Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expat Ride - Car Leasing/Financing for Expats

Expat Ride - Car Leasing/Financing for Expats

Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Steve2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expat Ride - Car Leasing/Financing for Expats

I've just signed up to Consumer Report along with the add on subscription for "Cars Best Deals Plus" using this the AutoSource quotes look to be within ~$400 of their best price targets, which boost confidence that they are offering a reasonable service. Also suggests there is not that much room to haggle.
The primary reason for getting a loan against the car is for credit rating so intent putting down 50%+ deposit.
But I take the point about checking up on the incidentals given my quote only gave the monthly payments and no details on upfront costs, although they did confirm there was no penalty for early repayment.

Steve
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:56 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink

Nice! Enjoy the F-150!
I am! Very impressed with it so far

If you told me when we got here 10 years ago that one day I'd be driving a truck I'd have laughed my b0ll0x off, but its like an insidious creeping disease that starts taking over.....it starts slowly with the odd "you're welcome" or "have a nice day" slipping out, then you start slipping in the odd ter-may-doe and thinking that the portions aren't really that big, then bang you wake up one morning and there's a friggin truck parked in the drive, and you realize that all hope has gone.
The final nail will be when I can say "y'all" with a straight face......................
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:18 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

If you told me when we got here 10 years ago that one day I'd be driving a truck I'd have laughed my b0ll0x off, but its like an insidious creeping disease that starts taking over.....it starts slowly with the odd "you're welcome" or "have a nice day" slipping out, then you start slipping in the odd ter-may-doe and thinking that the portions aren't really that big, then bang you wake up one morning and there's a friggin truck parked in the drive, and you realize that all hope has gone.
The final nail will be when I can say "y'all" with a straight face......................
Haha, my in-laws continually have me saying "Y'all!". They think it's hilarious when I say it.
Can't see myself going the truck route, but never say never... Large(ish) SUVs have been my sin. Never would have dreamt of having one in the UK, but here I really enjoy being in one. It's true though how we acclimatize, I'm still trying to recover from the fact that I acclimatized to the portion sizes
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Walkerhome is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha, my in-laws continually have me saying "Y'all!". They think it's hilarious when I say it.
Can't see myself going the truck route, but never say never... Large(ish) SUVs have been my sin. Never would have dreamt of having one in the UK, but here I really enjoy being in one. It's true though how we acclimatize, I'm still trying to recover from the fact that I acclimatized to the portion sizes
Great - so in answer to my question?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

Same thing happened with my Hubby. He now has an F150, cant prise the baseball cap off his head and now tips 20% in restaurants - Bloody hell I will divorce him if he starts wearing dungarees and grows his hair into a ponytail.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your visa situation i.e. is it work based, then there is no harm in approaching VW directly as they do an expats scheme. I have emailed a couple of dealers in the area I am moving to - one was happy to provide some indicative figures (he quoted $349 per month on a Golf GTi with $1250 down at a rate of 'about 1.5%). I don't think I could beat that through Expat Ride or Intl Autosource, plus if there a few dealers in the vicinity then I am happy to play them off against each other.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Expat Ride - Car Leasing/Financing for Expats

Originally Posted by captainsensible
Depending on your visa situation i.e. is it work based, then there is no harm in approaching VW directly as they do an expats scheme. I have emailed a couple of dealers in the area I am moving to - one was happy to provide some indicative figures (he quoted $349 per month on a Golf GTi with $1250 down at a rate of 'about 1.5%). I don't think I could beat that through Expat Ride or Intl Autosource, plus if there a few dealers in the vicinity then I am happy to play them off against each other.
This is good to know - It is a work based visa
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Give dealer quote to Intl Autosource and they'll beat it, they did with Ford.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Had a call with Autosource today. The guy was really helpful. I've asked for options on both lease and finance on a Ford Escape. Seems like the pricing is good, but just to be sure, I've contacted the local Ford dealer for a competitive quote.

I was impressed though.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I have had quotes from Autosource before, on a Ford. The guy I was dealing with said that Ford will only do expat deals with L1 visa holders. Anyone know if this is true as I am going on an E2? I intend to visit some Ford dealers when I go in a couple of weeks time (for a short visit) but if anyone knows whether they will lease directly to E2 holders that would be useful!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

they said L-1 to me. Mind you, that may have been about leasing.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
they said L-1 to me. Mind you, that may have been about leasing.
L1 advised also
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:16 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I have had quotes from Autosource before, on a Ford. The guy I was dealing with said that Ford will only do expat deals with L1 visa holders. Anyone know if this is true as I am going on an E2? I intend to visit some Ford dealers when I go in a couple of weeks time (for a short visit) but if anyone knows whether they will lease directly to E2 holders that would be useful!
I can't help for Ford, but can add that VW accept H1B's. As an E2 is only valid for 2 years, there may be different rules surrounding it.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We are on an H1B and have a Ford We got a letter from the company stating that they would be sponsoring for green cards which Ford were happy with Obviously not going to help if on an E2 visa
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I can't help for Ford, but can add that VW accept H1B's. As an E2 is only valid for 2 years, there may be different rules surrounding it.
My E2 is valid for 5 years, plus I will be adjusting status to LPR way before then anyway.

Will just have to go to a dealers and see what they say!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.