Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exploring "self employed" options..

Exploring "self employed" options..

Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:53 am
Just Joined

wb81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exploring "self employed" options..

..like many who join this forum I've been browsing and exploring options of "living the dream", but as we all know the reality for UK citizens wanting to move to the US is pretty much limited..

So our circumstances - my wife and I are both British citizens, my wife works for a company that is US owned and has offices in various locations in the US..

I work as an author - obviously not quite to JK Rowling standard - and the style of books I write (non fiction sports) are, with the best of hopes and intentions, never likely to generate the kind of cash to be able to "invest" like I have seen on some of the visas.

We have no savings, neither of us are "skilled" in the kind of terms I imagine are laid out in the visas, we have no children and no real ties, we rent in the UK...

What I would like to ask you learned souls, is what are our realistic chances of making the move to the US? Both short term and long term?

If my wife managed to secure a transfer with her company, would I be able to continue my work as an author as my only job or would I have to take up another job?

And what of an "alternative" route? I hear that Northern Ireland is not considered as part of the UK when applying for Green Cards; or, would it be easier to move to (for example) Canada and then consider our long term prospects of moving to the US?

It is something we would dearly want to do - lifestyle aside (which we believe would be better, but we acknowledge the requirement for working just as hard as "back home") many of our long term desires and dreams involve the US, and to be perfectly honest I'm an absolutely terrible flyer (Not sure what that has to do with much aside from the fact I only want to make that journey once again in my life!).

Is there a realistic, short or long term solution that would make our dreams achievable?

All advice appreciated.. I gather that some of these points may have been asked by other members but I've browsed and haven't found anything with our set of circumstances so thought it would be appropriate to start a new thread. Apologies if I've missed something.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exploring "self employed" options..

If you wife were transferred to the US with her company on an L1 then you would get a derivative L2 and would be able to work (whatever work you choose to do).

If either you or your wife are from NI then you can apply for the Diversity Visa which is another option, but obviously this is something of a long shot.

To be honest, from what you have written the first one is your best option.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

wb81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! The best chance then would be for my wife to get a transfer, just got to cross our fingers for that!! If it ever happened this place would be the first place I'd come back to
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wb81
Thanks! The best chance then would be for my wife to get a transfer, just got to cross our fingers for that!! If it ever happened this place would be the first place I'd come back to
You said neither of you are skilled...so I would imagine it will be very difficult for your wife to obtain a company transfer. Think about it...why would the company spend thousands to get her to the US if she has no skills to offer...especially as there are millions of unemployed Americans who can start work tomorrow at no cost?

If she did get a transfer I think you would find life very difficult here without any money behind you. Starting up in a new country is expensive...you will have no credit history. You will have to find huge deposits to put down on phones, rent, car, utilities etc. Also there is no NHS care here...even if your wife was lucky enough to get good health insurance with her job...deductibles, co-pays and meds could cost thousands per year.

You could take a look at our Canada forum...but without skills I think it will be an uphill journey. I have lived in the US for 17 years...we have a very good life here but IMO the UK wins hands down.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What does the wife do exactly? You don't have to say, but if it's not management or with niche company skills, it's not going to happen.

So what exactly is it about the dream do you imagine giving you a better life anyway?

As for the Canada route, it's no short cut to the US and the amount of time taken to get there, then Canadian citizenship to be able to use NAFTA to get a TN1 visa for the US, well you'd have to really want to live in Canada to make it worthwhile.

But it's possibly more manageable finding a visa for Canada or Australia if you fancy a change of scenery....though the rest of the EU would be easier and cheaper :/
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What dream? Seriously.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 2:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What dream? Seriously.
"Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day." A. Rose

Well if you will go and move to LA!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day." A. Rose

Well if you will go and move to LA!