Reload this Page >

Extending holiday in USA past 90 days

Extending holiday in USA past 90 days

Old Aug 1st 2013, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Lit Up is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extending holiday in USA past 90 days

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Why not go home, save up some money and return next year after ensuring your 90 days would allow you the go to the burning man festival, it's on every year
Why? Because ideally, that's not what I would like to do. Dur.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 9:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lit Up
No, but it's the sensible thing, if you ever want to visit the USA again wiyjout having to get a visa with all the costs and rigmarole that involves.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You CAN stay another two weeks, but you will be staying past your allotted 90 days, and then you can NEVER use the VWP again, ever. If it's that important to you to go to the festival, and you don't mind never using the VWP again, then go for it.

The only other alternative, if you want to keep using the VWP in the future, is to leave before your 90 days is up (as others have said, you've miscounted the days already), go further away then Canada/Mexico, and then do another VWP trip in the future. How long you stay outside the USA is up to you.

Here are the details regarding VWP travel: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...l#travelertype

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, ideally I'd be married to George Clooney and living on a tropical island. Aint gonna happen though.

If you want the freedom to travel more than 90 days without a visa, then the US isn't the place to do it - you can in plenty of others though.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to understand that there is no legally realistic way you can do what you would like to do. The law of the USA doesn't care about what you want - you're a foreigner and you basically don't matter. That's the harsh truth.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Lit Up is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
You really need to understand that there is no legally realistic way you can do what you would like to do. The law of the USA doesn't care about what you want - you're a foreigner and you basically don't matter. That's the harsh truth.
You REALLY need to understand that I was just responding to his question of why I didn't want to go home. The answer is obvious: "it's not what I would like to do". I understand the immigration rules, I have no intention of breaking them.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

You REALLY need to understand that I was just responding to his question of why I didn't want to go home. The answer is obvious: "it's not what I would like to do". I understand the immigration rules, I have no intention of breaking them.
You obviously don't understand the immigration rules. Because if you did, you'd never have asked a question about extending a VWP visit in the first place. Lucky for you that there's plenty of people here who do understand them and can put you straight.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I only really want to stay another fortnight so that I can go to Burning Man festival.
Do you have tickets? Burning Man sells out early. This may all be for naught.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl
I got in without a ticket back in 2002. The plastic fences they use is no match for a Land Rover going 45 mph across Black Rock Desert in the middle of the night. And I wasn't even planning to go to the festival, I thought I was heading for my buddies' campfire. But I digress.

Seems like OP now has a basic understanding of what can and can't be done under the VWP. If it was me, I would leave before the 90 days are up, save up some money and buy tickets for next years festival early - then come back on the VWP next year for the festival. Problem solved.

Last edited by discoviking; Aug 2nd 2013 at 6:08 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:09 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As Sir Eccles says, it is recommended that you spend as much time out of the USA, and not in Canada or Mexico, you can try it with less, but you greatly risk being denied entry, and once you have been denied entry you can NEVER use the VWP again and you would be sent straight back to the UK as immigration would suspect you might be wanting something more than a holiday visit. If you were sent straight back, then you couldn't apply for an ESTA for at least 6 months as you would almost certainly be denied.
If he sent straight back then the ESTA is no longer relevant because he can never use the VWP again
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl
Going in the desert in August

After 25 years in and out of AZ ... it seems a bit extreme!

I hope he - the OP - knows something of the desert.

Also, Note to the OP:

Please read the threads of people that thought they would never come back and so they did not care about breaking the rules and all those treads of "free spirits" that run into immigration problems. This is not the world of "Dharma and Greg" you know!

KK
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jxv73
There isn't a "just one fortngiht" exception, unfortunately. Entering on the VWP is a trade-off: you don't need a visa, but you can't stay past 90 days...
Well you can stay.

Just means you are breaching the terms of the VWP and can no longer use it in the future.

Get hit by a bus and end up in a coma, kind of incident also allows an extension of stay... But a bit extreme and not really recommended.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, how will immigration know that he overstayed the 90 days?
There is no person checking his exit date, there will be no stamp saying when he arrived in the UK. Can anyone enlighten me? I know you are meant to surrender some form or another, but I recall in my younger days forgetting to surrender the I-94 and just posting it to some place on a later date.

Apparently the new immigration law has a provision for checking wehn people leave, but that is not law yet.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 2:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Out of curiosity, how will immigration know that he overstayed the 90 days?
1) Flight manifests; and 2) Swiping your passport at the airport kiosk to ensure you're okay to travel internationally before you get on the plane! Did you think that stuff was just for the benefit of the airlines?

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.