Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expressions of Sympathy for London Bombs?

Expressions of Sympathy for London Bombs?

Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expressions of Sympathy for London Bombs?

Not a soul and I live on a military base!!! Even a few idiots my husband has to work with, "said it was because we won the olympic bid" I mean please for F**k sake.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly have had some sympathy from my in laws and people at work, had phone calls, emails and people come over to speak to me about it.

Several times I have been asked by people over here, how I am doing ? if all is okay? I have found several Americans give me/Britain some level of support and sympathy they see it as we are in it together.

Originally Posted by Duncs
I recall being in Europe at the time of 9/11 and everywhere you went if people saw Americans they would stop them and express sympathy. There was seemingly a huge collective outpouring of sympathy towards our American cousins for the terrible events visited on New York.

Now following the bombs in London I had anticipated a similar response from here but aside from reports from the UK Consulate that they have had some phone calls of sympathy I haven’t seen a lot of evidence of it. Its probably just me, or maybe Boston still hates the lobster backs , but I wondered if anyone else has felt a wave of sympathy coming from Americans and directed at any of us Ex-pat Brits.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:36 pm
Home Sick for Blighty

Roadhog is an unknown quantity at this point

As posted before on another forum, no flags at half mast in Utah. Of the many people I deal with in a day, so far only 3 people have asked about family and friends. One tried to talk about the Crusades, and you can guess I told him where to go!

One neighbour did call, but that is it. Even in a highly religious community of Utah I would have thought there would have been more support and concern. Nope! Makes you think!
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:40 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard a few yanks on the local talk shows on the radio express sympathy but thats about it. All my neighbors know I'm a brit, I have a union jack and ST.Georges cross on my car but know one has said anything.

Come to think of it not one of my in-laws has asked me anything, I'm sure most of them are too self centered to even care.

Really though, us Brits don't need all the glamour do we! like someone else said the other day, we don't make a song or a dance about stuff like this, actually makes me quite proud to be a Brit.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 8:15 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
I've heard a few yanks on the local talk shows on the radio express sympathy but thats about it. All my neighbors know I'm a brit, I have a union jack and ST.Georges cross on my car but know one has said anything.

Come to think of it not one of my in-laws has asked me anything, I'm sure most of them are too self centered to even care.

Really though, us Brits don't need all the glamour do we! like someone else said the other day, we don't make a song or a dance about stuff like this, actually makes me quite proud to be a Brit.
I think you hit the nail on the head, the Brits just carry on. On CBC the other night someone commented on how calm people were as they came off the train, they thought they would be panicking. I guess it's the way we are all raised, in times of crisis we knuckle done, do what we have to then pick up the pieces and start over. I doubt many Brits will be signed up for therapy to get them over this.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

What did Brits - in Britain, not expats in the US - do after the Oklahoma City bombing? Did we fly the flags at half mast?

I had a couple of people call me, and a few people in the office I was at conveyed their sympathies, but as soon as I had said "These things happen in war" and went about my job the atmosphere went back to normal.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 8:48 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few have talked to me about it. It's been on the minds of a lot of people around here. Maybe it's because this area has a very large foreign-born population. To be honest, it does feel a little strange to be on the receiving end of that kind of attention.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

We cancelled training Thursday night because of the bombing, most of the parents expressed sympathy & asked if the family were OK.

I even had someone complaining to me in an e mail over something I had posted earlier in the week ( yeah I know, imagine that ! ) and she ended with.....That aside I was awfully sorry about the terrorist bombings in London...

I get the feeling most Americans feel that we now know what a terrorist bombing feels like, they are ignorant of all the ira bombings.

Last edited by doctor scrumpy; Jul 9th 2005 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Duncs
..... but I wondered if anyone else has felt a wave of sympathy coming from Americans and directed at any of us Ex-pat Brits.
Yes neighbours and friends have been very kind.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HappyHammer
Yes neighbours and friends have been very kind.
me too to be honest.
a lot of people asked me if my folks back home lived anywhere near London......

which is nice to even consider it.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
me too to be honest.
a lot of people asked me if my folks back home lived anywhere near London......

which is nice to even consider it.
here too, neighbours etc, someone on the freeway yesterday noticed an England sticker on the back of my hubbys car and when the traffic stopped as it does on the freeways here, he wound down his window and said he was really sorry to hear about what had happened..
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodsey
here too, neighbours etc, someone on the freeway yesterday noticed an England sticker on the back of my hubbys car and when the traffic stopped as it does on the freeways here, he wound down his window and said he was really sorry to hear about what had happened..

I actually thought he was gonna "pop a cap in my ass" as they say round here

But back on topic at least 20 people came in my office to express sympathy and I had about 10 voice mails asking if I had family in London.. everyone really seems concerned here.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:53 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

The man in Whole Foods asked me 'if everyone at home is ok' which I thought was nice.
He then said he was thinking about getting a transfer to the UK version of Whole foods but wasn't so sure now........
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bored-silly
The man in Whole Foods asked me 'if everyone at home is ok' which I thought was nice.
do you not think he may have been refferring to the ghetto you live in now ?
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
do you not think he may have been refferring to the ghetto you live in now ?
live in Birmingham Bored-silly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.