Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Experiences in transporting your stuff to America

Wikiposts

Experiences in transporting your stuff to America

Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences in transporting your stuff to America

Originally Posted by nai_in_av
We used a company called Seven Seas last October, they provided all the packaging materials (boxes/tape/bubble wrap) etc and to send 7 big boxes cost us about 500 pounds. That was by sea and not air, but was door to door and probably took the 8 weeks they quoted.

Everything arrived safely apart from a bowl and a coffee mug. Would use them again if I had to.
Cheers for suggesting this. The prices are pretty reasonable for sea transport. Yes FedEx could be cheap since they have a fixed charge for a 25kg box...
Old Apr 15th 2006, 7:52 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Yes FedEx could be cheap since they have a fixed charge for a 25kg box...
That's progress for you. James, please let me know what it costs to send a 25kg box by FedEx from the UK to the USA. Cheers.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
That's progress for you. James, please let me know what it costs to send a 25kg box by FedEx from the UK to the USA. Cheers.
Just shy of £100, ex-VAT. They offer a fixed rate for 10kg and 25kg boxes. Only thing is they supply the box, so its mostly useful for books and things. The dimensions of the 25kg box are 51x33x43 cm.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:16 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Just shy of £100, ex-VAT. They offer a fixed rate for 10kg and 25kg boxes. Only thing is they supply the box, so its mostly useful for books and things. The dimensions of the 25kg box are 51x33x43 cm.
Not bad at all. Perhaps a tad too small to pack grandma. Your lupins or your 25kg FedEx box.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Not bad at all. Perhaps a tad too small to pack grandma. Your lupins or your 25kg FedEx box.
Oh I don't know. Lots of old ladies seem to shrink as they age. Just wait long enough and it will be quite cosy for her.

Whats on the menu? Poached salmon with a hollandaise sauce, asparagus, new potatoes and a 25Kg FedEx box
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:24 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Hello everyone ...
Please do keep us abreast of your Experiences in transporting your stuff to America, we are already fascinated at your exploits. Enthralled at your throw to the wind devil may care. Your panache, your James style. Your debonair autonomous self. The way you fawn over FedEx and 10/25kg boxes. The things this boy can do with alphabet spaghetti. The public must be informed. We adore you. Do please keep us up-to-date.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Please do keep us abreast of your Experiences in transporting your stuff to America, we are already fascinated at your exploits. Enthralled at your throw to the wind devil may care. Your panache, your James style. Your debonair autonomous self. The way you fawn over FedEx and 10/25kg boxes. The things this boy can do with alphabet spaghetti. The public must be informed. We adore you. Do please keep us up-to-date.
Well in two weeks' time I shall be a card-carrying expat and thus will frequent this website a tad more in search of like-minded people who understand proper humour like why a waitress asking an old man at breakfast as he sipped his tea "how's your water holding?" is funny (happend to me in Tucson, I started aughing but noone else did....nor did those Americans who I told later that day).

As for FedEx, I've decided not to use them. Any company that supposedly provided an overnight international service, yet has call centres which do not open on weekends or bank holidays, is just not up to the task. Even if they do provide nice little 25kg boxes at reasonable rates...
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:59 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Well in two weeks' time I shall be a card-carrying expat ...
Ru a communist?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ru a communist?
SSshhhhh I'm not in the US yet!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Erm...Tucson, Tucson?! :0 Seriously, yes I was there in December for an interview. I'm told it will be ever so slightly warmer in Tucson now compared to glorious Sunderland (oh how I will miss overcast days...) but things are getting even greyer here now that we've been relegated . I'll be working at the University of Arizona and I start next month. I didn't think they had English people in Tucson? Someone asked me if I was Australian...

Anyway I have a moving expenses budget but the visa application took a hefty chunk out of it, leaving me with only £1000 to ship some things over. Mostly books and what have you (need them for work anyway). I know I can buy most things over there cheaply but I'd like to make maximum use of the allowance. I just didn't think it would cost nearly $3000 to ship three boxes of things; I shudder to think what it would have cost were I moving furniture too!
Tucson around 85F at the moment,plenty of Brits around the Tucson area,good restaraunts and bars,golf courses and resorts.North and West side of Tucson the best areas,good luck,ASU rules!!!!!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:43 am
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I used UPS. Fedex were a complete pain in the arse when I tried to use them. UPS did a quick turnaround of 4 days door to door with no hassles. The only pain was having to type up what was exactly in each box and the weight, dimensions etc but it worked for me and was ded cheap too.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
I used UPS. Fedex were a complete pain in the arse when I tried to use them. UPS did a quick turnaround of 4 days door to door with no hassles. The only pain was having to type up what was exactly in each box and the weight, dimensions etc but it worked for me and was ded cheap too.
Thanks for all the advice and tips. I used to live in France and it was a damn sight easier moving stuff to there (fill up car, drive to Versailles) than the US...
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:52 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Thanks for all the advice and tips. I used to live in France and it was a damn sight easier moving stuff to there (fill up car, drive to Versailles) than the US...
Puke bucket ... somebody.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Puke bucket ... somebody.
hmm there's no rolling eye smiley on here..... Still at least I can without being asked to prove my age for the next few weeks
Old Apr 16th 2006, 3:09 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

hmm there's no rolling eye smiley on here..... Still at least I can without being asked to prove my age for the next few weeks
Have a good trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.