Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expressions of Sympathy for London Bombs?

Expressions of Sympathy for London Bombs?

Old Jul 11th 2005, 6:42 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expressions of Sympathy for London Bombs?

Originally Posted by Duncs
I recall being in Europe at the time of 9/11 and everywhere you went if people saw Americans they would stop them and express sympathy. There was seemingly a huge collective outpouring of sympathy towards our American cousins for the terrible events visited on New York.

Now following the bombs in London I had anticipated a similar response from here but aside from reports from the UK Consulate that they have had some phone calls of sympathy I haven’t seen a lot of evidence of it. Its probably just me, or maybe Boston still hates the lobster backs , but I wondered if anyone else has felt a wave of sympathy coming from Americans and directed at any of us Ex-pat Brits.

Duncs, I doubt greatly that Boston has the highest regards for the British, though one wouldn't think that would matter much in this case. Human caring and sympathy should not recognize any borders, but we all know that is a fallacy.

I know what I am about to say will not be popular, though it is true. One must look at the scale of the two events- The horrible attacks in London killed 50 people, perhaps as many as 100 from what I have read.
The WTC attacks killed just shy of 3000 people, all during direct worldwide news simulcast, live from NYC, and it's effect and memory will be impossible to erase from anyone's recollection as long as we live. Especially when you factor in the fact that we had been 'free' of terror domestically (other than Okla City), and the tremendous black eye we got that day.

I am not trying to excuse my countrymen for a perceived lack of caring- though I doubt that more than 60% of adults have even heard the news, and of those, 25% don't even know where London is. You well know that your countrymen are much more informed than mine (I say with shame), my only point is the scale of events is such that the comparison of the two is unfair.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
Duncs, I doubt greatly that Boston has the highest regards for the British, though one wouldn't think that would matter much in this case. Human caring and sympathy should not recognize any borders, but we all know that is a fallacy.

I know what I am about to say will not be popular, though it is true. One must look at the scale of the two events- The horrible attacks in London killed 50 people, perhaps as many as 100 from what I have read.
The WTC attacks killed just shy of 3000 people, all during direct worldwide news simulcast, live from NYC, and it's effect and memory will be impossible to erase from anyone's recollection as long as we live. Especially when you factor in the fact that we had been 'free' of terror domestically (other than Okla City), and the tremendous black eye we got that day.

I am not trying to excuse my countrymen for a perceived lack of caring- though I doubt that more than 60% of adults have even heard the news, and of those, 25% don't even know where London is. You well know that your countrymen are much more informed than mine (I say with shame), my only point is the scale of events is such that the comparison of the two is unfair.

When speaking of scale, ironporer, ought we not to take into account the size of Britain compared to the size of the USA? I don't know the exact measure, but at a guess I'd say that Britain is similar to one large state or 2 smaller ones. And in any case, counting heads of the dead is irrelevant.
The death of one is too many.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 7:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
When speaking of scale, ironporer, ought we not to take into account the size of Britain compared to the size of the USA? I don't know the exact measure, but at a guess I'd say that Britain is similar to one large state or 2 smaller ones. And in any case, counting heads of the dead is irrelevant.
You're right, one death is too many.

I think we've become numb to the terror-related deaths, be it the attacks in Madrid, or the casualties of the war in Iraq (nooo, Iraq didn't have a role in 9/11 but so many people here have been persuaded that they did). I probably have more instinctive sympathy for the British attack victims than the ones in Spain simply because I've been to London and I know people there. It's a more personal thing. I think the more someone feels like they are a "citizen of the world" who doesn't want to see more restriction and xenophobia, the more likely they are to express sympathy and offer support.

All I can say is that we should go on living but remain vigilant. An English friend and I saw an unattended bag on the Paris Metro train last summer -- we immediately departed the cabin at the next stop, and tried to get the French to do so -- instead they began rummaging through the bag (our fellow passengers, not authorities!). We tried telling the station guard about it -- they didn't care.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 7:48 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Of course you are correct- more than the number of the dead and injured, I had hoped to point out the scale of live TV coverage...watching those hours till the towers collapsed, then hours and hours afterwards.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Of course you are correct- more than the number of the dead and injured, I had hoped to point out the scale of live TV coverage...watching those hours till the towers collapsed, then hours and hours afterwards.

