Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expat Car Insurance

Expat Car Insurance

Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

TeamMAJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat Car Insurance

My husband and I are moving to the US (Houston) in a couple of weeks. I am American, he is British. We both hold full UK drivers licenses and no USA drivers licenses. We will be borrowing a car for a few months and want to insure it with our UK licenses while we wait to apply for TX drivers license. I cannot find a company who provides this service. Any ideas?!? Thank you!!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:24 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Car Insurance

When we first moved here we used State Farm. We bought and insured our cars before we had our Texas drivers licenses.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:32 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We used (and still do) AiG. They are now called travel guard. You pay a joining fee and it gives you access to cheaper insurance etc. We saved more than the membership on our first 6 months of insurance. No problems about using our UK licenses until we got Texas ones.
Welcome to Houston!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

The Lizard (Geico) is also a possible choice.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamMAJ
My husband and I are moving to the US (Houston) in a couple of weeks. I am American, he is British. We both hold full UK drivers licenses and no USA drivers licenses. We will be borrowing a car for a few months and want to insure it with our UK licenses while we wait to apply for TX drivers license. I cannot find a company who provides this service. Any ideas?!? Thank you!!
http://www.progressive.com
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Weeze
We used (and still do) AiG. They are now called travel guard. You pay a joining fee and it gives you access to cheaper insurance etc. We saved more than the membership on our first 6 months of insurance. No problems about using our UK licenses until we got Texas ones.
Welcome to Houston!
Ditto!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Rikki_v6 is an unknown quantity at this point

We just went through the same thing. You can get insured no problem with your UK license (we used Geico) however you may not get the discounts as you need a state license for that. There is some form of agreement between the US and UK where they allow you to get the discount for 30 days - then you need to give them your state license number however only Geico seemed to offer this. It might also differ in TX from CA. Hope it helps.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rikki_v6
We just went through the same thing. You can get insured no problem with your UK license (we used Geico) however you may not get the discounts as you need a state license for that. There is some form of agreement between the US and UK where they allow you to get the discount for 30 days - then you need to give them your state license number however only Geico seemed to offer this. It might also differ in TX from CA. Hope it helps.
there is no form of agreement ..thats an insurance company scam ..to pull you in
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
there is no form of agreement ..thats an insurance company scam ..to pull you in
Well, if that's the case then they should offer scams like that more often. I was looking at having no insurance until I got my US license and Mercury wouldn't insure me either but Geico said yeah no problem then saved us $300 for the 6 month period. No complaints from my side.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

deftoneuk is on a distinguished road

I had no problem getting insured with Geico with my UK license.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

We did the move from UK to TX in February this year. We brought proof of no claims letters from both our UK insurers as both Progressive and Geico said they would take some notice of this and had no problem getting insured with Progressive (Geico was more expensive in our case) with our UK licenses. It was pretty expensive at about $150 a month but that was with full coverage for everything for 6 months coverage. We were told that after 6 months insurance companies would expect us to have got US licenses although they wouls still insure on the UK licenses for the first year (at a price). We have just changed to a new provider for half the price now that we have TX licenses and 6 months US driving history too.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, if that's the case then they should offer scams like that more often. I was looking at having no insurance until I got my US license and Mercury wouldn't insure me either but Geico said yeah no problem then saved us $300 for the 6 month period. No complaints from my side.
Funny I never think of it as saving, if I buy something in Safeway because it is more expensive in Whole Foods, have I saved anything?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most companies will do it if you call them, but you'll pay a premium for not having a US drivers license.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Funny I never think of it as saving, if I buy something in Safeway because it is more expensive in Whole Foods, have I saved anything?
Depends how much further away Safeway was

In our case, one woman from Geico quoted us about $120/month to have me and my wife on the insurance with only my wife having a CA license and I would have to wait 6 months to see any discount even if I got my CA license the following day. Mercury were about the same but they wouldn't add me on, so it was just for my wife.

When we called Geico back to 'go with their deal' we got another, more senior person who told us quite confidently that there was an "agreement" between UK and US for insurance (Bull$h!t maybe?!) but then he suddenly quoted us $60/month for us both - so in that case, I would say yes, we have saved a few bucks.

Don't know why the second quote was so much less, and nor do I care but it made me happy.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:09 am
Ray

Depends how much further away Safeway was

In our case, one woman from Geico quoted us about $120/month to have me and my wife on the insurance with only my wife having a CA license and I would have to wait 6 months to see any discount even if I got my CA license the following day. Mercury were about the same but they wouldn't add me on, so it was just for my wife.

When we called Geico back to 'go with their deal' we got another, more senior person who told us quite confidently that there was an "agreement" between UK and US for insurance (Bull$h!t maybe?!) but then he suddenly quoted us $60/month for us both - so in that case, I would say yes, we have saved a few bucks.

Don't know why the second quote was so much less, and nor do I care but it made me happy.
my wife is an insurance agent for the last 30 years ....
she says you are an idiot ...is the agreement between Geico and the UK goverment ...she say you are probably paying the correct price same as everybody else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.