Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Experience with Government Employment

Experience with Government Employment

Old Aug 11th 2005, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice
Default Experience with Government Employment

Hi,

I am living in the USA and wanted to ask if anyone had experience getting government jobs as a naturalized citizen of the US (having been formerly British).

Is this a headache...even possible?

I was thinking specifically about nasa which is a government agency.

Thanks.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 6:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience with Government Employment

formerly??

did you renounce then?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have the ability to spell and form sentences, perhaps you should join the USCIS, may help them out a little.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:00 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
formerly??

did you renounce then?
You do that to become a USC. The UK doesn't care and you can reclaim but; to whom do you owe your loyalty if push comes to shove.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
You do that to become a USC. The UK doesn't care and you can reclaim
utter bollocks.

to reclaim, you need to lose it in the first instance.

you don't lose it with taking the US oath.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

No, I haven't renounced yet - I am still on a student visa, but I am engaged to USC and will have a PhD soon so am just doing a little research into what to prepare for.

Like I said - I am interested in research for NASA which is government and you have to be USC to work for them. I want to know if there is likely to be any problems or delays due to being ex-UK.

Thanks.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
You do that to become a USC. The UK doesn't care and you can reclaim but; to whom do you owe your loyalty if push comes to shove.
There's only one way I know of to lose your Brit citizenship: renouncing in front of a consul and paying a bloody hefty fee for the privilege.

Your loyalty should always be to yourself and your family, so that's easily solved!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:11 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by robousy
I want to know if there is likely to be any problems or delays due to being ex-UK.

Thanks.
it wasn't for Michael Foulds.......
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There's only one way I know of to lose your Brit citizenship: renouncing in front of a consul and paying a bloody hefty fee for the privilege.
Yes that's the only way to 'lose' your Brit Citzenship.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

No, I haven't renounced yet - I am still on a student visa, but I am engaged to USC and will have a PhD soon so am just doing a little research into what to prepare for.
Your research for dual citizenship should take you here. Cannot imagine why you want to renounce.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:14 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by fatbrit
consul or UK magistrate.

Liz doesn't give a monkeys if you place your hand on your heart for Uncle Sam.
It doesn't affect being British.

How much does it cost then?
jesus, tax you to the last..............
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:17 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Manc
consul or UK magistrate.

Liz doesn't give a monkeys if you place your hand on your heart for Uncle Sam.
It doesn't affect being British.

How much does it cost then?
jesus, tax you to the last..............

GBP 120 -- plus you never get a good forex rate at the consul!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:22 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said - I am interested in research for NASA which is government and you have to be USC to work for them. I want to know if there is likely to be any problems or delays due to being ex-UK.

Thanks.
Why don't you just call NASA and find out what they require. #1 you're not even married yet so I would cross that hurdle first.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:26 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
Why don't you just call NASA and find out what they require. #1 you're not even married yet so I would cross that hurdle first.

Yep -- just noticed that!

He's probably at 4+ years before it's even an issue!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Being johnny foreigner and getting USC...well it depends on the job and what kind of security clearance you might need...being a posty, it won't be a problem, but working for Boeing might etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.