British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Experience of Memphis, Tn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/experience-memphis-tn-317786/)

ukemigrant Aug 3rd 2005 4:14 am

Experience of Memphis, Tn

My brother and his wife came to the US from the UK in the last three weeks and one of the things his wife wanted to do was go to Graceland as she's a big Elvis fan. The experience with Memphis (apart from Graceland) was a disaster. The place was like a construction zone, stank to high heaven of sewage, the service people were rude and tardy when asked for assistance, and the hotel pool has been having work done to it since April. They were supposed to be there for 3 days but cut it short to 2 days, and were glad to get back to Pittsburgh PA. What a shambles...

Anyone else been down there recently?

Bob Aug 3rd 2005 5:09 am

Re: Experience of Memphis, Tn

That sucks :(

Weren't they told about the hotel problems when they booked though?

BritGuyTN Aug 3rd 2005 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
My brother and his wife came to the US from the UK in the last three weeks and one of the things his wife wanted to do was go to Graceland as she's a big Elvis fan. The experience with Memphis (apart from Graceland) was a disaster. The place was like a construction zone, stank to high heaven of sewage, the service people were rude and tardy when asked for assistance, and the hotel pool has been having work done to it since April. They were supposed to be there for 3 days but cut it short to 2 days, and were glad to get back to Pittsburgh PA. What a shambles...

memphis is renowned as a shithole - sorry you had a bad experience

Tennesseans often wish Arkansas would take the dirty crime-ridden city back....

Fig Newton Aug 3rd 2005 11:44 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
memphis is renowned as a shithole - sorry you had a bad experience

Tennesseans often wish Arkansas would take the dirty crime-ridden city back....

Memphis is just fine if you know where to go. Every decent sized city has its bad areas.

vegas Aug 3rd 2005 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
Memphis is just fine if you know where to go. Every decent sized city has its bad areas.

Is there anything this guy isn't an expert on?

Fig Newton Aug 3rd 2005 11:56 am

Originally Posted by vegas
Is there anything this guy isn't an expert on?

I didn't realize I claimed expertness on anything thus far posted.

Nice to meet you too.

BritGuyTN Aug 3rd 2005 12:05 pm

every decent sized city DOES have its bad areas but memphis has a disproportionate amount and it has a lot of of issues that add to the 'shithole' factor.

detroit is also just fine if you know where to go, but unfortunately, like memphis, if you are not blessed with otherworldly wisdom on everything then you can come unstuck.

Fig Newton Aug 3rd 2005 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
every decent sized city DOES have its bad areas but memphis has a disproportionate amount and it has a lot of of issues that add to the 'shithole' factor.

detroit is also just fine if you know where to go, but unfortunately, like memphis, if you are not blessed with otherworldly wisdom on everything then you can come unstuck.

It's like New York City. Great town but if you don't know where to go or find yourself lost or off the beaten track you could end up either being pleasantly surprised or find yourself in a nightmare. It's all relative based on your experience and what you are used to.

dbj1000 Aug 3rd 2005 12:37 pm

It's like New York City. Great town but if you don't know where to go or find yourself lost or off the beaten track you could end up either being pleasantly surprised or find yourself in a nightmare. It's all relative based on your experience and what you are used to.

Absolutely! If you're come from a culture of getting mugged down an alleyway then it will most certainly come as a pleasant surprise to observe first-hand the cultural differences and see how it is done in America :)

(That's a joke, by the way, Fig, and if you read it carefully you'll see that it's not even one directed at America. Save your energy and don't bother with a tirade in response. Try humor first)

debbie#1 Aug 3rd 2005 1:29 pm

Never been there but see that you are from Pittsburgh, where abouts? I live near the airport and always looking to meet new people in the area.

Fig Newton Aug 3rd 2005 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Absolutely! If you're come from a culture of getting mugged down an alleyway then it will most certainly come as a pleasant surprise to observe first-hand the cultural differences and see how it is done in America :)

(That's a joke, by the way, Fig, and if you read it carefully you'll see that it's not even one directed at America. Save your energy and don't bother with a tirade in response. Try humor first)

Try losing the cynicism db. Trust me, you'll be much happier.

Lion in Winter Aug 3rd 2005 1:33 pm

Try losing the cynicism db. Trust me, you'll be much happier.

Not if he's a Brit he won't. He'd be miserable.

Fig Newton Aug 3rd 2005 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Not if he's a Brit he won't. He'd be miserable.

If you are an intelligent individual then you know better.

Shamandvel Aug 3rd 2005 3:08 pm

Hey UKemigrant I too have my abode in Pittsburgh!

Wherebouts are you? I'm in Shaler and origionally from London.

Fancy a pint sometime?

Lion in Winter Aug 3rd 2005 3:21 pm

If you are an intelligent individual then you know better.

So, when you were in England were you cynical, sarcastic, ironic, full of dark humour, take the piss and laugh at yourself and everything else so as to fit in with the natives? I do hope so.