Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

Originally Posted by rockchick123
Ok....Hawaii is paradise and Arizona is full of white trash...what about FLA and NC?
Cary , NC was voted in the top 10 best places to live this week and it is very cheap to live there.
I could buy two houses there for the price of one everywhere else, but what is it like to live in NC?
Any takers?
How much do you consider "very cheap?
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

I've not lived in HI but my impression is:

it has one of the highest costs of living in the US
it's isolated from the rest of the US so if you like travelling, it'll cost a lot to get anywhere

At least in the continental US, you have the choice of flying or driving places but living in HI would severely limit your choices (unless you earn oodles and have plenty of time on your hands).
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

rockchick123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Don't write off AZ based on my statement as I have never lived there. Some people live in AZ and are as happy as a pig in shit. It's also a retirement destination for some reason.
I know it is full of Canadians escaping the cold. And the abundant golf courses are a big draw to some.
My neighbour is a lawyer and he makes a fortune down there. His son was struggling big time at school in Canada so he took him to Phoenix, put him in a private school and now he is pulling straight 'A' s.
His wife only lives there part of the time as she hates the heat and has a good job here.

There is a lot of white trash here too but it does not interfere with me so I really don't care. I know I won't be living anywhere near a trailor park wherever I live!
Anyway, there must be a reason that Scottsdale made it into the top 10 best places to live list yesterday. Can't be because of the affordable housing that is for certain.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the advice.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

rockchick123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

Originally Posted by Celsius
How much do you consider "very cheap?
In Cary, NC I could buy a good sized family home ( over 2,000 sq ft) for $250,000.

That is very cheap in my book.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rockchick123
In Cary, NC I could buy a good sized family home ( over 2,000 sq ft) for $250,000.

That is very cheap in my book.
Where I live you can get well over 2000 sq ft plus for under 100k no problem.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

As for Florida, if you do a search back, you'll find tons of posts on what its like.

Some points:

South Florida is generally very expensive, often up there with California.
Central and Northern Florida much cheaper but getting more expensive. Despite recent lull in market, the baby boomers will be coming here, as many can't or won't afford CA anymore.

Weather is very hot and humid in summer, nice in shoulder seasons.
Driving is terrible.
Wages are low.
Insurance is expensive.
Hurricanes a threat.
Christmas is crap.

Beaches are good.
Boating and watersport activities are great.
Mexico and Carribbean are in easy reach.
When not working, lifestyle can be great.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:11 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
I've not lived in HI but my impression is:

it has one of the highest costs of living in the US
it's isolated from the rest of the US so if you like travelling, it'll cost a lot to get anywhere

At least in the continental US, you have the choice of flying or driving places but living in HI would severely limit your choices (unless you earn oodles and have plenty of time on your hands).
Well actually according to some Americans, you can drive to HI, actually you can drive anywhere in the world apparently!!!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:18 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Arizona is also known as the 'dumbest state' when it comes to education, so that should tell you something. Yes, Texas were in the running, but we beat them at their own game & we were crowned the dumbest, we're number 1 at being think, wooohooo - Go AZ!!!
Following on from this, here is an example. My Step Brother In Law is 10, I have been married into their family for nearly 6 years, we have had many discussions over the years about where I am from, why I talk differently etc etc. Last week as we were discussing England & the population density compared to American states while using one of those Leap Pad digital learning books that my SBIL has had for years, while on the world map page, my SBIL asks me, where abouts in America is England. The school he goes to is one of the highest ranking in Arizona, this does not fill me with confidence.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well actually according to some Americans, you can drive to HI, actually you can drive anywhere in the world apparently!!!
Not to Canada you can't 'cos its overseas.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

firtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nice

Florida eh?

I have a friend selling their 4 bedroom, 2 bath, probably around 2,000 sq ft home that is on a lakeside piece of property on the edge of the Ocala National Forest. They want $150K for it. There are some good deals still around, but they tend to be somewhat rural.

