Reload this Page >

Expat Tax Software

Expat Tax Software

Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

ademcc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat Tax Software

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone here has filed their UK tax returns with a commercial software product? I always used the online tool in the UK, but you can't use it if you live abroad apparently

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated.

Deadline isn't until October, but they owe me some money I think
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Tax Software

Originally Posted by ademcc
I always used the online tool in the UK, but you can't use it if you live abroad apparently
Can't help you (except maybe Sage), but why doesn't that surprise me, coming from a website that was at one time only "open" Mon-Fri 9-5? Only in Britain...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Can't help you (except maybe Sage), but why doesn't that surprise me, coming from a website that was at one time only "open" Mon-Fri 9-5? Only in Britain...
The MA unemployment website was like that until a couple of months ago...you'd spend hours trying to log in some times, but it was still quicker than using the phone.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:04 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

We used taxcalc. www.taxcalc.com. Hubby still has a house in Scotland and HMRC told us that we had to file returns for 2009 and 2010 and then we are good to go since we make less than the UK personal allowance on it.tion code. We used the personal 6 form and it costs us about $37 with the excahange rate.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:11 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention that we needed to register online with HMRC first to get an activation code . They mail it to your home in the states and you use it when you set up your online filing. If you decide that you need an accountant I highly recommend Pete Newton. We found him here on BE and he did our US taxes and helped me with questions about our UK taxes.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Originally Posted by ademcc
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone here has filed their UK tax returns with a commercial software product?
I've used ProTax Light for the last 5 years http://www.tax.co.uk/light/index.htm.

It costs ₤20 each year.

As penguinbar pointed out, you need to get your user details set up with HMRC.

It is free to try. Until purchased, it puts a watermark on any printing and it won't let you actually file the online return. Other than that, it is fully functional.

If taxcalc has a free trial, perhaps you could try both and choose which you prefer.