Reload this Page >

Exporting a Scooter to New York

Exporting a Scooter to New York

Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:26 am
Just Joined

grifforama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exporting a Scooter to New York

Hi,

My wife and I are relocating to New York in September, and I would love to know if anyone on this forum has exported a scooter to the States ?
I have a Vespa LX50 which I would love to bring over.
I understand it doies comply with US emissions standards, but I am eager to know if anyone else has done it ?

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting a Scooter to New York

Just my opinion, but it would be a waste of time and money.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by grifforama
Hi,

My wife and I are relocating to New York in September, and I would love to know if anyone on this forum has exported a scooter to the States ?
I understand it doies comply with US emissions standards, but I am eager to know if anyone else has done it ?

Thanks
I am in the process of shipping over a motorcycle and the bullshit you have to go through is unbelievable. You have to have a certification that the oil and fuel were thoroughly drained and then the thing has to be packed by a certified packing company (with a certification of packing) because of the possibility of fumes and vapours (even though they've been drained and cleaned). It is then considered "hazardous freight" and that involves even more paperwork bullshit.
To be honest, apart from the fact you'll get laughed off the streets by any self respecting biker you can also buy them in the US for less money than you can in the UK, so whats the point? If you get here and still want one (and actually have the nerve to ride it) then buy one here.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grifforama
Hi,

Thanks
Guess it would depend where in New York you are planning on moving to. I would not recommend taking a scooter on any highway, parkway or thruway in or around New York City proper and the outlying 'burbs. You wouldn't last the month out without being totalled. It will be good for local street use in my honest opinion. You might always want to check out the criteria for a motorcycle license in New York State. Since the UK license is not transferable you will have to take a separate written and driving test for the scooter apart from a written and driving test for a regular driver's license.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:42 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

totally agree with the others. Even local streets it isn't worth bothering with because NY is so populated it doesn't take long before you hit a busy road and you do not see these bike around so cars and trucks won't really know what to make of it. Unless you are going to be living in Upstate NY in the sticks then it isn't worth it. NYC and surrounding areas have pretty good public transport.

Another point actually is if you are moving to NYC, where would you house it? Garage fees are very expensive and I'm sure a local garage would enjoy charging you a small fortune for your little runaround. And if you lived in an apartment on the 5th or 10th floor I bet there would be fire regulations on having it in your apartment.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 12:33 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

They have a point.
I was in Upstate NY (in the sticks) and with a Vespa up there you are more likely to get it shot from under you by some drunken longilander with orange cammo's on.

.....of course, if you are sporting a parka with large target on the back......weeell......!!
Old Jul 1st 2006, 2:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I am in the process of shipping over a motorcycle and the bullshit you have to go through is unbelievable. You have to have a certification that the oil and fuel were thoroughly drained and then the thing has to be packed by a certified packing company (with a certification of packing) because of the possibility of fumes and vapours (even though they've been drained and cleaned). It is then considered "hazardous freight" and that involves even more paperwork bullshit.
To be honest, apart from the fact you'll get laughed off the streets by any self respecting biker you can also buy them in the US for less money than you can in the UK, so whats the point? If you get here and still want one (and actually have the nerve to ride it) then buy one here.
Just being nosy...but what bike are you shipping over. (Big biker fan here!)
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Just being nosy...but what bike are you shipping over. (Big biker fan here!)
His bantam ..
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
His bantam ..
Cool
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Cool
Now I'm worried about you .........
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Now I'm worried about you .........

I know I'm pathetic. Even worse, I remember BSA Bantams which makes me old and pathetic as well
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:44 am
Ray

I know I'm pathetic. Even worse, I remember BSA Bantams which makes me old and pathetic as well
Only if you can remember the post office using them for telegrams boys
to use....
Here are some better ones
http://www.brylliant.com/Photos_all_years.htm
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Only if you can remember the post office using them for telegrams boys
to use....
Here are some better ones
http://www.brylliant.com/Photos_all_years.htm
Not a Harley girl. Our latest addition is a Triumph.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; Jul 1st 2006 at 3:57 am.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 3:59 am
Account Closed

www.moto-net.com/images/triumph_rocket_pro.jpg

We are adding all the bells and whistles and soon it will be comfortable enough for a long road trip. Florida here we come, maybe
Old Jul 1st 2006, 4:01 am
Ray

Not a Harley girl. Our latest addition is a Triumph.
Its bleedin in Italian ........... They are not Triumphs
my 66 Tiger 100SS was a Triumph.......

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20...0SS%201964.htm

Last edited by Ray; Jul 1st 2006 at 4:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.