Reload this Page >

Expat network in Chicago

Expat network in Chicago

Old May 4th 2003, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Mark Fletcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat network in Chicago

Hi there,

I was wondering if there was such a network existing in Chicago for Brits. I move over there next month to the Lake view neighbourhood and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on good bars frequented by Expats (if any exist) whilst I get my feet.

Cheers,

Mark
Old May 4th 2003, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

BritAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expat network in Chicago

I used to live there and I know there are wonderful Irish pub/bars in the Chicago area. I'll keep my ears open for you. Best of luck in the "windy city"....

Hey, did you know they call it the "windy city" not because of the wind...but because of all the "windy" politicians? Now you can impress all your new Chicago friends with this bit of trivia. If THEY think the answer is "wind"...then they've got their heads up their bums. lol
Old May 6th 2003, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Mark Fletcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah Ive been out in that neighbourhood a couple of times, quite a good few bars!

<SNIP>

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by Mark Fletcher; May 7th 2003 at 7:53 am.
Old May 7th 2003, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

BritAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mark Fletcher

Im in a situation where Im trying to get over to the States to live with my girlfriend (who's a US citizen) and Im hoping to find some kind of work over there whilst Im on a visitors visa.

I know the economic situation is pretty bleak, but at the very least do you think Id be able to find a bar job in that neighbourhood somehow?

Mark,
I'd be really careful about trying to get employment while on visitor visa. I believe by law, you would not be able to work legally. Now that does not mean you wouldn't find someone who might hire you for cash. But they run the risk of getting in major trouble with government for hiring illegals, if they and you are caught.

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help...but might be a good idea to email me, instead of public forum.

Best of luck...