Weather...hot as hades today, mid 90;s, about 65% humidity and slowly building up for this afternoon's thunderstorm/fireworks. So, roughly, 90's daytime and 70's at night or early morning. The winter months are nicer, very rarely gets cold, below 60, during the daylight hours, but can drop below freezing at night.

Hurricanes. Well, if you are on the coast, it can be problematic. If you live far enough inland, it isn't so bad. I sat through the 2004 hurricanes on my front screen porch, watching it all unfold. Had no damage but was out of electricity for quite some time on two of the storms.

Driving. Driving is bad everywhere, whether it be North or South America, Europe etc etc. At least the roads are in good condition here and not crowded, except at rush hour in urban areas!!

Expenses in general. Florida is expensive in terms of what you need to have, insurance, food and depending on where you are, county/city taxes.

The fun stuff. There is a lot to do in Florida, the only thing that comes to mind that isn't available is winter sports.

I moved here from Scotland 29 yrs ago and still love it. I also have a place in Spain and find it to be very similar in terms of cost, driving and leisure activities. The weather is hot and dry as opposed to hot and humid.

North Carolina is great too, but depending on where one is, it can get pretty chilly in the winter. Propert prices seem to be rising there rapidly, according to friends I have there. It's about the only other place I would consider relocating to if I were to move out of Florida. Curiously, a lot of Native Floridians keep second homes up there and try to retire there.

So, there you have a thumbnail sketch on what Florida looks like to me.

Richard
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:59 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Sorry to be Devil's Advocate or whatever but there is a lot of "White Trash" in and from Arizona. Including White Flight Californians. In my personal experience the only good thing about AZ is the Grand Canyon. Other than that, hotter than Satans underpants.
What are you talking about? I thought AZ was paradise. I loved it and would still live there if my other half didn't insist on living on the East Coast. (The things I do for love ) I've seen more White Trash in CT, GA and TN than I've seen in AZ. Have you spent much time in Scottsdale? It's like a rich man's dream....gorgeous. The heat was wonderful....sunny absolutely every single day and drier than a nun's underpants.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:01 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

BA do direct flights from Phoenix to Heathrow.
It takes nearly 14 hours though....looooong haul. That was the flight I took when I emigrated. I got on one end in the freezing torrential rain, and got off the other into 90 degree sunshine. It was a bit long though....might be better with a break in the middle. Flipping expensive too. Now I only pay about $350 from NYC. I hate JFK though....Sky Harbor in Phoenix is my favorite airport (if there is such a thing).
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:05 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
It takes nearly 14 hours though....looooong haul. That was the flight I took when I emigrated. I got on one end in the freezing torrential rain, and got off the other into 90 degree sunshine. It was a bit long though....might be better with a break in the middle. Flipping expensive too. Now I only pay about $350 from NYC. I hate JFK though....Sky Harbor in Phoenix is my favorite airport (if there is such a thing).
Direct makes it so much easier with a kid though, less time travelling overall & rushing to catch another plane would just be a friggin' nightmare! I do like Sky Harbor, it's nice & small, it could do with more shops & places to eat though.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:11 pm
Rock Goddess

Direct makes it so much easier with a kid though, less time travelling overall & rushing to catch another plane would just be a friggin' nightmare! I do like Sky Harbor, it's nice & small, it could do with more shops & places to eat though.
It's always easy to park there, and it had a Starbucks cafe right in the middle so I can get my Frappucino I love all the little gift stores selling Native American trinkets. I bought a lovely white leather dream catcher there which I still have hanging in my car. You can watch the planes taking off from the parking lot too.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:17 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
It's always easy to park there, and it had a Starbucks cafe right in the middle so I can get my Frappucino I love all the little gift stores selling Native American trinkets. I bought a lovely white leather dream catcher there which I still have hanging in my car. You can watch the planes taking off from the parking lot too.
It's easy to get in & out of, good access & parking is cheap! Plus the international arrivals section (just in front of the Starbucks) is so small that it's really easy to spot your arrival, so no pushing hundreds of people out the way just in case you miss them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.