I see what you mean - and I agree.

You also said:

"I am not trying to excuse my countrymen for a perceived lack of caring- though I doubt that more than 60% of adults have even heard the news, and of those, 25% don't even know where London is. You well know that your countrymen are much more informed than mine (I say with shame), my only point is the scale of events is such that the comparison of the two is unfair."

That is scary!! And it strikes a chord with me today because I am having an e-mail tussle with the editor of our local daily newspaper about just this point, and about the tone of their reporting (if one could call it that) of the London bombings. They have displayed not a hint of compassion for the victims. I've watched carefully until Sunday's edition when I thought maybe a church leader might have a kind word to say. Nothing!.

My first complaint has brought forth a stock letter with an added sentence vaguely relevant to my complaint. I have retaliated and await further news

Old Jul 11th 2005, 8:16 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I've had quite a lot of friends and co-workers ask me if my friends and family are okay. People have been extremely nice about it.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pigtails
I've had quite a lot of friends and co-workers ask me if my friends and family are okay. People have been extremely nice about it.
My neighbour did just now.

I was listening to the coverage on the ceremonies marking the 10th anniversary of the massacre of Bosnian Muslims in Srebrenica.

I doubt that will make much news here.

It must do with relevance, after all probably the same number died in the UK in road accidents that day, or at least over a couple of days, but no exceptional fuss there and they are just as dead, there familys are just as distraught.

I think the maths works out at circa 2,000 die a day in the UK, 5 times that many in the US, so if you want to be really callous none of these numbers are that significant in the bigger picture.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
My neighbour did just now.

I was listening to the coverage on the ceremonies marking the 10th anniversary of the massacre of Bosnian Muslims in Srebrenica.

I doubt that will make much news here.

It must do with relevance, after all probably the same number died in the UK in road accidents that day, or at least over a couple of days, but no exceptional fuss there and they are just as dead, there familys are just as distraught.

I think the maths works out at circa 2,000 die a day in the UK, 5 times that many in the US, so if you want to be really callous none of these numbers are that significant in the bigger picture.

Road accident victims are just as dead, for sure. Accidents happen.
Shit happens. Don't let us ever get to the point where we say
"Terrorism happens" and not feel horror about it
Old Jul 11th 2005, 10:27 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've been living in and around Boston for 18 months now and found that to be far from the case. I've travelled all over the US and think that Bostoners are just about the friendliest people I've met. They can't drive for shit but they're nice as hell!
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I've been living in and around Boston for 18 months now and found that to be far from the case. I've travelled all over the US and think that Bostoners are just about the friendliest people I've met. They can't drive for shit but they're nice as hell!
Well if you're Irish, Boston's a natural.

I liked it there - didn't find anything unfriendly
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well if you're Irish, Boston's a natural.
I liked it there - didn't find anything unfriendly
Apparently Boston is the place to be ..you can arrive with no visa
and be a citizen in 18 months ...
http://pub34.bravenet.com/forum/2868829928/show/583998
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray

LOL!
It amazes me why so many are "busting a gut" to get here.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:58 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Arsecakes. If only someone had shown me that site before I bothered with the whole K1 bollocks.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sibsie
Arsecakes. If only someone had shown me that site before I bothered with the whole K1 bollocks.
In case anybody was wondering the details, this may help:

Hey Ryan

Go for it if you want to, but be careful of the sharks who will pay you crap. Go to somewhere like Boston and ask around, there are many Irish people who are returning home who will sell you for about $500 their ID, and you can have all the benefits that an american citizen can have.

If you have money to spend then hey get in contact I can tell you some loopholes.

Perhaps somebody should mention that USCIS monitor these Boards and to expect a knock on the door sometime soon.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:39 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Americans are sort of sympathetic but then the next minute they've forgotten all about it and I still feel really emotional about it. Their news coverage is really annoying me. One minute it's "there was a bomb attack in London today..." and then the next minute it's "well how does this affect Americans?". Who bloody cares? Just for once this is not about Americans! They keep showing pictures of 9/11 at every opportunity and it's really grating on me. They always have to be me me me. Thank god BBC America decided to switch to live BBC London coverage all day so I got proper unbiased news.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.