Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Experian nightmare...

Experian nightmare...

Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default Experian nightmare...

Having a complete nightmare getting in touch with Experian to sort out what I believe is an error in their records for my SSN....

None of Experian's lines let you through to human if you haven't got a credit report reference. We can't get a credit report because we believe they've got my SSN number wrong in their system and so my details never match. Experian's credit report ordering system is automated by phone or internet and will not let me through. Freecreditreport etc have no ability to change anything in Experian's system and don't seem to be able to say what the problem is.

I've googled for tips. Someone else had got through by putting in a dummy credit report number which got him through to a person but I've tried this and it didn't take the dummy number.

Has anyone had this happen and found a way around it?

I am definitely in Experian's system because (just before I get rejected for the report for non-matching info), it asks me multi-choice questions about what car I drive and one of my cars is always in the list.

This whole issue came to light when we applied to Amex for a credit card (we already have a normal US Amex through the UK-US Amex process). Amex told us that the social security number I was giving did not match what the credit agency had.

Cheers,

Doug.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experian nightmare...

I really wouldn't risk the phone on this. Written, by mail and recorded delivery with signature is the only way to go.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Some phone systems will let you get through to a real person by continually pressing 0 at each option - might be worth a try (followed up by a letter).
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that you are going to find that you are not in the Experian system. Creditors do not necessarily report to all three credit bureaus.

As far as the listed car, I suspect that is just a coincidence.