Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expired passport, need to travel to UK in 5 weeks!

Expired passport, need to travel to UK in 5 weeks!

Old Nov 11th 2013, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

SHarris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expired passport, need to travel to UK in 5 weeks!

I booked a trip home for Christmas thinking my passport was valid for another year. I've just pulled it out and found it expired in August this year. I know this was my fault, but what options do I have?

I believe renewal is going to take too long? Do I qualify for an emergency passport or does it have to actually be an emergency? I'm in Arizona, my nearest embassy is in LA, thats a long drive if they're going to tell me I can't do it.

I'm a permanent resident with a CR2 Green Card.

I'd call the embassy but it's veterans day so I'm looking for info before tomorrow when I can call.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 10:40 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired passport, need to travel to UK in 5 weeks!

Originally Posted by SHarris
I booked a trip home for Christmas thinking my passport was valid for another year. I've just pulled it out and found it expired in August this year. I know this was my fault, but what options do I have?

I believe renewal is going to take too long? Do I qualify for an emergency passport or does it have to actually be an emergency? I'm in Arizona, my nearest embassy is in LA, thats a long drive if they're going to tell me I can't do it.

I'm a permanent resident with a CR2 Green Card.

I'd call the embassy but it's veterans day so I'm looking for info before tomorrow when I can call.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!
Make an appointment at the nearest British Consulate for an emergency travel document. Alternatively, you could just rock up at LHR with your expired passport. The chief immigration officer would surely let you in. Then I would go get a same day passport (Peterborough does them iirc) from a prior appointment I had booked before leaving America.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Nov 11th 2013 at 11:43 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Make an appointment at the nearest British Conculate for an emergency travel document. Alternatively, you could just rock up at LHR with your expired passport. The chief immigration officer would surely let you in. Then I would go get a same day passport (Peterborough does them iirc) from a prior appointment I had booked before leaving America.
But surely American Airlines won't let me fly without a valid passport?

Do you know of any locations other than the Embassy in LA I can get an emergency travel document?

Thanks for the swift reply.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

But surely American Airlines won't let me fly without a valid passport?

Do you know of any locations other than the Embassy in LA I can get an emergency travel document?

Thanks for the swift reply.
Welcome to BE.

You should get an ETD...emergency travel document...as already stated. You will have to produce your airline ticket as proof of your journey. Take a look in the Moving Back to The UK Forum...as this has been discussed several times recently.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst it's likely, though not recommended, that UKBA will let you enter with a recently expired passport it is unlikely that the airline will let you board.

You can apply for an ETD in LA (other nearby options may include Houston and Denver) but if you get your renewal application off to Durham sharpish five weeks should be sufficient for your application to be processed and your new passport to be sent to you. Just ensure that your application is all present and correct paying especial attention to the photo guidelines.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies!

So just to confirm, I've searched around but found it hard to get a definitive answer, are there special requirements for an ETD aside from having the flight booked? Will they be happy to give me one or does it have to be a real emergency?

Thank you so much for the help, I've spent the past few hours panicking.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can apply for an ETD in LA (other nearby options may include Houston and Denver) but if you get your renewal application off to Durham sharpish five weeks should be sufficient for your application to be processed and your new passport to be sent to you. Just ensure that your application is all present and correct paying especial attention to the photo guidelines.
I'm just worried about if it doesn't turn up on time. It's a pretty big risk :/
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:47 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Just get the ETD. Then pick up a sane day passport when back in England. Still cheaper than paying for one in the US I'd guess.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies!

So just to confirm, I've searched around but found it hard to get a definitive answer, are there special requirements for an ETD aside from having the flight booked? Will they be happy to give me one or does it have to be a real emergency?

That used to be the case; now the policy to issue if the customer requests it.

It's not a big risk. Turnaround times are being reported at about two to three weeks currently by other BE posters with the official turnaround time being four weeks for a renewal.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...786998&page=22

It's your decision (and money) however.

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Just get the ETD. Then pick up a sane day passport when back in England. Still cheaper than paying for one in the US I'd guess.
An ETD nearly costs as much as an overseas passport application so that would work out a lot more expensive overall.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

I've just recently renewed both my kids UK passports and was amazed at how quick I got them back.

Sent old passports, application form and photos to Durham UK on October 21st via UPS worldwide, cost me about $70 and they got there in 2 days.
Received both old passports back on October 29th
Received eldest's new passport on Oct 30th
Received youngest's new passport on October 31st

Very impressed with the service.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

An emergency is in the eye of the beholder.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies!

A forum member who doesn't post on here very often anymore, discovered the day before their Christmas flight, last year, that her daughters passport was missing. She got an ETD on the day of the flight, in fact I believe they got it and drove straight to the airport, that's how tight it was
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is the ETD multi-journey? (ie, not just for return to the U.K.)?
If so, probably best to get an ETD for the journey to the U.K. and back, and then apply for a new passport in January.

Also - worth checking to ensure the green card isn't going to expire soon.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is the ETD multi-journey? (ie, not just for return to the U.K.)?
If so, probably best to get an ETD for the journey to the U.K. and back, and then apply for a new passport in January.

Also - worth checking to ensure the green card isn't going to expire soon.
What an emergency travel document does
An emergency travel document allows you to leave the country you’re in and travel to your destination via a maximum of 5 countries.

The emergency travel document can also cover a return journey if you’re resident in the country you’re applying from.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
Old Nov 16th 2013, 12:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just in case you come back to this thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815277

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.