the UK) available until May which would mean 5 months in the USA.

The time frame isn't so much of a problem for us, however I'm assuming the Visa is, as it's only 3 months for a tourist visa I believe?

I have seen guides on extending tourist visas online but they all seem to imply that the extension is done after arrival to the USA.

Has anyone else come across this problem? How can we overcome it ? Is it possible to apply for a visa to cover the duration of our stay before leaving the UK ?

Are there any other solutions to bringing my dog home within the 3 months, i.e. other ferry companies? or other routes we would be allowed to take perhaps into other areas of Europe ?

I understand we could fly with him as cargo but we don't want to take this option.

We are British Citizens.

Many thanks for any help in advance
If you and your mom are eligible to travel with the VWP, this allows you 90 days in the USA. The VWP visit cannot be extended, you MUST return before 90 days is up.

The other option is a B-2 visitor visa, which normally allows you 6 months in the USA. However, if you are eligible to travel on the VWP, it's difficult to get a B-2 visa. Perhaps you have a chance if you explain why you need more time, and bring proof that there are no return ships at the time you need to return to the UK. The B-2 visa CAN be extended once inside the USA, but then again if you're successful in getting it, and given a 6-month stay, you won't need to extend it.

Or, one alternative is to change your travel dates so that you leave the UK in March, thus allowing you to return by ship in May.

I am not sure how having the dog along might affect things...most people don't travel that long a distance with a pet unless they are planning a more permanent move.

Rene
Old May 16th 2011, 5:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any other solutions to bringing my dog home
Be kind and leave your pet at home. To travel to the US and then be allowed back into the UK without being quarantined, you would need to get the dog enrolled in the Pet Passport program with the attendant shots and tests, and time is already short for that if you plan to be in the US at Christmas.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Yoy will probably be denied entry bringing the dog ... they will suspect immigrant intent...

There was a case on TV where they filmed a women who brought her cat on vacation with her ... she was denied and sent back ..
Old May 16th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The other option is a B-2 visitor visa...

Or, one alternative is to change your travel dates so that you leave the UK in March, thus allowing you to return by ship in May.

I am not sure how having the dog along might affect things...most people don't travel that long a distance with a pet unless they are planning a more permanent move.
Rene
Thanks for the advice, we may look into the B-2 visa option... I'll also mention leaving in the New Year instead, although we were really looking for an extended Christmas trip .

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Be kind and leave your pet at home. To travel to the US and then be allowed back into the UK without being quarantined, you would need to get the dog enrolled in the Pet Passport program with the attendant shots and tests, and time is already short for that if you plan to be in the US at Christmas.
As far as I've researched, taking a pet in and out of the US to UK is no harder than taking him into Europe (we travel a lot with him) so he's pretty good at it. He has his Pet Passport so that part isn't a problem and the reviews of the kennels on the ship are fantastic... fresh chicken for the dogs, they run around all day on deck and we as owners can spend as much time as we want with them so on that side of things I'm not worried.

Originally Posted by Ray
Yoy will probably be denied entry bringing the dog ... they will suspect immigrant intent...

There was a case on TV where they filmed a women who brought her cat on vacation with her ... she was denied and sent back ..

I've heard of plenty of people who go on extended holidays with their pets, I understand the border control would ask questions but since we have every intention of returning to the UK I can't see it being a problem, plus we would have things we needed to return for plus a return ferry booked .

As for leaving the dog at home, we will of course keep this option open too but to go away for 2-3 months is a long time and extremely expensive... so for now we'll continue to keep our options open to see if we can bring him with us on this trip.

Many thanks for all your replies so far
Old May 16th 2011, 7:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, we may look into the B-2 visa option... I'll also mention leaving in the New Year instead, although we were really looking for an extended Christmas trip .
Not sure what you mean by "I'll also mention leaving in the New Year". If you apply for a B-2, you should bring an itinerary of your travel plans to your interview. So you'll be showing the ConOff your travel plans already.

Keep in mind that if you apply for a B-2 and it gets denied, you have to claim that denial on your next ESTA (or if you're not doing ESTA because you're crossing by land, then you might have to explain it to the POE agent).

Rene
Old May 16th 2011, 7:25 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of plenty of people who go on extended holidays with their pets, I understand the border control would ask questions but since we have every intention of returning to the UK I can't see it being a problem, plus we would have things we needed to return for plus a return ferry booked .
You're coming on a ferry? I didn't know there were transatlantic ferries...
Old May 16th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not sure what you mean by "I'll also mention leaving in the New Year". If you apply for a B-2, you should bring an itinerary of your travel plans to your interview. So you'll be showing the ConOff your travel plans already.

Keep in mind that if you apply for a B-2 and it gets denied, you have to claim that denial on your next ESTA (or if you're not doing ESTA because you're crossing by land, then you might have to explain it to the POE agent).

Rene
I just meant to travel later on in 2012 i.e. March - May
Thanks for that info too

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
You're coming on a ferry? I didn't know there were transatlantic ferries...
Yeah Cunard go from Southampton to New York, the Queen Mary 2 allows pets on board
Old May 16th 2011, 8:25 pm

Yes...but if you're changing your plan to travel March - May, you'll be using the VWP and won't need to mention your travel dates to anyone at a visa interview.

Rene
Old May 16th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info too

Yeah Cunard go from Southampton to New York, the Queen Mary 2 allows pets on board
Towards the end of last year we looked at using the QM2 for our move to the US to spare our cat (and my wife, who hates flying) from having to fly, but as well as the cost we found out that the animal kennels were booked out for over a year in advance. Have you checked if they have availability?
Old May 16th 2011, 9:31 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info too

Describing the Queen Mary 2 as a ferry is like describing Guernica as some scribbles.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I am not crossing the atlantic on the woolwich ferry

Old May 16th 2011, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

pigg10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
I am not crossing the atlantic on the woolwich ferry

http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/..._400/H4401.jpg
So funny
Old May 17th 2011, 1:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I've researched, taking a pet in and out of the US to UK is no harder than taking him into Europe (we travel a lot with him) so he's pretty good at it. He has his Pet Passport so that part isn't a problem and the reviews of the kennels on the ship are fantastic... fresh chicken for the dogs, they run around all day on deck and we as owners can spend as much time as we want with them so on that side of things I'm not worried.

As for leaving the dog at home, we will of course keep this option open too but to go away for 2-3 months is a long time and extremely expensive... so for now we'll continue to keep our options open to see if we can bring him with us on this trip.

Many thanks for all your replies so far

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but it's not correct. The only way you can take an animal into the UK using the Pet's Passport is by using a DEFRA designated carrier on a DEFRA designated route. The QM2 is the only way of transporting your pet this way via sea. BTW the QM2 is not a ferry. Your pets will be in the ship's kennels for the entire voyage...they will not be allowed to run around the deck. You are allowed to visit your dog but that's about it. They will not be allowed to be in contact with any other animal.

You must have a UK Pet's Passport before you leave the UK or your dog will have to go into quarantine for 6 months when you return. There is no getting around DEFRA's rules.

As others have pointed out your biggest problem is going to be with US Immigration...bringing your pet thousands of miles is going to look like intent to stay. Maybe the people you know that have done this are the ones whose dogs are running around the decks of ferries all day returning to the UK.
Old May 17th 2011, 1:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Leave the dog at home...much cheaper than getting bounced at POE because the officer thinks you've got immigrant intent, and it is there job to not let people in, not to be nice to folks.

Also you don't say where you plan to go in the US, each state has different requirements and would travel insurance cover any liability if the dog bit someone, or got hurt itself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.