Reload this Page >

Expired UK Passport Renewal — C1 Form Confusion

Expired UK Passport Renewal — C1 Form Confusion

Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:23 am
Just Joined

L_armbruster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expired UK Passport Renewal — C1 Form Confusion

Hello,

I apologize in advance if I'm asking a question that already has been answered but I've tried in vain to find the information I'm seeking to no avail. Thanks so much for any assistance you are able to provide.

I hold a United Kingdom passport that was issued in May 1995 and expired in May 2005. I was born in Durban, South Africa in 1978 and believe I was able to obtain my UK passport through my mother who was born in Glasgow. I am not certain of this though as it seems I would have only been eligible had I been born after 1983. In addition, I hold US citizenship for which I applied at age 18 after holding a green card since 1989.

My UK passport is denoted as Type P. The code of issuing state is GBR. My nationality is noted as British Citizen.

I am attempting to renew my expired UK passport but am confused by what sections of form C1 I need to complete. Section 2 asks for my mother's British passport number, place and date of issue but I do not have access to this information. Is anyone able to provide some insight based on the information I have provided?

Again, so sorry if I am not providing the information necessary to help assist me with this matter. I'm the first to admit to being utterly confused by this process.

Thanks very much!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired UK Passport Renewal — C1 Form Confusion

If you were born in 1978 and got British citizenship through your mother, then you must have been registered as a British citizen with the Home Office sometime before age 18.

You were aged 17 when you applied for your ... do you not have this document? You must have been in the United States when you got your current passport, if you became a US citizen in 1989. Did you come to the United States on a South African passport?

If you don't have your citizenship certificate, you absolutely do need to get a copy.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...ralisation.htm

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 12th 2011 at 10:43 am.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your response. You have helped me to determine that the only section I will need to complete is section 1B and will not need to provide information about my mother. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of my citizenship certificate. I very much appreciate you sharing the link to request a copy. The only information I am not in possession of is the country of issue. I am wondering if perhaps this would be Scotland since that is where my mother was born. If you have any insight, that would be very helpful and if not, thanks again for the great help you have provided. It is much appreciated.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L_armbruster
The only information I am not in possession of is the country of issue. I am wondering if perhaps this would be Scotland since that is where my mother was born.
Can't you just ask your parents about it?

Ian
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately, that is not an option or I certainly would have taken that route. Appreciate the response.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The only information I am not in possession of is the country of issue. I am wondering if perhaps this would be Scotland since that is where my mother was born.
I'm fairly sure the certificate would have been issued by the Home Office in the United Kingdom. The other possibilities would be unlikely in this case:

- the Lieutenant Governor of a Crown Dependency (such as Jersey);
- the Governor of a British colony, territory or protectorate;
- the High Commissioner of an independent Commonwealth country, before 1983 (but South Africa wasn't Commonwealth in the period before 1983, so that's unlikely).
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, that is not an option...
Ah... sorry!

Ian