Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ExPat phone home...

ExPat phone home...

Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ExPat phone home...

Get a Skype handset. Looks and works like a regular phone. Ours supports both landline and Skype on it.

Or run Skype on iPhone. Same as using a phone.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

On run skype on a droid phone. I have that too.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

paulinespens will become famous soon enoughpaulinespens will become famous soon enough

I got my vonage down to $12.50 a month again with free calls to England. Just threaten too cancel.

I got a 0151 (Liverpool) virtual number $5 a month my family uses too call me here. It just rings my house phone.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

LocalPhone is a Sheffield company providing a useful phone service.

1. for 79p a month they will provide UK local number (huge selection of area codes) that can be forwarded to your US mobile/landline at 0.5 cents per minute to you. cheap for people to call you.

2. here in the US, they provide you local numbers that you call with your US mobile/landline that you designate to UK (0.8p per minute to UK landlines) or other international numbers. convenient for you to call someone in UK/international cheaply when out and about with your mobile.

3. you can call UK 800 numbers for free; and UK 845 numbers for 6p per minute (some internet phone companies are rip off on these - don't know about Skype but be warned)

4. they offer internet phone using a browser from their web site

5. they offer an iPhone app to call internationally through WiFi

(6. they offer SIP service if you have a phone adapter (Siemens Gigaset, Cisco Linksys etc))

I find the above is very cost effective for pay per use - they do not charge monthly subscription

Last edited by chuckles67; Feb 13th 2012 at 4:34 am.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:46 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I use Skype or Viber. Viber is an iphone application that allows you to call for free if the person you are calling has downloaded the app also (regardless of their location), assuming you use the same kind of phone...

Waiting for the China comments...
Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a landline, so have added the International option to my T-Mobile PAYG. It's $10 a month for unlimited international phone calls (to landlines only) and texts.

Probably not quite the cheapest way of doing it, but it seems to be very reassuring for the family that they can ping me an email saying to call this evening, and then not fret about 'oh, this call must be costing you a fortune, dear!'
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:02 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point

try vonage got some good deals for unlimited minutes
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We have a VoIP phone with a UK and US number, we also have an app on our phones that uses our VoIP numbers. Although that caused a bit of confusion a few weeks ago when hubby called a friend in London from New York using the app, friend missed called and called number back (not recognising the number) which came through to me in Florida and said 'someone has called me from this number!?', I replied 'No I haven't', him 'Yes you have' etc etc....then I remembered afterwards that it could have been hubby...thankfully hubby's friend saw the funny side of it as I was not in the best of moods
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
We have a VoIP phone with a UK and US number, we also have an app on our phones that uses our VoIP numbers. Although that caused a bit of confusion a few weeks ago when hubby called a friend in London from New York using the app, friend missed called and called number back (not recognising the number) which came through to me in Florida and said 'someone has called me from this number!?', I replied 'No I haven't', him 'Yes you have' etc etc....then I remembered afterwards that it could have been hubby...thankfully hubby's friend saw the funny side of it as I was not in the best of moods
who is yr VOIP with if dont mind asking?

thanks
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by londonights
who is yr VOIP with if dont mind asking?

thanks
Will have to get back to you as that is hubby's area of expertise and he is currently on a plane home
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:17 pm
Banned

no probs wibbly nice name btw hehe
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig was the character in the first book I bought for my eldest child
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:24 pm
Banned

londonights was the first boy band i ever listened to awful!! well am a guy lol