Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expiring passport

Expiring passport

Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expiring passport

Hi. Happy New Year! I've just booked my flight to LHR from SFO for the Summer (leaving June, returning July). My passport expires in November. As i'm home (in the UK) for a month i was planning on renewing it then doing the 2 week fast track service. Am assuming that the UK will welcome me back with open arms but will the US side have any issues bearing in mind I'll have less than 6 months left on my passport?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:37 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expiring passport

No-one is going to check your passport on the way out...!
OK, not for immigration purposes at least.
Do you have a visa or green card to get back into US in July?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand.

I assume that you are talking about a UK passport.

If you renew your UK passport while you are in the UK then you will have a brand new UK passport valid for 10 years when you return to the US.

Whether the US cares about the expiration date of your foreign passport when you enter the US (or, indeed, whether it cares that you have a foreign passport at all) depends on what status you will have when you enter the US.

If you are a permanent resident then all that you really need is your green card.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
No-one is going to check your passport on the way out...!
OK, not for immigration purposes at least.
Do you have a visa or green card to get back into US in July?
Am currently on an L2 visa but hoping the GC will have come through by then. The lawyers think we should get it by Spring.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:01 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon View Post
Am currently on an L2 visa but hoping the GC will have come through by then. The lawyers think we should get it by Spring.
Good. Either way, the expiring UK pp is a non issue. Just keep the old one with you, if the visa is it and you don't have the GC

I think your concern relates to a rule about entering US with limited life on a passport - can't remember what that refers to though, but not this scenario.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
Good. Either way, the expiring UK pp is a non issue. Just keep the old one with you, if the visa is it and you don't have the GC

I think your concern relates to a rule about entering US with limited life on a passport - can't remember what that refers to though, but not this scenario.
Thank you for your help! And yes I was thinking about the rule about not being able to enter the US with less than 6 months on the passport. Let's hope I get my passport back in time for my return flight. Might fill in the renewal form online so that I can get it sent to my address in the UK in time for my arrival.