British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   ExPat phone home... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/expat-phone-home-748266/)

MummyKitty Feb 12th 2012 6:32 pm

ExPat phone home...

What do people use to call the UK? My dad lives in France and has some 0845 number that is cheap to call and free for him to call the UK from, I'd like to set up something similar here if it's available.

Our wifi connection is excellent, so we have used Skype quite a lot, but I don't enjoy it much and I miss just chatting on a normal phone. Is Skype the cheapest option to call landlines with? I can stick with it if that's the case, might need a headset or similar though! I'd like a number for UK people to call that's cheaper for them too.

Jerseygirl Feb 12th 2012 6:52 pm

Re: ExPat phone home...

Originally Posted by MummyKitty (Post 9898209)
What do people use to call the UK? My dad lives in France and has some 0845 number that is cheap to call and free for him to call the UK from, I'd like to set up something similar here if it's available.

Our wifi connection is excellent, so we have used Skype quite a lot, but I don't enjoy it much and I miss just chatting on a normal phone. Is Skype the cheapest option to call landlines with? I can stick with it if that's the case, might need a headset or similar though! I'd like a number for UK people to call that's cheaper for them too.

We have a deal with our phone/internet/cable provider (Verizon)...calls to the UK only cost a few cents per minute.

Not sure about phone cards. First time I used one was at Christmas when we were in Canada. Cost $5...we called rellies in the UK several times...still have loads of hours left on it.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 12th 2012 7:31 pm

Our local phone company, the calls only cost between 1¢ and 3¢ a minute depending on the time of day and day of the week. I don't even bother checking the time or limiting calls for that price.

cranston Feb 12th 2012 7:38 pm

Google voice via laptop, 2 cents per minute and excellent call quality.

Britmom3 Feb 12th 2012 7:51 pm

I use Verizon phone card $29.99 for 500 mins and it last for ever !

fatbrit Feb 12th 2012 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by MummyKitty (Post 9898209)

Do you mean WiFi or have you got a router for wired internet?

A VOIP service is cheapest if you have wired internet.
Look at an Obi110 for hardware, and Callcentric (UK number) and/or Google (US number) for your provider. You can have both in an Obi110 box.

MummyKitty Feb 12th 2012 8:34 pm

We have a wired router, but wifi for the netbooks/laptops/assorted gadgetry.

I've seen some phonecards, but I don't really understand how they work, do I charge them like an old fashioned phonecard then just call a number? And does it mean that people can call me, or do they need a separate phonecard too?

Jerseygirl, we're with Verizon too, did you have to sign up to a particular bundle or anything?

Jerseygirl Feb 12th 2012 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by MummyKitty (Post 9898398)

I've seen some phonecards, but I don't really understand how they work, do I charge them like an old fashioned phonecard then just call a number? And does it mean that people can call me, or do they need a separate phonecard too?

Jerseygirl, we're with Verizon too, did you have to sign up to a particular bundle or anything?

It was a special offer...they have them all the time. I could choose between many options...but that was over a year ago.

The phone card I bought has a phone number to call...you call that number first...then it asks you to dial the number you want to call.

fatbrit Feb 12th 2012 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by MummyKitty (Post 9898398)

So plug an obi110 in and you're good to go.

tonrob Feb 12th 2012 9:35 pm

We use Vonage. Around $25 per month and it includes all calls to UK, Germany and Italy (and plenty of other places too).

Which is a good job as we make a lot of calls to the UK, Germany and Italy.

And other places too.

fatbrit Feb 12th 2012 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9898481)
We use Vonage. Around $25 per month and it includes all calls to UK, Germany and Italy (and plenty of other places too).

Which is a good job as we make a lot of calls to the UK, Germany and Italy.

And other places too.

You really do need to be on the phone an awful lot to make those unlimited plans worthwhile. I subscribed to Lingo at one time when work kept me on the phone 4 to 6 hours a day, 5 days a week.....and it was the cheapest. But for regular domestic usage, pay per minute plans are usually a better bet. Google's even better at the moment since it's free for US calls, and around 2c/min to most European landlines, $25 worth of calls is over 20 hours. Are you really going to be gabbling that long to Europe every month?

Lion in Winter Feb 12th 2012 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9898511)
You really do need to be on the phone an awful lot to make those unlimited plans worthwhile. I subscribed to Lingo at one time when work kept me on the phone 4 to 6 hours a day, 5 days a week.....and it was the cheapest. But for regular domestic usage, pay per minute plans are usually a better bet. Google's even better at the moment since it's free for US calls, and around 2c/min to most European landlines, $25 worth of calls is over 20 hours. Are you really going to be gabbling that long to Europe every month?

I got a local Google Talk number for a specific number in the UK that I call most, and use my mobile to call a landline there for no additional cost at all.

fatbrit Feb 12th 2012 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 9898516)
I got a local Google Talk number for a specific number in the UK that I call most, and use my mobile to call a landline there for no additional cost at all.

If you use an obi110 box, you can use a regular old phone and set it up similarly.

I love the features in Google Voice -- though I have a nasty feeling Google probably know a lot more about me than my own mother.

Lion in Winter Feb 12th 2012 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9898525)

I love the features in Google Voice -- though I have a nasty feeling Google probably know a lot more about me than my own mother.

Oh they do. A lot more.

Bob Feb 12th 2012 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9898525)

Yeah, I'd put those naughty toys down if I were you :p