Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expedited UK child passport? (expired - renewal)

Expedited UK child passport? (expired - renewal)

Old May 29th 2014, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expedited UK child passport? (expired - renewal)

So, we are due to fly to the UK on June 24th and I just now realised that both my children's UK passports expired a few months ago.

I have just completed the documentation online, there didn't seem to be a fast track option if you live abroad for a child's passport, is that correct? The turnaround time quoted is 6 weeks which puts us right up the creek without a paddle. Has anyone had a child passport back within a couple of weeks?

Our nearest consulate would be Atlanta if we had to get an emergency travel document. How long would you think I should wait before I pursue that option?

I will FedEx the passport applications in the morning.
Old May 29th 2014, 10:24 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expedited UK child passport? (expired - renewal)

i posted this in the other thread a few weeks ago
just renewed my 5 years old daughters passport. electronic app done around 20th March, countersigned doc sent in beginning april. passport back today - so within 6 weeks.
probably doesn't inspire confidence im afraid.
Old May 29th 2014, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i posted this in the other thread a few weeks ago

probably doesn't inspire confidence im afraid.
Old May 29th 2014, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I believe emergency travel documents only gets someone into the UK and not back to the US so if you use them, someone will need to check your mail for their passports and overnight them to the UK. The kids will be stuck in the UK until they get their passports.
Old May 29th 2014, 10:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I believe emergency travel documents only gets someone into the UK and not back to the US so if you use them, someone will need to check your mail for their passports and overnight them to the UK. The kids will be stuck in the UK until they get their passports.
An emergency travel document is valid for travel to multiple countries (up to 5) depending on endorsements. And while it is not eligible for the visa waiver program, it is a valid passport and can be used to enter the U.S. with a valid visa or green card.
Old May 29th 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael
If we're eligible to apply then according to the Consular website "The emergency travel document can also cover a return journey if you’re resident in the country you’re applying from".
Old May 29th 2014, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
If we're eligible to apply then according to the Consular website "The emergency travel document can also cover a return journey if you’re resident in the country you’re applying from".
I believe you have green cards so that should get you back to the US.
Old May 29th 2014, 11:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
The turnaround time quoted is 6 weeks which puts us right up the creek without a paddle.
There is a huge back log with overseas passport applications. Gather you should think in terms of 9 - 12 weeks minimum at the moment. Maybe longer.

Read the latter pages of this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815712
Old May 30th 2014, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

If emergency travel documents will get you into the UK ok, you could just use the one-the-spot Premium Processing to get the kids' passports done there. We used to book an appointment, then fly back from Switzerland and spend an afternoon in London getting it all sorted (they were in the middle of moving the Euro UK passport processing all over the place, centralising it in Paris, and we were suspicious of their ability to get the pps back to us unscathed...)
Old May 30th 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
There is a huge back log with overseas passport applications. Gather you should think in terms of 9 - 12 weeks minimum at the moment. Maybe longer.

Read the latter pages of this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815712
Lansbury, thanks, this helped me see that short of a miracle there is no way that the passports will be back in time, the passport system seems to be a bit of a shambles right now.

I talked to someone in the British Consulate General in Houston and told her the details, we now have an appointment for emergency travel documents as we will be in Houston the week before we are due to leave for the UK.