Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

expat/H4 meet up in California / Orange County?

expat/H4 meet up in California / Orange County?

Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default expat/H4 meet up in California / Orange County?

Hi, my husband and I have recently relocated in Newport Beach, CA. I am on an H4 visa and was wondering if anyone in the same situation would like to meet up, get a coffee, perhaps do some shopping ? Let me know!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expat/H4 meet up in California / Orange County?

I'd love to but unfortunatly we are in San Diego and too far away. I'm also not allowed to work on my visa. We've been here for about a month now and I must admit since I am so used to always working I'm finding it tough to think of things to do whilst my husband is at work. I've not met anyone yet really either. How are you getting on?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

yes exactly the same here! I looked at some charities (in my field so I dont lose track) but no one has a desk space to give me (ill look again in Jan as most of them are closing for xmas). I am registering to a local college but waiting to see if I am accepted or on a waiting list (but again thats not until end of Jan) so for now I have resorted to learn how to knit! :-) its actually quite fun, but not quite what I had in my mind
what about you, how do you get "busy"?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent off for my EAD so hoping to get that by the end of January. I'm trying to make a point of going out somewhere every day as it's too easy just to sit in. I've also started getting into letter writing which is a nice way to keep in touch with friends back home too. I must admit though my home has never been this clean and tidy!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
I must admit though my home has never been this clean and tidy!
ahah so is mine!!
about this EAD, I never heard about it before now.. Are you an H4? I just had a look if I want to apply, i first need to do a I 485 but I dont think I can do a I 485 because I have only been in the US since October.. is there a loophole?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey, I'm on a J2 visa which means whilst I'm not allowed to work on entry to the US I can apply for the EAD at any time once we are physically present on US soil. We are going to be here for about 5 years all going well so I want to get back into the word of work as quickly as possable.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
ahah so is mine!!
about this EAD, I never heard about it before now.. Are you an H4? I just had a look if I want to apply, i first need to do a I 485 but I dont think I can do a I 485 because I have only been in the US since October.. is there a loophole?
You cannot apply for an EAD (employment authorization document) whilst on an H4 unless your OH's company applies for green cards and you then receive an I 485.

Try meetup.com (it maybhave a hyphen in it) or volunteermatch.com

I was on an H4 for a number of years and I found the best thing to do was have some kind of routine and yes, make a point of getting out somewhere every day.
A fellow BE member's spouse wasn't able to work when she first came out here and took up her long lost love of art and is now a very successful artist in her own right (google Alison Jardine) so you never know......
Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=lisa67;9784835]

QUOTE]

yes I tried meet up and go to a group once a week but its in the evening.
there is no "h4/expat" group in my area unfortunately

Just found out today that the courses I was planning to register at the local college are all full
so im going to have to think of plan b...
Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=laety;9784879]
Originally Posted by lisa67

QUOTE]

Just found out today that the courses I was planning to register at the local college are all full
Sorry to hear about the courses. I found it really difficult to find daytime courses that I wanted to do. Everything seemed to be in the evening when I wanted to be with my OH.
Fingers crossed you find something soon before you go nuts
Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's the problem I am having. I keep finding clubs/groups but they are all in the evenings or weekends which is when I want to spend time with my husband. I am going to head down to the library this week to see if I can find anything else.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Lisa! fortunately xmas is nearly there and hubby has 2 weeks off, so that will help up until next year!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=laety;9784879]
Originally Posted by lisa67

QUOTE]

The OC expats meet-up group moved to Facebook as Meetup.com was starting to charge for groups.

Here's the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BRANKS/
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=limeynus;9786151]
what type of group is it? I tried to have a look but its a "closed" group and cant see any description
do they meet up during the day?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=laety;9786271]
Originally Posted by limeynus

what type of group is it? I tried to have a look but its a "closed" group and cant see any description
do they meet up during the day?
It's a group of british expats. I believe that any big group get togethers are organized on weekends, but it might be worth attending with your husband to get to know some of us. I believe that people do get together outside of the group, on their own schedule.

Generally we meet at the English/Irish places in and around the OC.

Send Kath a message, explain who you are and see if she'll add you. I know we had some problems with people in the group being harassed which is why I think it's a closed group.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

How are you doing now??

Hope all is well. My wife and I are actually members of the BRANKS thanks to Kath who also happens to be our neighbour.

We are a very small group and have had a few nice gathering over other members houses for a nice drink and bite etc.

If you were interested let Kath know that we have been in contact before our move through British Expats. She knows us as Kou & Sue

Take care and who knows we may meet in one of these gatherings!

[QUOTE=limeynus;9786681]

It's a group of british expats. I believe that any big group get togethers are organized on weekends, but it might be worth attending with your husband to get to know some of us. I believe that people do get together outside of the group, on their own schedule.

Generally we meet at the English/Irish places in and around the OC.

Send Kath a message, explain who you are and see if she'll add you. I know we had some problems with people in the group being harassed which is why I think it's a closed group.